The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar recording
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Guitar recording

Whats up forum ?. (Before reading...dont laugh at my statements cuz i have almost to no knowledge on how to record a guitar so far)

Wel good to be back now after a while :D....
now i had a question considering guitar recording since that im on a tight budget i wanna start recording a guitar that im getting soon a yamaha pacifica 112 and record it straight into my tascam us122L wich has a mic/guitar switch from what i know it turns the channel to a HI z for guitar or bass. So earlyer ive read somewherre on a forum that recording dricketly give,s you a thin and digital sound but with a preamp between your guitar would result into a more fuller amp sound like its supposed to be ??? doesnt make sense to me but whatsoever.

Ive chosen for a Monster cabel already to connect my guitar to my interface seems they have an respectable reputation in certain studio,s ??? so i gues the bad quality i'll maybe get wont be the cause off the cable.

My mission (lol) is to get decent quality this way instead off doing it trough amp cuz from what ive seen on youtube and stuff......people be recording trough realy expensive amps and diffrent mics and hey ? i cant afford all that so yeah anything is better then refill/vst guitar sounds, cuz mainly i'd be recording some early 2000 rnb stuff, some off that funky wah stuff and reggae + i'm also wanting to buy a bass guitar later.

I'm just getting tired off the same routine....click click load up sounds and hit the keyboard.... im realy intrested in guitars now and im willing to put more effort in my creation and ACTUALLY WORK and get that live feeling in my music.

Hope some people can help me out off this ''dilemma'' haha :P.

Wel Happy holidays and a happy new year :P.

G'd up productions.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Haha...ok i didn't understand half of what you said, but i got the gist of it. You should be fine just starting off with the Hi-z input on your interface and then using a VST plugin...just mess around with the VST...once you do that, if you're not happy with the results, then you can start looking at how to improve from there.

A better DI and everything will obviously work better...but even then most people in the GS forum who will complain about all that sort of stuff will almost always prefer the sound of a mic in front of an amp compared to direct recording anyway...but i guess in your situation, the point is that you won't know yourself what you need until after you just plug it into the Hi-z input of your interface first anyway...and work from there.

Personally i prefer the sound of a good amp and a mic in front of that, but i can still get pretty usable sounds plugging straight into the Hi-z input of an interface and tweaking a plugin from there...
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict
With your interface already being setup for HiZ in (the guitar switch on the input) there's not a whole lot technically that a different preamp can bring to the table.

You've essentially got a preamp with a DI box in your Tascam.

That's not to say that improvements can't be had. But really...What you have is perfectly fine. Drop some coin on an amp sim like Amplitube or whatever the cool cats are using these days. Sounds like to me you're gonna be after "sparkly" clean sounds moreso than heavy distortion ones. This will also work fine for your bass guitar. Again...Improvements CAN be had...But they aren't cheap, and I don't think you're gonna know what you need to do until you play around with what you've got. And really...What you've got will work fine!

Plug-in, turn up, play hard.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. Yess i dont know yet what im up 2 but im tryin to be informed as mutch as i can be at the moment. i got guitar rig 3 already. I might get a shure sm57 and a Roland cube xl 15 tough my sleeping room is only 4 meters long by 2 meters width and i live in a apartment so yeah ive got neighbours everywherre :P....i'm living on the top floor tough (2nd).

anyhow i think ill stick to the Line in off my tascam for now tho.
And do you realy need to play that loud to get proper recordings i mean damn the genre,s i named herre up above aren't that noisy.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdupproductions View Post
i live in a apartment so yeah ive got neighbours everywherre :P....i'm living on the top floor tough (2nd).
Cranking the amp at an apartment might be a problem( i used to have the same problem until last year). Guitar rig is fine i like some of the amps there. But another option is recording the guitars directly to the computer and re-amping them afterwards in a studio in a few hours.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I suggest looking into Cab IRs, free or commercial, and other vst amp sims.

Guitarampmodeling.com

Check that forum out, lots of information on getting the best tone possible from just going straight into your interface. They also keep up to date with all the info from the commercial releases (TH2, GR4, etc..) and also its the place were basically all the freeware amp makers will post (LePou, Onqel..).
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enisanci View Post
Cranking the amp at an apartment might be a problem( i used to have the same problem until last year). Guitar rig is fine i like some of the amps there. But another option is recording the guitars directly to the computer and re-amping them afterwards in a studio in a few hours.
Wel cranking it up imo isn't necesary.....tough ?.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrick View Post
I suggest looking into Cab IRs, free or commercial, and other vst amp sims.

Guitarampmodeling.com

Check that forum out, lots of information on getting the best tone possible from just going straight into your interface. They also keep up to date with all the info from the commercial releases (TH2, GR4, etc..) and also its the place were basically all the freeware amp makers will post (LePou, Onqel..).
Thanks dude. ill deff peep that out now....but i realy dont like freeware =/, most liekly they are very simple limited and dont look intresting.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdupproductions View Post
Thanks dude. ill deff peep that out now....but i realy dont like freeware =/, most liekly they are very simple limited and dont look intresting.
Most of them are simple, as a lot of the guys are just trying to model one amp really well, like a Mesa Dual Recto, or some type of Bogner, and not going for a full "Heres 50 amps, have fun" type of deal.

But definitely give some of them a chance, theres somewhat of a learning curve on some of them, but you may be surprised at the sounds you can get from them.

LePou Plugins
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

What about this ?
WAVES GTR3 NATIVE - Belgium International Cyberstore

Seems intresting tough.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict
Really...I wouldn't bother with a "Cube" and a mic. You'll get way better sounds with the amp sim ITB with about 1/10th the effort.

As far as volume...You don't have to crank it up...But it does make a difference. Seriously though...You'll do fine with amp sims.

Get to playing for a year or so...And then revisit the idea of an amp.

If you do get an amp...Get something like one of the little mini heads or combos that are everywhere now. The Peavey Classic 30 is a great amp. Prince (or rather the Artist formerly known as) used to have one that he used at Paisley Park alot.

But please...Try the amp sims out first. You'll get an idea for the kinds of tones that your after. Think of it like a wine sampler. You'll get a feel for all these different sounds, find the ones you like, and then go play the real thing and see what you think.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

The first thing you need to look at is a different DAW. The problem is that you can't record audio (bass, guitar, vocals) in Reason 4, only the virtual instruments provided. Reason 5 added audio recording but I'm not sure about plug in compatibility.

If you get something like Pro Tools you can still use Reason as a plug in within the program and have the benefit of a full featured recording application as well.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by effitall View Post
Really...I wouldn't bother with a "Cube" and a mic. You'll get way better sounds with the amp sim ITB with about 1/10th the effort.

As far as volume...You don't have to crank it up...But it does make a difference. Seriously though...You'll do fine with amp sims.

Get to playing for a year or so...And then revisit the idea of an amp.

If you do get an amp...Get something like one of the little mini heads or combos that are everywhere now. The Peavey Classic 30 is a great amp. Prince (or rather the Artist formerly known as) used to have one that he used at Paisley Park alot.

But please...Try the amp sims out first. You'll get an idea for the kinds of tones that your after. Think of it like a wine sampler. You'll get a feel for all these different sounds, find the ones you like, and then go play the real thing and see what you think.
Man i like prince he's stuff thumbsup. aight i'll stick to the sims....tough does that waves GTR3 native kit is worth it ?, ive seen topics on the site from people being pretty pleased with it and yeah it has a DI box made for that software so and to be honest then i have 1 (legit) amp sim :X
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbro View Post
The first thing you need to look at is a different DAW. The problem is that you can't record audio (bass, guitar, vocals) in Reason 4, only the virtual instruments provided. Reason 5 added audio recording but I'm not sure about plug in compatibility.

If you get something like Pro Tools you can still use Reason as a plug in within the program and have the benefit of a full featured recording application as well.
I has a cubase copy from the tascam us122L should work fine tough ?.
ill peep pro tools also. sh***t im gone be bit more serious in 2011.

btw thank y'all for the info, now im sure to stick with amp sims for now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search