The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gear Clones Worth Taking a LOOk AT.....
Old 31st December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
gsilbers's Avatar
 

Gear Clones Worth Taking a LOOk AT.....

plenty out there but recently ive been reading GOOD comments about some which didn't happen in this forum a few years ago... (that i remember that its not high end clones like wunders' mics etc)

so ill start with a few ive read (but dont have :( ) id be cool to read also folks who have clones and real version... ) Maybe shoot out links etc..


Agile Guitars.... gibson/fender clones

MXL 2003a.... u87 clone..

Ladyada's x0xb0x 303 clone


so which clones do you believe its doing a good job, at being equal to what its cloning or just a good product in its own right. ?
Old 31st December 2010
  #2


The Astatic CTM-1500VP is a fantastic clone of a CAD M179. I'd substitute one in a heartbeat.



-tINY

Old 31st December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

The Astatic CTM-1500VP is a fantastic clone of a CAD M179. I'd substitute one in a heartbeat.
Considering the fact that Astatic and CAD are the same company (I'm not sure about the exact history here so indulge me if my facts are way off) I don't think that this can truly be considered a clone.
Old 31st December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Jerrick's Avatar
 

The super cheap Agile guitars could be called a clone, but I never considered those to be what Agile was all about. The majority of people that I know, when we think of Agile, we think of their higher-end 6, 7, 8, and 9 string models, and as far as I know, Gibson and Fender dont really offer anything to the extended range djenters out there. And I know those Agile guitars are actually really good guitars. Im tempted to pick one up someday.
Old 31st December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
gsilbers's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrick View Post
The super cheap Agile guitars could be called a clone, but I never considered those to be what Agile was all about. The majority of people that I know, when we think of Agile, we think of their higher-end 6, 7, 8, and 9 string models, and as far as I know, Gibson and Fender dont really offer anything to the extended range djenters out there. And I know those Agile guitars are actually really good guitars. Im tempted to pick one up someday.
definitely .

i should of specified the al3000 like ones.
Old 31st December 2010
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
Considering the fact that Astatic and CAD are the same company (I'm not sure about the exact history here so indulge me if my facts are way off) I don't think that this can truly be considered a clone.
I'd consider it an 'alternative' - it can be counted here in my opinion. It's a similar deal with Gibson/Epiphone and Fender/Squire with guitars heh
Old 31st December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
GZsound's Avatar
The GLS ES57 and ES58 are actually better sounding clones of the Shure 57/58 mics.
Old 31st December 2010
  #8
Classic API's vp26 with sl-red dot

not too sure if it sounds like a vintage API but it's one killer preamp
Old 31st December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZsound View Post
The GLS ES57 and ES58 are actually better sounding clones of the Shure 57/58 mics.
+1. I love them (and they're colored xlr cables, too).
Old 1st January 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 

the gls es 57 and 58s are great. O think they sound better than the shures but they don't sound similar to my ears. They might be clones look wise but they sound different and better which is good
Old 1st January 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
gsilbers's Avatar
 

Heres more:

Advance audio microphones

all their line-up seems to have positive posts plus the tape op magazine review.



and a personal one: iKey-audio active studio sub woofer. seems lits a clone or even from the same chinese factory (or next to it that copied and added some chances)
as the KRK and or maudio subwoofer's.
whatever its imitating its been good so far and does its job. heh
Old 3rd January 2011
  #12
bee
Lives for gear
 
bee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post


The Astatic CTM-1500VP is a fantastic clone of a CAD M179. I'd substitute one in a heartbeat.



-tINY

I haven't heard of the Astatic CTM-1500VP until now....what's the digfference between the two?
Old 3rd January 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
enroper's Avatar
 

These GLS mic posts coming out of nowhere lately make me think some sort of clever astroturfing campaign is going on. I'm highly skeptical.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
These GLS mic posts coming out of nowhere lately make me think some sort of clever astroturfing campaign is going on. I'm highly skeptical.
People (including myself) have posted about these for years. I've used the 57's and XLR cables with great results for quite some time. Every so often, someone makes a negative comment about them and happy users come to their defense. I remember a long thread a couple years ago that was filled with positive comments about them and their products in response to some griping. They're good people to deal with and the sell a quality product.

If you're listening, GLS, I'll take some free product for my endorsement! None yet, unfortunately. But the price makes it easy to buy.
Old 3rd January 2011
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I haven't heard of the Astatic CTM-1500VP until now....what's the digfference between the two?


The CTM-1500 has a black finish and says "Astatic" on it. Got 3 of them for $299 - no case included....



-tINY

Old 3rd January 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post


The CTM-1500 has a black finish and says "Astatic" on it. Got 3 of them for $299 - no case included....



-tINY

Where?! Is it the same mic? (I would suspect it is)
Old 3rd January 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 
idylldon's Avatar
 

I've got two of the Astatic CTM-1000A SDC cardioid condenser and I have to say they don't sound bad at all.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 3rd January 2011
  #18
bee
Lives for gear
 
bee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post


The CTM-1500 has a black finish and says "Astatic" on it. Got 3 of them for $299 - no case included....



-tINY

Cool, do they come with a shockmount and where did you get them? Feel free to shoot me a PM.
Old 4th January 2011
  #19

Zen Pro had them a while back - I think they are out.

Though they have a good price on M179 from CAD - especiall if you buy 3 at a time.




-tINY

Old 4th January 2011
  #20
bee
Lives for gear
 
bee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Zen Pro had them a while back - I think they are out.

Though they have a good price on M179 from CAD - especiall if you buy 3 at a time.




-tINY

That's a bummer. I have two of the M179s already, they are the ugliest mic in my locker. I'd like to get the black Astatics.
Old 4th January 2011
  #21
The m179's are going for $129 as we speak!
CAD M179 Dual Diaphragm Condenser Microphone at zZounds

Just google it!

Umm, but back to the topic at hand! Great clones!

Behringer B2031P's are really great speakers and look a lot like the Genelics... don't know how they sound in comparison, but the Behringer's are totally nice and very cool thumbsup

Peace
min
Old 4th January 2011
  #22


Black looks better - but that's not a proper "clone at that point. You could take the mics apart and get a rattle can of blackness....




-tINY

Attached Thumbnails
Gear Clones Worth Taking a LOOk AT.....-blumlein.jpg  
Old 4th January 2011
  #23
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

CAD blew out all of the black Astatic versions they had to me, and I did a quick 3 pack sale. It was months ago, the mic is discontinued. The M179 is functionally identical, just has that champagne finish.

War
Old 4th January 2011
  #24
bee
Lives for gear
 
bee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
CAD blew out all of the black Astatic versions they had to me, and I did a quick 3 pack sale. It was months ago, the mic is discontinued. The M179 is functionally identical, just has that champagne finish.

War
I guess that means it's time to save up for some Josephson e22s for tom duty.heh
Old 14th January 2011
  #25
Gear Nut
 

Can anyone tell me some applications in which they're getting good results with the CAD M179's? It's one of the first mics I bought for my locker many years ago and I dread the sessions where I run out of other mics and have to use it.

I used to use it on vocals and as a room mic , but now that I've got a much bigger and nicer selection, I never want to go back to it. Why does it get love here? Am I missing something? Is there some secret magical application that it shines on, or do folks just like it because of what it is for the price point it is at?
Old 14th January 2011
  #26
Gear Addict
 
capnreverb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevega View Post
Can anyone tell me some applications in which they're getting good results with the CAD M179's? It's one of the first mics I bought for my locker many years ago and I dread the sessions where I run out of other mics and have to use it.

I used to use it on vocals and as a room mic , but now that I've got a much bigger and nicer selection, I never want to go back to it. Why does it get love here? Am I missing something? Is there some secret magical application that it shines on, or do folks just like it because of what it is for the price point it is at?
I have a friend that I record playing cello quite a bit and she prefers it over any other mic I have and I have a lot "nicer" ones than that. It sounds good on some overly bright sources such as my alto sax where other cheap condensors accentuate my alto playing shortcommings.

I loaned mine to a friend once and he ended up buying three of them for toms and loves them. If i was not so in love with the AT3525's on my toms, thats what i would probably use for that price point (I'm a fan on using the same kind of mic on each drum, except the overheads).
Old 14th January 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
definitely .

i should of specified the al3000 like ones.
I love my Agile AL3100. My brother has an AL2000. Both are unbelievably well made, great sounding guitars. Not just "for the money," either.

My 3100 is triple bound on both front, back, neck, and headstock. It has an ebony fretboard. It has Grover tuners. It has pearl inlay on the fretboard. Essentially, it's a Les Paul Custom. And it was $399 measly dollars. There is no QUESTION that they surpass the Epiphones, and I'd contend they equal the Gibsons in everything but finish.


Oh, and by the way- the service at rondomusic.com, who is the only supplier of Agiles in the US, is out of this world fantastic. My brothers AL2000 developed a small chip in the finish six months after he bought it- six months!- and Kurt replaced the guitar free of charge. And let him pick a different color. I once had a bridge saddle get loose- they overnighted me a new one, again, free of charge. I've never seen anything like it.
Old 15th January 2011
  #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevega View Post
Can anyone tell me some applications in which they're getting good results with the CAD M179's? It's one of the first mics I bought for my locker many years ago and I dread the sessions where I run out of other mics and have to use it.

I used to use it on vocals and as a room mic , but now that I've got a much bigger and nicer selection, I never want to go back to it. Why does it get love here? Am I missing something? Is there some secret magical application that it shines on, or do folks just like it because of what it is for the price point it is at?


I liked it a lot (2 in blumlien pair) for a small vocal group. Sounds great on toms. Personally, it liked it best on bass amps and sometimes on kick drum too....

It's been best on solo vocal from time to time as well.

YMMV...




-tINY

Old 15th January 2011
  #29
Gear Nut
 

thanks for the thoughts. you know, i don't think i've tried it on toms yet, but it's definitely going on the floor tom in the next session. wonder how it will compare to a 421?
Old 15th January 2011
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevega View Post
Can anyone tell me some applications in which they're getting good results with the CAD M179's? It's one of the first mics I bought for my locker many years ago and I dread the sessions where I run out of other mics and have to use it.

I used to use it on vocals and as a room mic , but now that I've got a much bigger and nicer selection, I never want to go back to it. Why does it get love here? Am I missing something? Is there some secret magical application that it shines on, or do folks just like it because of what it is for the price point it is at?
Want to get rid of it? I'd like another one (or three).
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
straightkiller / Geekslutz forum
2
Lifted / So much gear, so little time
9
anguswoodhead / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
gutsofgold / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
6

Forum Jump
Forum Jump