The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Firestudio Project Problem, No Output Audio Interfaces
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Firestudio Project Problem, No Output

I have a Firestudio Project and the computer will not pick it up (found new hard ware) through the #1 firewire port on the back. only the number 2 port. So i download all drivers and completly install the unit, map evreything correct, and it works totally fine to record, all 8 preamps work fine, but I get no signal out of the firestudio, not the main outs, genral purpose or headphones. I know to map the output to the firestudio project DAW1 and DAW2 cuz it mirrors the main out and headphones. All the VU meters show activity, its mapped right, it records fine, but get no playback at all. Please Help. (remember this is all with the firestudio projects #2 firewire port, #1 Wont work.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hmmmm, that's a headscratcher. I have that interface myself, but I've never had that problem. Gimme a little while to TRY and figure it out, I'll try and get back to you tomorrow heh
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

What did Presonus have to say about it?
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

I have a FSP and found the Universal Control Mixer will not operate properly if the host software does not support the outputs it wants to see. When I tried it with Cubase LE which does not have 8 outputs, it gave me the mic inputs and Cubase stereo out summed together. I could record but cue mix was impossible. Not sure if this helps, but I wondered if it was your software.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

Ya im running cubase 5, but i cant get it to work with reason 4 either, Also i know that the out puts i mapped in cubase (DAW1 and DAW2) are mirrored to the Main Out, and Headphones, so those are the ports I designated as one stereo bus out. Also I heard that cubase has a problem with Mono ins and the firestudio, but the way i got it to work, which other people said worked for them, is to assign 4 stereo input busses (left being 1 and right beign 2, or L is 3 and R is 4) Also if it is cubase, which wont work for the output, any recs on software that will work. Also like I said i dont get any desktop sound or reason 4 sound... but I know reason is a little different with the drivers, so any suggestion

Also universal control mixer shows playback response in VU meters on DAW1 DAW2(which are the out put busses assigned as one stereo bus) and the master to the right as well as the 5 combo channels to the right.

And dadanman let me know if you figure something out please. thanks

Last edited by StrummerRecords; 31st December 2010 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

oh also I got the unit from a friend who was original owner and had it daisy chained with another unit. I dont know if that makes a difference or if thats the reason the computer only picks it up on the #2 FireWire port, #1 has no activity... is there any way to reset the Unit to new outta the box settings, maybe its internal flash memory has some daisy chain set up saved or something.... just a guess.
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

I recall when I first set up, I called Presonus on the phone and was told to update the latest drivers. I also found a youtube video which described a startup procedure which I found helpful.
1. Boot computer 2. power up the FSP and wait for blue icon in tray 3. Open host software. If not done in this order it can't find the needed ins and outs. I also had problems with the firewire connections on both the computer and FSP. I found the FSP connector on the right worked for me. My computer input 1 worked for a while then I had to use an alternate. Also the computer should be booted before plugging in the Firewire first time so the computer will find it. I have heard of people using Reaper with the FSP and I'm installing it this weekend. I find the Universal Controller to be a thing of mystery. No matter what I do it won't respond. I'm hoping Reaper clears it up for me. There is an online manual for the Universal Controller.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

THanks twiggy, but i did all that, and the universal control works fine for me, except the output, i get full response from the vu meters on daw1 and daw2 (assigned as my output buss) and the master meter, as well as all the meters in cubase show playback. I just dont get any sound... I tried downloading an older driver, i found V3.0.1something...

ALSO I was wondering does anyone know if that is the original driver for this unit? or is there an older one? im trying to install the old drivers and firmware to hopefully reset the unit back to factory settings, so who ever i bought it off of ddaisy chain settings and all that will be wiped of the internal flash memory
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

Hi,

You may have tried this already but its the only thing I can think of at the moment.

Have you got the outputs setup right in the Presonus mixer software? I know I had this issue before.

I was setting up a different routing on the hardware for a specific project and saved all the settings. The next time I went to use my computer I had no audio coming out the main 1-2 channel outputs. After much head scratching I remembered that I had changed the software mixer config.

Once I opened the presonus mixer I realised that I had told the hardware to ouptut though channels 3-4.

Sounds like it might be worth a shot. Like you I had the meters saying there was an ouput but no audio was heard until I changed the mixer back to default and thus sending the main outs back to channels 1-2.

Sounds silly but you might have changed something since you last used and forgot maybe !?!?

Toby

Last edited by tobywan; 1st January 2011 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: incorrect text
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobywan View Post
Hi,

You may have tried this already but its the only thing I can think of at the moment.

Have you got the outputs setup right in the Presonus mixer software? I know I had this issue before.

I was setting up a different routing on the hardware for a specific project and saved all the settings. The next time I went to use my computer I had no audio coming out the main 1-2 channel outputs. After much head scratching I remembered that I had changed the software mixer config.

Once I opened the presonus mixer I realised that I had told the hardware to ouptut though channels 3-4.

Sounds like it might be worth a shot. Like you I had the meters saying there was an ouput but no audio was heard until I changed the mixer back to default and thus sending the main outs back to channels 1-2.

Sounds silly but you might have changed something since you last used and forgot maybe !?!?

Toby
+1 to what Toby said.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Head

thanks, but the out puts are set to DAW1 and Daw2 in cubase, and in the universal control mixer, the out put vu on daw 1 and daw 2 shows activity, so if there is something else i have to do, please let me know
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

man, how i hate universal control.
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrummerRecords View Post
thanks, but the out puts are set to DAW1 and Daw2 in cubase, and in the universal control mixer, the out put vu on daw 1 and daw 2 shows activity, so if there is something else i have to do, please let me know

Try this- on the bottom tabs of the mixer view, rename some of the mixes (right click on the tab and type something). Change a few settings while you're at it. Then close universal control, and re-open... are your namings and settings still there? If not, it's the same problem I have, which is that the computer won't fully communicate with the firestudio. I can play back audio and the meters light up, everything looks okay, but it just won't output any audio, and it forgets everything I do.

You'll also have the problem that, on the main universal control panel, the latency, sync, etc settings won't be remembered or won't show up, and if you have an MSR, that won't work at all.

What fixes it for me is just power cycling the firestudio. I may have to do it a few times, close universal control, dick around for a bit, but at some point it will start working. At that point, it will show the mixes I created and named as well. Presonus' drivers are total garbage, every PC I have used them with has SOME issue with them, nothing ever works 100%.
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Head

thanks but i just got on the phone with presonus and for a flat rate of 85 buks they fully repair the thing and ship it back, with a turn around time of 2 to 3 weeeks from the day u ship it, they replaed the main board in mine and im stoked... they have really great ustomer servie on warranty and outta waranty items. im buying only presonus from now on
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search