The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I need a G.A.S. intervention! Audio Interfaces
Old 30th December 2010
I need a G.A.S. intervention!

Hey fellow slutz. Most of you low enders have seen me 'round these parts, and I appreciate you all.

Basically, this is a thread where we can all just ask the stupid "what gear do I need next" questions...but with a twist: the answer should be focused on using what you already have!

Most of us who have spent any time in this forum know that about 432 threads per day get created about "HELP PLZ! MY MXL 990 DUZNT SOUN PRO."
So instead of instead of telling them to buy x, y and z...let's have them post samples, and then lets figure out some EQ settings, or different mic placements that will get it to sound passable.

Or, if someone has a severe case of G.A.S., let's be a good neighbor and help them come back down to earth and make good music with what they have.

There's enough Karma to go 'round for all.

Let's reclaim the low end forum as a cool place to hang out.

I'll start:

I had settled on a decision for a new interface, but lo, I began reading gearslutz, and now I'm second guessing my decision against my better judgement.

I have an Apogee Duet and an Echo Audiofire 8. I'm a Logic user, and I LOVE the Duet. Specifically, I love the sound quality, stability, preamps and integration with Apple and Logic. I DON'T love the lack of MIDI and I/O.
I bought the Echo as an expansion unit to use an aggregate device. It worked perfectly for me.

Recently, I've switched over to using only Echo because I've got an external compressor and electronic drums that I use to trigger MIDI. I really love the Echo too. I don't hear any noticeable difference in sound or conversion. What I DON'T love about the echo is the lack of a physical volume control, the slightly confusing routing on it's software mixer and the latency issues I seem to be having with using my compressor.

I had decided originally on waiting, saving up and getting an Apogee Ensemble and doing it right. Then, I could be done with all this interface nonsense and have a totally integrated Logic experience with all the I/O that I need.
However, as I said, I've been reading gearslutz, and now I'm like "what about an Echo 8pre to pair with my 8? What about RME FF800? What about TC Konnect 48? They're all cheaper??? CONVERSION????? AHHHHHH!!!"

I'm sick of it.

I've made music that sounds great to me with both the Duet and the Echo.

I'm gonna do an A/B test between my Duet and the Echo today to see if I even notice a difference in conversion. If not, the question is, is it worth the extra $1K between an Echo 8pre and Ensemble to have the seemless Logic integration I'm looking for?

So, can someone just slap me?

Oh yeah, and I've got Genelec 8030A monitors with some bass traps in the room. I haven't done any reflection point treatment though.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'd love to slap you, if it will help. heh

Not sure about your routing issues, but a simple passive monitor controller should be of use with regard to the lack of volume knob.

As for the intent of the thread, I'm a little on the fence as to how useful it could possibly be. Let's see what manner of banter will develop...
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
I'd love to slap you, if it will help. heh

Not sure about your routing issues, but a simple passive monitor controller should be of use with regard to the lack of volume knob.

As for the intent of the thread, I'm a little on the fence as to how useful it could possibly be. Let's see what manner of banter will develop...
Well, funny you should mention that. I actually just recently purchased a TC Electronic Level Pilot, thinking that that would solve that issue.

Generally speaking, I like my hearing, and so I choose to monitor at low volumes. Well, the level pilot is a potentiometer and so at low volumes, there is a zone of the control that only sends signal to the left side of the stereo field. Then as you bring the level up, you finally get full volume from both sides. I tried working around it...but I finally sent it back a few days ago. There has to be a better solution.

I'm open to suggestions.
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw the Moral View Post
Well, funny you should mention that. I actually just recently purchased a TC Electronic Level Pilot, thinking that that would solve that issue.

Generally speaking, I like my hearing, and so I choose to monitor at low volumes. Well, the level pilot is a potentiometer and so at low volumes, there is a zone of the control that only sends signal to the left side of the stereo field. Then as you bring the level up, you finally get full volume from both sides. I tried working around it...but I finally sent it back a few days ago. There has to be a better solution.

I'm open to suggestions.
Hey, I was plagued with this problem and it was driving me crazy. I found the answer here in the forums, although I had to search a lot to find it. Here's the thread I made to celebrate that:

GS Search Success!

In a nutshell, the answer is:

(If your monitors have it) turn the monitors themselves down, using the "input sensitivity" knob! if you turn them down to a much lower volume it will force the volume attenuator to track higher in it's range, which is where it is more accurate. It worked for me and basically it just means you can't crank the monitors as loud as before, but its still WAY loud enough for me (can still go too loud even).
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

intervention

maybe the thread should be named : how to get rid of it.
dunno if it will work but here's what i will be trying for the next months:
INTERVENTION :

1- unhook maxed out c2d macbook + logic 9 from current setup
2- open closet
3- put macbook in closet
4-get old dual 400mhz powermac g4 out of the closet
5-take airport card out of powermac (no gearslutz)
6- connect g4 to duet and fw drives.
7- install reaper and forget about all those friggin soft synths i spend hours tweaking
8- be thankful for the gear i own and use it as best as i can
9-concentrate on the music.

well see how this goes !
happy new year guys !
pc
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

hahaha! this is awesome! i go through this every day. i'll carefully and thoughtfully find a new piece of gear, lust over it for weeks, save the $, talk myself into buying it, re-evaluate my decision, change my mind, decide that what i have works, change back, decide i need it, decide i need the better one, decide i can't afford the better one, decide i don't need it, and usually end up buying a cable, or shockmount, or some other small goodies, and it's usually good after some small consolation prize, etc.

so- always wait to buy cables, and little stuff, then when the GAS hits, get something that is actually useful, cheap, or cool, instead of blowing big$!!

and i always make myself fix something, build something, or find a free plugin or something before i buy anything. that will usually cool me off.

good luck y'all!!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Keep the echo, get an SM audio Nano to control volume. Its just a big knob and it's actually pretty cool because you can ride the volume when listening to stuff easily right next to your keyboard, rather than having to reach over to an interface.

I use the echo as just that, a converter. I have my own pre's and dont want something that gives me 8 channels of the same thing. I'd rather flavor it up.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
The banter will be around specific gear, of course.......what we have and why we have it.

In the spirit of the thread, however, I'll say this..........

.......while we all know that it should be all about the music, in this age of endless gear choices it is all too easy to lose that focus. We read so often of fellow slutz who are sitting in their well equiped studios gazing lovingly at their sparkling racks while their guitars languish as case queens.

I set my rig up right around the turn of the last century and, with the exception of a few judicious strategic upgrades I have been recording my songs ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw the Moral View Post
I began reading gearslutz, and now I'm second guessing my decision against my better judgement.
I love reading about gear. I love making music even more.

Buy some gear.......make some music. Get on with it.

Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

OMG.. you're me!

Been having almost identical issues with the same kind of set up... luckily a bargain (what us low enders do best) showed up and solved my problem.
Old 1st January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
The banter will be around specific gear, of course.......what we have and why we have it.

In the spirit of the thread, however, I'll say this..........

.......while we all know that it should be all about the music, in this age of endless gear choices it is all too easy to lose that focus. We read so often of fellow slutz who are sitting in their well equiped studios gazing lovingly at their sparkling racks while their guitars languish as case queens.

I set my rig up right around the turn of the last century and, with the exception of a few judicious strategic upgrades I have been recording my songs ever since.

I love reading about gear. I love making music even more.

Buy some gear.......make some music. Get on with it.

Totally agree.

And believe me, I'm making lots of music in the mean time. I also enjoy talking about gear...but this site always brings out the worst digression in me, and then I lose focus on what's important.

BTW, for anyone who's interested, I did a non-scientific shootout between the Duet and the Audiofire 8...and 2 out of 3 times, the Echo beat the Duet. The third test was the preamps and AD conversion, and they tied in sound quality to my ears. So, I've decided to go the Echo route.

The ensemble, I'm sure, is great....but for me, it's not the extra $1K great. I will get by nicely with two Audiofires.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search