The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors, cheaper than A7X Studio Monitors
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Monitors, cheaper than A7X

I'm looking for budget monitors for about 600€ for a pair. A7X's would be probably my choice number one, if I stretched my budget to 900€, but that's bit too much for me. They would be for my home studio, that is not really a studio, quite small size room with no treatment yet. About 4,5 m x 3,5 m to be exact, mostly hard walls and a window. Not the acoustical heaven, I can imagine, but hey, I don't know of better, ignorance is bliss.

I'm considering getting smaller monitors and buying a sub later on. I could also just get headphones for now, such as AKG 701, which will be useful even after I get speakers eventually. Treatment will be done at some point in future, as a DIY project, might be moving before that.

Music is beloved hobby for me, but I'm no professional or audiophile. I like as good detail as my budget can offer. I would use the monitors a lot when playing digital piano as well. What would be ideal path to take, given the circumstances?

I'm quite interested in monitors such as Adam A5X, which are very little discussed in any forum, and Genelec 8020, which are quite small indeed. What does having a sub mean from mixing point of view? How it differs from having monitors with bigger woofers? What's the difference between A7X - and A5X with sub?

Thank you.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
I'd go with the "old" A7, or small Geithain or Proac if you want passive
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

A/B a7, a7x, a5x. like i said on another thread, bass is bigger on 7x, about 7-12 HZ lower, but the difference is not THAT big. i had my resons to go a5x. maybe i'm subjective, but i recommend them. Also u should try yamaha msp5/7 and fostex pm05. some like krk rokit. not for me.
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

Hmm, thank you. A5X is interesting, but I have hard time picturing in my mind how bass will sound in a 6" woofer. I should go check them out somwhere, but I don't know any place even remotely near, that would have a decent range of monitors available for testing.

I think the model isn't so important yet, I need to think wether I go with 4-6" monitor and buy a sub later or 7-8" without a sub. There's Focal CMS40 and Genelec 8020b with, which are quality according to many, but I have no idea how low 4" can go. Both are 600€ for pair, A5X has bigger woofer and costs same for a pair, but I guess that small difference in size doesn't necessarily mean better bass response.

HS80M are 450€ for pair and they are pretty much only monitors I can consider at 8" woofer size, but then people say that the bass isn't much for that size woofer.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Monitors, cheaper than A7X

A7's for sure.

Iv used the hsm's

Can't compare.
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Head

I own A5X/cms50. so i'm biased, i guess. i recomend them anyway. for very low end buy good cans. for start.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

A7's definitely, but not sure that they are that much cheaper than the A7x's. Otherwise, the A5X's are good.

Other out of the box possibilities include M-Audio DSM2's which despite having a brand which doesn't hold much weight in monitoring circles, gained some favorable reviews and there is also, the Yamaha HS80m's. KRK Rokit's also appear to be very popular budget monitors

Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Heh i just got some CX5s after reading some great reviews about them.

Still putting them through their paces but they sound great. Bass response for their size is amazing. I've been using a pair of 8" monitors and i don't feel like i'm missing much! I think i'll ad a sub at some point though.

I keep reading that they compare to the A7s but i've never heard a pair so i can't comment.

That aside they're small enough to use pretty much anywhere and in most spaces with the contour eqs. I got mine for half price so i'm probably a little bit biased but i think they are dropping in a few places.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search