The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are there any modern substitutes for the NS-10's? Studio Monitors
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Are there any modern substitutes for the NS-10's?

I have used NS-10's in a studio and I get the idea i.e. they are fairly unspectacular and any mix you do on them will translate well to other setups but looking at the prices on ebay etc it seems like madness to pay those prices for old equipment that was meant at the time for fairly base level usage. Surely there must be a modern equivalent which costs less? Does anyone have any experience of cheap speakers that can help your mixes translate well?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Could be wrong but i thought the HS-50/HS-80 were the modern equivalents of the NS10.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

I know they're certainly marketed/presented that way but in terms of performance do they follow through?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Are there any modern substitutes for the NS-10's?

I hear they arent.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've not used them but most people say that they are honest and mixes translate well.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Is there anything non-yamaha out there that won't break the bank that people believe translate well?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

Other than the similar appearance, the HS80m/50m are nothing like NS10's. The 50's can work in a similar way, giving you a good balance tool by focusing on the midrange. The 80's have more low end, and I quite like them, but would never ever compare them to an NS10.

If you're looking for a second set of monitors to act as your "NS10-ish" translation tool, I would take a look at any inexpensive consumer listening speaker or boombox. Get used to what some of your favorite mixes sound like on that system, and try to get similar results with your own mixes.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

There's no magic in NS-10's, they're simply ubiquitous. NS-10's "work" for those that are familiar with them because they are familiar with them.

So, pick out a small two way cheap speaker that you feel you can live with, and start calibrating your ears and brain. Listen to a lot of program on them, mix a lot on them, and audition those mixes in a lot of other environments. Once you calibrate to them, you can then use your speakers in the same way that other people use their NS-10's.

Go. Mix. Listen.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrasonic View Post
There's no magic in NS-10's, they're simply ubiquitous. NS-10's "work" for those that are familiar with them because they are familiar with them.

So, pick out a small two way cheap speaker that you feel you can live with, and start calibrating your ears and brain. Listen to a lot of program on them, mix a lot on them, and audition those mixes in a lot of other environments. Once you calibrate to them, you can then use your speakers in the same way that other people use their NS-10's.

Go. Mix. Listen.
Couldn't have said it better.

I chose a pair of Energy C-100 speakers to try this with. I got them on sale for $75/pair. Of course they aren't powered so I use a Marantz amp.

I listened to music on them over the course of a year, did some mixes, checked out how they translated and adjusted accordingly.

As soon as you figure out how to listen "through" a speaker instead of "to" the speaker, you can use nearly anything.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I just bought a pair of used HS80M primarily because they have a lot more low end than my tannoy System 6`s.

I plan to carry on mixing on the 6`s but have to say I am enjoying playing bass guitar and e-drums through the HS80s.

My ass is definitely feeling more kicked than previously.

As to how they compare to NS10s I have always found NS10s to sound like cheap nasty hifi speakers & could never stand to mix on them.
In that (as I have them set up so far) the HS80s sound extremely colored, I would have to say they are similarly lacking as monitors in a different way to the NS10s.

Man gsave you the word earlier. Pick your boxes then spend a lot of time getting to know them.
Been with the Tannoys for 12 years & was already used to the family sound long before that - 30 or 40 years experience of listening to tannoys.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I recently purchased the HS-50m's and have found them useful in the same ways as my old NS-10ms.

Like all new monitor purchases, it took slight getting used to, and really fiddling around with the frequency cuts and boosts to find something more similar to the NS-10s.

Setting the low cut to 80hz helped a ton, and cleared up the mid range differences between the NS-10 and the HS-50m. The mid and hi controls are going to be based on your room's acoustics.

I use headphones to check my low end, just as before.

But to each their own.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds like the HS-50 would be a good choice then if you can create an approximation of the NS-10s sound. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search