The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Musical New Year's resolutions Condenser Microphones
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Musical New Year's resolutions

Given that we have reached that joyous time of year where we look back and realise that we have not progressed at all I thought it might be interesting to know if anybody had any musical new years resolutions. Mine are as follows:

- To not buy anything software or hardware for at least 6 months and learn how to maximize the use of everything that I already own!

- To create better mixes using a hybrid hard/soft approach

What are yours?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

good thread.

** to FOLLOW THROUGH more often...i can't tell you how many half-done songs i have. when the initial creative explosion ends, i need to keep going, everyday.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Good shout - on a similar note when I have something nearly finished and theres a couple of things nagging me that just need little changes I need to go back and make those changes rather than just going with it so I can get another tune out there.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah, to really understand everything I already own is a great resolution!
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

2011 shall be my Music, not Gear year.

heh
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derj View Post
- To create better mixes using a hybrid hard/soft approach

hard and soft approach??? :confused:
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB1984 View Post
good thread.

** to FOLLOW THROUGH more often...i can't tell you how many half-done songs i have. when the initial creative explosion ends, i need to keep going, everyday.
This is directly tied to mine.

1) When I'm writing, I get a maximum of two days to track, two days to mix, and one day to master...and then I GET IT OUT THERE. No more of this months and months trying to "decide where to go." I never do.
I'm gonna write, record, polish and finish...and then start writing again.

2) Say it with me everyone: "I CAN MAKE GOOD MUSIC WITH THE GEAR THAT I HAVE!"

3) I'm gonna finish my Master's Certificate from Berklee.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LirvA View Post
hard and soft approach??? :confused:
Sorry I meant using a mxiture of hardware compressors and plugin EQ's basically
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Oh I see ... I think. Software plug in EQs? Hardware and software?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw the Moral View Post

1) When I'm writing, I get a maximum of two days to track, two days to mix, and one day to master...and then I GET IT OUT THERE. No more of this months and months trying to "decide where to go." I never do.

Thats a great shout to constrain yourself time wise - I definitely find that if I know I dont have much time I am much better and getting ideas down quickly and well than if I think I can muck about all day.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

I've recently hit a sort of brick-wall creatively, so I think this year (or at least for the first half of it) I'm going to concentrate on mixing, producing and making money for more gear.

I started my studio in July of this year with very little gear and have graduated to a pretty decent setup and have some great projects under my belt. In the coming year, I want to:

*Triple my studio income (sounds lofty, but I started halfway through the year and worked for almost-free until November, just to get my name out there a bit)
*Purchase an M-Audio Profire 2626 and Behringer ADA8000 so I can finally fully utilize my Ramsa console by mixing OTB
*Read and study a couple highly recommended books on mixing, and practice to get better at what I do.
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Red face Love the Thread!

I just joined this site a couple days ago...it came recommended by my producer since I'm finally stepping into production myself. I spent the last two years doting over the creation of about 10 songs. Then, about 4 months ago I finally re-ignited the passion to put more control of an entire project in my hands and just ENJOY making music again. In the last 3 days of reading I've realized that I know about 1% of what most of you do about gear!.. software, hardware, interfaces yada yada.. But I do have my own rehearsal studio with a good enough set up to make some amazing music.

SO, my RESOLUTION for '11 is to LEARN, LEARN and LEARN some more about production, post production and mixing, as well as progressing as a musician as well!!! Much love to all that spend their time here to share knowledge, and thanks for my inclusion in the community!! thumbsup

-Cassius
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Learn more music theory. I'm pretty crap at working out harmonies, I'd love to be able to do it more quickly. I got a book about it and everything.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw the Moral View Post

I like these, and will be stealing them....except #3. I got the book 'mixing audio' and will be studying that cover to cover

I also resolve to record & mix _something_ once a week. Even if it's just a 1 minute long riff or song concept. Just to keep my ears fresh and keep evolving a 'style'. at the very minimum that will leave me with 52 recorded 'things' a year. Not necessarily full songs but whatever.

also with the exception of some better cables, a second pre-73, and the echoboy plugin, ( and usual bull**** like strings and picks ) I dont want to buy anything else this year over $100.

And finally, I will make my own cables! i just ordered my first soldering iron. yay.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

My Musical Resolution

• Learn my new Sonar software inside and out.
  • Use that software to make my album!
  • Put that Album on Itunes for all to see/buy!
Old 1st January 2011

have my studio hooked up in a way where it's always ready to go
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

The honest to god truth is I know so much about music it's not even funny. So if I had to make one musical resolution. It would be to smoke one or two bags of pot this year with out becoming a pot head again. I just don't know where to find the stuff anymoreheh
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

Resolution

Awesome postings. Let's see..
I really want to finish this cd i've been working on.
Obtain more clients, you know what they say, "If you do something you love you will never work a day in your life".
Upgrade my convertors from a presonus to an apogee
Buy an Emperial labs fatso
Finish paying off my 1176 (layway and to buy a couple of those GAP pre 73's i've been hearing so much about. I don't have anything "nevish" yet
On a side note I think that my main goal will be non-musically related
That is to start running again. Sitting in this chair for last couple of years has caused me to put on a few extra pounds
Oh yeah , and maybe an AKG C-414 to compliment my pearlman tm 1
Old 1st January 2011
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Influenced by a recent vocal coaching meeting. He's someone with a terrific
singing voice AND as a past instrumentalist of some legendary Big Bands.
Such as Harry James, Jimmy Dorsey, and Gordon Jenkins!
(he cut sessions w/Sinatra, Cole, Torme, Peggy Lee)

Anyway...

1) Daily vocal exercises, core ones classical.
2) For "Standard"heh song practice, walk first (ballads), then run (uptempo).
3) Transfer increased skill level into the genres of Soul, Country, and
Country/Rock.

Chris
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vientos00 View Post
Finish paying off my 1176 (layway and to buy a couple of those GAP pre 73's i've been hearing so much about. I don't have anything "nevish" yet
1073 into a 1176 is the sound behind so many classic albums. Even with a gap you should be in tonal heaven. *jealous*
Old 2nd January 2011

to tell 1,000 people on this forum to use their ears

to take my own advice
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Great thread!

I pledge that i will not add to my mic collection no matter how good of a deal it is!!!..
And i love that some guys are saying they vow not to get any more gear... most of us have much more powerful recording systems than ANYONE had 25 years ago.

It's the year to WRITE SONGS, people! Make more music!

Someone's got to be the next Nirvana. Amen.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Head

Musical New Year's resolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper

I like these, and will be stealing them....except #3. I got the book 'mixing audio' and will be studying that cover to cover

I also resolve to record & mix _something_ once a week. Even if it's just a 1 minute long riff or song concept. Just to keep my ears fresh and keep evolving a 'style'. at the very minimum that will leave me with 52 recorded 'things' a year. Not necessarily full songs but whatever.

also with the exception of some better cables, a second pre-73, and the echoboy plugin, ( and usual bull**** like strings and picks ) I dont want to buy anything else this year over $100.

And finally, I will make my own cables! i just ordered my first soldering iron. yay.
I just bought that book last week. So much good info. I'm learning so much just from reading it. Plus being able to apply the concepts in my studio
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

My new years musical ressolutions:

Use my gear to its potential & to progress with the band that hired me to be their sound man.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Alright, here goes. I am going to hop on the I don't need more gear band wagon. I already have more than I need. OK. I said it.

I need to stop PROCRASTINATING! I am the worst in this department. Everyday I am going into the studio. No matter what. Might have to cancel my cable.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajdzin View Post
2011 shall be my Music, not Gear year.

heh
Amen to this!!

This year I resolve to make more music.. and do as much as I can...with what I already have heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search