The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheapest 8 in to adat out? Digital Converters
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Cheapest 8 in to adat out?

Doesn´t matter sound quality.
Slantalone
Mic input or line input with gain level control.

It´s just for recording trigger signal output (audio) from a drum, so no sound quality is required. The idea is to convert to midi inside the PC that recorded trigger audio signals.
Any suggestions.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Cheapest 8 in to adat out?

Behringer ADA8000
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Have thought about it. I´m looking in the classifieds. An old external soundcard also could do the job.
Old 30th December 2010
ALS
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoausente View Post
Have thought about it. I´m looking in the classifieds. An old external soundcard also could do the job.
the conversion on the begringer ada8000 is actually pretty good. the preamps on the other hand well not so good, but black lion audio does a mod pretty cheap on these that upgrades the pres.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
Yeh +1 on the behringer one, if you're triggering samples, then there's no reason why it shouldn't be all you need.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBouvrie View Post
Behringer ADA8000
+1!
Old 30th December 2010
Another vote for the ADA8000 over here, too.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
I could be wrong but I don't think triggers send Audio. They are for plugging into a drum module then you run the MIDI out of the module to your puter DAW if writing midi files is what you're after. ($40 midi to usb cable)

Something like the Alesis D5 module (200-300 used) has 12 trigger inputs.
Some triggers use tip sleeve cables and some use Tip ring sleeve cables.
Roland elect drum units will do the same.

Roland units use TRS cables Alesis uses TS cables. SO you want to make sure the triggers are compatible with the module or "brain" you patch them into.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think triggers send Audio. They are for plugging into a drum module then you run the MIDI out of the module to your puter DAW if writing midi files is what you're after. ($40 midi to usb cable)

Something like the Alesis D5 module (200-300 used) has 12 trigger inputs.
Some triggers use tip sleeve cables and some use Tip ring sleeve cables.
Roland elect drum units will do the same.

Roland units use TRS cables Alesis uses TS cables. SO you want to make sure the triggers are compatible with the module or "brain" you patch them into.

They send audio. Triggers are just tiny piezo mics. You can plug 'em in, add some gain to get to -18dbfs, and you're good to go.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks a lot, yes, seems the best choice.
I have been playing with a dsp tool that converts midi to audio in a Sonic Core soundcard but seems not to work very well.
I´m thinking now about getting a Megadrum module. Latest firmware allows to vary trigger-midi latency, but as lower value less precision on velocity level measurement.
I have just bought an Alesis Trigger IO that disappointed me, it has 8ms of delay since receives the trigger till the midi is sent. Most modules are around 4ms, and the best ones 2ms, like ddrum3 and seems Megadrum can too.

In the other hand, have the posibility of going for the ADA8000, but since the dsp audio-midi didn´t work ok, do you know any native monophonic audio-midi app that do the job to can trigger BFD?
Thanks for your replies.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Toontrack drumtracker will do the job for you.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Okay I see where your're coming from now.

I use Drumagog.............it does not need midi. Triggers samples from the transients of the Audio file, no midi conversion needed. instead of midi file editing i used flex time to align if things need a little bumping to tighten up.

and yes it looks like the ADA8000 is the cheapest for getting 8 channel in.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoausente View Post
Thanks a lot, yes, seems the best choice.
I have been playing with a dsp tool that converts midi to audio in a Sonic Core soundcard but seems not to work very well.
I´m thinking now about getting a Megadrum module. Latest firmware allows to vary trigger-midi latency, but as lower value less precision on velocity level measurement.
I have just bought an Alesis Trigger IO that disappointed me, it has 8ms of delay since receives the trigger till the midi is sent. Most modules are around 4ms, and the best ones 2ms, like ddrum3 and seems Megadrum can too.

In the other hand, have the posibility of going for the ADA8000, but since the dsp audio-midi didn´t work ok, do you know any native monophonic audio-midi app that do the job to can trigger BFD?
Thanks for your replies.
Drumagog
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBouvrie View Post
Behringer ADA8000
+1

Good Luck finding anything remotely close to it's conversion in it's pricerange. Add about $1k+ for anything better.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Sly thread jack sorry but .....

Would the Ada8000 be the cheapest unit overall for general extra ins & outs ?
I ran out of space on my Apogee Ensemble!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post

Plugging an ADA8000 into an Ensemble would be like putting a lawn mower engine in a Corvette.
Cheapest 8 channel unit thats decent with ADAT link ability is the Mackie Blackbird ($499) FW daisy chaining that some units can do is usually glitchy.

The OP is needing it basically just to get a wave file into a DAW (quality not required) so he can replace it with a samples.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post

Focusrite Octopre mkii also sounds pretty good...
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Plugging an ADA8000 into an Ensemble would be like putting a lawn mower engine in a Corvette.
Cheapest 8 channel unit thats decent with ADAT link ability is the Mackie Blackbird ($499) FW daisy chaining that some units can do is usually glitchy.

The OP is needing it basically just to get a wave file into a DAW (quality not required) so he can replace it with a samples.
you kind of contradicted yourself with the statement that plugging an ADA800 into an Ensemble would be like putting a lawn mower engine in a Corvette, but then say "quality not required". So if quality is not required (even though conversion on ADA is pretty decent) why suggest the Blackbird of which is more expensive if quality is of no concern?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

The things you hear here on GS. Mackie BB is a cool peice of gear that has alot of features in it. The Pres sound decent but the conversion is not on par with that of the ADA8000. If the OP needs an interface, which the ADA8000 is not, then the BB would suit him fine if sound quality doesn't matter.

If all the OP needs is a way to get 8 more channels out of his existing interface, the ADA8000 is the cheapest and better sounding unit. The pres do sux ass but with gain all the way down and using the unit at line level, you won't find a better unit, outside of quality control.........

"lawnmore engine in a corvette..." that must be one bad ass lawnmore!
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Yet another GS thread that reminds me of why I LOVE this place!

Olympic quality Conclusion Jumping and equipment anaysis by innuendo!

Wonderful stuff, guys!

Oh and PS I have both an ADA8000 AND a focusrite Octopre LE, which I guess means I am still not cool enough even for Low End.... *sigh*

P.P.S. I use the mic pres on both boxes and provided you a)dont wind them up too far and b) arent looking to win Grammies for your recordings they do more than OK for the $$$.

P.P.P.S. These days I am very suspicious of anything with mackie on the case - seems like you gotta kiss a lot of frogs these days.

heh

Last edited by ivansc; 5th January 2011 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: I`m a lippy old git
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Alesis IO/26
iO|26

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search