The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The lowest of low-end...kitchen utensils as rock drums... Studio Monitors
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

The lowest of low-end...kitchen utensils as rock drums...

Ok...got the itch to experiment a little. Wanted to do a different drum thing than the usual midi drums. I used my acoustic tuned down as far as I could get it, and strummed it like a drum for the low frequencies. Used a cookie tin inside a 14" metal mixing bowl for the snare, a cookie sheet for the ride, I used the same mixing bowl for the cowbell. I got my kid's a little drumset, and snagged the kick...tuned it way down, and held it on my lap so I could slap it with the felt mallet, and palm mute it.

I basically over/under mic'd the kit with a sm57 and an at4050. Each "instrument" was recorded one at a time

Here's a sample of a quick mix w/o the vox in it...a picture of all the stuff I ended up using from the kitchen, and how the amp was mic'd (since I took a pic)

EDIT: mix added 2/8/11http://www.ourstage.com/tracks/ZKQTR...d-of-light-mix

Edit: CURRENT revision 11-20-11http://soundcloud.com/ron-vogel/speed-of-light
Attached Thumbnails
The lowest of low-end...kitchen utensils as rock drums...-k-drums-001.jpg   The lowest of low-end...kitchen utensils as rock drums...-k-drums-003.jpg  
Attached Files

speed of light.wav (7.93 MB, 751 views)

Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

All I have to say is: DAMN COOL DUDE!!!!
Old 30th December 2010
You got me over here wanting to experiment. That was great.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Happy to hear it!

I plan on adding some tamb or sleigh bells in, and a buddy of mine is bringing over a thin piece of sheetmetal to use as a crash tomorrow.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Cool stuff. It's great to experiment, and you never know where it's going to lead to in the future.

When me and my mates were kids in the 80s we recorded a bedroom punk album using kitchen utensils as drums. Fortunately the drummer did a solo (of sorts) and I was able to edit the hits and save them for use in a sampler. I've since made very weird DnB with it.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Loving your work. I tried something similar using a metal mixing bowl for percussion on a acoustic song. Lost me a few brownie points with the wife though, I didn't think a pencil would mark a metal bowl
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Try a tin of hairspray for hats
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

My dishwasher makes very musical sounds when it's staring its rinsing cycle. Kind of like the shaker at the beginning of CCR's "Suzie Q". I must mic it up one day.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Gotta Love It

It's cool when somebody not only comes up with a solution to a problem, but has a cool song like this at the end. Great Job!

I would really like to hear the entire song whenever possible please...
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've recorded several songs using household items for percussion. I had a tin Trail's End popcorn can that I threw some pennies in and then placed a CD on top to keep them from rattling too much. Made a rather effective snare sound. But I still think a real snare sounds better.

There is one contraption that I came up with that, to me, sounds better than the real thing. I took an old bedroom door with a large plywood panel in the center and secured it between my feet. Then I laid a shoulder into it to get even more stability and wrapped my fist in a tube sock. All that's left to do is mic it and beat it! It had a real nice low end fundamental without ringing out forever. Very deep and punchy! Here's a link to one of the songs I recorded using these items:

http://www.terrancecox.com/MP3s/Fire...0of%20Life.mp3

As a side note, that is an old recording that I did using only an Oktava MK319 and an ART Studio MP. I even mixed it on a pair of Bose bookshelf speakers! It's not great, but considering my knowledge at the time and the tools I had to work with, I'm kinda proud of it.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Isn't it great when a wacky experiment comes out really well?

That's awesome stuff... nice work.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I must confess that nearly every recording of my original music made in the past ~25 years features at least one instance of Kitchen Percussion. Guess you could say it's an obsession of mine.
Old 31st December 2010
"You've gotta have the hardware and software that suits you best. I like this stuff... Tupperware..."

Good stuff!
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac
Hell yeah! I recently did something like this not too long ago when I was bored at home. It was all done on the same mic.. one guitar just different tones and for the drums I did a mix of claps/hitting a glass cup on my table for the snare and beat a three sided ruler on the arm of my couch for kick. No cymbals as of now, but maybe one day there will be.
Attached Files

jam.mp3 (2.13 MB, 208 views)

Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

OK...been doin a lil work on this!

The cookie tin snare just wouldn't come around. A few years back I bought my boys a toy drum kit; which has slowly but surely fallen apart..my daughter stuffed all the shells with crayons, hardware broken...yadda yada. The thing cost me $40, so no great loss...anyway, I snagged the snare. It's an 8" wide by 4" deep snare, with a really crappy rattler inside it. Tried micing it all sorts of ways, just wouldn't work

However, the tom was also 8", but much deeper...hrm.

Drilled some holes in it to mount the rattler (or whatever it's called;I'm no drummer), tore the outside wrap off it, and came up with a mounting solution. It came out pretty decent, but a real snare would be a lot less work!

I also needed a high hat, so I took the tiny cymbal from the set, and put it on a cookie cooling rack. I damped a drumstick with pipe insulation to soften attack (wanted to simulate the pedal).

Then I used some chimes my youngest daughter got for Christmas.

The mix is still in pretty rough shape, and still no vox yet, but it sounds pretty different:

Speed of light by Ron Vogel | OurStage
Attached Thumbnails
The lowest of low-end...kitchen utensils as rock drums...-k-drums-004.jpg   The lowest of low-end...kitchen utensils as rock drums...-k-drums-005.jpg   The lowest of low-end...kitchen utensils as rock drums...-k-drums-006.jpg  
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

Mix #1 is up...it was a monster:
Speed of light (mix 1) by Ron Vogel | OurStage
Old 31st January 2011
That is just awesome. My thing now is every cheesy sound I can get out of a cheap keyboard.
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

It's funny...I tried messing with some VST's for organic sound...and I like the Casio overdriving the amp a lot better. Drove my wife nuts when I was banging it out 'cus I'm a fairly sucky keyboard player and took a ton of takes.
Old 9th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
It's cool when somebody not only comes up with a solution to a problem, but has a cool song like this at the end. Great Job!

I would really like to hear the entire song whenever possible please...
This is as close as I can get it right now...going to sit on it and let it "breathe" until after I get done with the next one:

Speed of light (mix #3) by Ron Vogel | OurStage
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattqualls View Post
Hell yeah! I recently did something like this not too long ago when I was bored at home. It was all done on the same mic.. one guitar just different tones and for the drums I did a mix of claps/hitting a glass cup on my table for the snare and beat a three sided ruler on the arm of my couch for kick. No cymbals as of now, but maybe one day there will be.
That is really cool. Needs a vocal over top. I know its simple but it works
Old 13th February 2011
Gear Guru

Hah! I used to use all kinds of found objects for percussion back when when my entire rig was a Teac 3340s and a pair of mics. I would lay down a 'bass drum' track hitting a cardboard box with the round end of a drumstick, and then overdub a snare and hihat with a single mic. Metal garbage can lids would also make occasional appearances on non-trash days, as well as toy drums. Pianosaurus did a whole album with toy instruments. My first "shakers", which I still use 25 years later, are a couple of pieces of 2x4 with some automotive sandpaper glued to them. (tip: break them in outdoors so you don't get sandpaper grit all over the place). Coffee cans filled with nails or marbles work, too. Also, go to your local music store and pick up a variety of mallets, hard, medium, and soft.

Marshall Crenshaw once wrote an article about homebrew recording for Musician magazine. He described how he'd tap a ballpoint pen against an SM58 for the kick drum.

Aside from the fact that you can get very useful sounds this way, it's a really fun way to work.
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
snip..
Marshall Crenshaw once wrote an article about homebrew recording for Musician magazine. He described how he'd tap a ballpoint pen against an SM58 for the kick drum.
Aside from the fact that you can get very useful sounds this way, it's a really fun way to work.

Use the rounded eraser on a #2 pencil on that 58 instead of the ballpoint pen, if you want less click and more thump.

It must be a #2.
I prefer a Dixon Ticonderoga, but a PaperMate Mirado Black Warrior is prized as well.
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
"You've gotta have the hardware and software that suits you best. I like this stuff... Tupperware..."

Good stuff!
Tupperware is overrated, people just buy it impress naive groupies.

I like the 14" biscuit tin as a snare.
Old 13th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
Tupperware is overrated, people just buy it impress naive groupies.

I like the 14" biscuit tin as a snare.
I was going to build a full drum kit out of the cardboard we'll have lying around when we move studios. heh
Old 13th February 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen View Post
Use the rounded eraser on a #2 pencil on that 58 instead of the ballpoint pen, if you want less click and more thump.

It must be a #2.
I prefer a Dixon Ticonderoga, but a PaperMate Mirado Black Warrior is prized as well.
The Mirado Black Warrior has also been my choice for writing music for years. They hold a sharp point better than any other pencil. I actually have a lifetime supply of them in my basement, because I never want to run out, ever. I never liked the Ticonderoga.
Old 20th November 2011
Lives for gear

I came back to this, bass is a pain because it's detuned and muddy...but it's come around a little over the past several months.

Had to redo the guitar solo and fix a bunch of newb compressor settings:
Speed of light by Ron Vogel on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 21st November 2011
Lives for gear

You been hanging out with Shawn Pelton?

Ableton Artist: Shawn Pelton: Roll Your Own Loops - YouTube
Old 21st November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
You been hanging out with Shawn Pelton?

Ableton Artist: Shawn Pelton: Roll Your Own Loops - YouTube
That's pretty cool...I only have a 2 channel interface and mic'd the "kick" with 2 mics, and the snare the same way. It probably would have been much easier to play the kick and the snare together like that than the way I did it!

I did the guitars, then the bass. Once the bass was done I laid down the kick. I had to hold the kick between my knees with a mic on top and bottom. It was a kick from a toy set...so I massively de-tuned it to deepen it...and had to palm mute as I hit it with a mallet to keep it from ringing out too long. Then I rolled through the tune and played just the snare.

It was fun to do, but a really long process!
Old 21st November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Actually better than mere useful sounds - sounds that you don't hear used by everyone else every day...GREAT WORK!!
Old 22nd November 2011
I got a great bass drum sound once by lightly tapping on a condensor mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search