The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digimax FS and Digimax 48k preamp differences? Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Exclamation Digimax FS and Digimax 48k preamp differences?

Hello guys! I have a question, I am shopping for some an audio interface with standalone preamps, and came across the Digimax FS and Digimax 48k,, I want to know if the Preamps on both boxes are the same,, because I will just be using them for the preamps! I will be recording drums! Ok guys thanks for the help!!thumbsup
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

If by '48K' you mean the DigiMax D8, yes it's the same preamp with better conversion and added bells and whistles.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

will this preamp be good for Drums? thanks! Digimax D8
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Or perhaps he means this 48K:

GuitarCenter

The original 48K is a dicontinued older design built in the USA.

The Digimax FS and D8 are newer designs with newer preamps and converters, manufactured in China.

I have an FS, and drums are what I use it for primarily. Many smaller studios use the FS for drums. It is a good performer for the price.
The D8 has the same preamps as the FS, with less features. If you don't need the extra features of the FS, the D8 will save you some money.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

The FS/D8 pres are nice enough, quite clean (which many would label as 'boring'), sufficient gain (most of the time). Pretty much the same as found in most of the Presonus interfaces.

The older Digimax LT (the original 48K) has preamps similar to the Eureka (and the discontinued M80, MP20).
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

The D8 and FS are pretty much the same. The d8's main advantage is that you get meters on the front so you can monitor levels. On the FS, you lose the meters, BUT, you gain the advantage of having your XLR, 1/4" combo jacks on the front (a HUGE advantage in my opinion), and if memory serves, correctly, you get the ability of sending all 8 pre's out 2 ADAT cables, meaning you can use it's A/D converter at up to 96K (4 channels per cable rather than 8), something you cannot do with the d8.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

But since I got the A/D job covered by Apogee AD16x, then you guys think I would only need the Digimax D8 instead of the Digimax FS? also like I said,, I would only be using it for drums mainly! I have an avalon AD2022 and Presonus Eureka! do you guys think I will be able to get a good recording of drums with the D8, also is the headroom on the D8 pretty good for drums? because I use to have a M-audio projectmix I/O and that thing clipped like crazy with the toms! I use to hate that thing because I couldn't hit the drums hard because I would clip! and it didn't have a pad option, so i got rid of the thing! anyways,, does anyone have a recording of a D8 used on drums, or could you guys point me to a link to listen to it in action? thanks guys !!thumbsup
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton92 View Post
But since I got the A/D job covered by Apogee AD16x, then you guys think I would only need the Digimax D8 instead of the Digimax FS? also like I said,, I would only be using it for drums mainly! I have an avalon AD2022 and Presonus Eureka! do you guys think I will be able to get a good recording of drums with the D8, also is the headroom on the D8 pretty good for drums? because I use to have a M-audio projectmix I/O and that thing clipped like crazy with the toms! I use to hate that thing because I couldn't hit the drums hard because I would clip! and it didn't have a pad option, so i got rid of the thing! anyways,, does anyone have a recording of a D8 used on drums, or could you guys point me to a link to listen to it in action? thanks guys !!thumbsup
I've used the D8 on drums before, and it worked well. I had plenty of headroom, though I should mention that during that session the drummer wasn't exactly slamming drums (we were doing some light country type songs, nothing too hard hitting), but even then I was barely registering on the unit's meters, and getting good levels in Pro Tools. The only (complaint? caution?) I can make is that the pre's are VERY clean, worked well for most of my drums sounds, but I have run across instances where I wished for SOME form of harmonic distortion or coloration.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

hello guys I just found out about the Focusrite Octopre mkll,, how would they compare to the Digimax line of Presonus? but the important question is: does the Octopre mkll work as a standalone preamp? I've looked for an answer here on GS and Google but can't find an exact answer,, jeje, Thanks guys!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search