The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TC Electronics Finalizer Express 24 Bit Mastering Processor Multi-Effects Processors (HW)
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

TC Electronics Finalizer Express 24 Bit Mastering Processor

Whats up guys, does anyone have any good info on this unit.... I was reading a little on it and it sounds nice.... I do alot of what this does in the box but I was wondering being this is a analog type unit would it really give me that punch and more analog feel Im looking for... I tried looking it up on here but I could not find much info on it.... It sounds like this is something that I mite be missing in my final mix.... Thanks....

Im looking for a "Bigger Real Feel" LOL

Thanks Again
Old 29th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
Whats up guys, does anyone have any good info on this unit.... I was reading a little on it and it sounds nice.... I do alot of what this does in the box but I was wondering being this is a analog type unit would it really give me that punch and more analog feel Im looking for... I tried looking it up on here but I could not find much info on it.... It sounds like this is something that I mite be missing in my final mix.... Thanks....

Thanks Again

????

I think you should save your money.
Old 29th December 2010
Deleted #157546
If your looking for something to "master" your work on a budget, there are a lot of plug ins to choose from. Just use the search function on the forum and you will find a wealth of info.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
If your looking for something to "master" your work on a budget, there are a lot of plug ins to choose from. Just use the search function on the forum and you will find a wealth of info.
Will do.... I have some nice plug ins, I just wondering about this thing and if it would of made much of a difference ... thanks
Old 29th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Will do.... I have some nice plug ins, I just wondering about this thing and if it would of made much of a difference ... thanks

I think the Finalizer was kind of a cool piece during it's time. Now there is so much that trumps it.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
I think the Finalizer was kind of a cool piece during it's time. Now there is so much that trumps it.
Makes sense .... high tec lol
Old 30th December 2010
Quote:

Well it certainly is not an analog unit in any way, but if something (ie, that "bigger, real feel") is missing from your final mix then, respectfully, it's worth working on your final mix. Monitor a little louder if need be. Then if mastering requires just minor tweaks from track to track it's far more likely to retain the integrity and sense of "bigness" of the mixes.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
Well it certainly is not an analog unit in any way, but if something (ie, that "bigger, real feel") is missing from your final mix then, respectfully, it's worth working on your final mix. Monitor a little louder if need be. Then if mastering requires just minor tweaks from track to track it's far more likely to retain the integrity and sense of "bigness" of the mixes.
I've been re running my channels through a tube pre and it helps the mix big time
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Im attaching a mix that was processed through a finalizer express and mixed ITB so you can hear it. Just a remix I did for fun of shock the monkey.

Its a decent unit but a real mastering engineer will kill the box. New units don't sound much better to me, BUT they have more bands and features so its not an apples to apples comparison. The finalizer express was a cheap and easy way to get a finalizer but sacrifice some function for price. Only multiband and preset ratio grid.

Theres, as theyve pointed out, ZERO analog about that box other than it accepts an analog signal then converts it for processing- then back to analog out if you like.

Ive used one for a VERY long time as I refuse to master but clients want it anyway. Seems a waste to put 50 grand worth of gear through a 600 dollar box (what I paid new in the store).

And if your mixes dont sound big or larger than life going in, they sure wont coming out.

I like it because its fast and easy and sounds good via digital ( I dont like the analog section). But its by no means a magic box- it just gets the job done well enough with minimal effort.
Attached Files

shock_the_monkey_remix_160.mp3 (5.44 MB, 2820 views)

Old 30th December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:

Thanks Again
am I wrong?? ...this is not analog a bit (pun intended)
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDingus View Post
Im attaching a mix that was processed through a finalizer express and mixed ITB so you can hear it. Just a remix I did for fun of shock the monkey.

Its a decent unit but a real mastering engineer will kill the box. New units don't sound much better to me, BUT they have more bands and features so its not an apples to apples comparison. The finalizer express was a cheap and easy way to get a finalizer but sacrifice some function for price. Only multiband and preset ratio grid.

Theres, as theyve pointed out, ZERO analog about that box other than it accepts an analog signal then converts it for processing- then back to analog out if you like.

Ive used one for a VERY long time as I refuse to master but clients want it anyway. Seems a waste to put 50 grand worth of gear through a 600 dollar box (what I paid new in the store).

And if your mixes dont sound big or larger than life going in, they sure wont coming out.

I like it because its fast and easy and sounds good via digital ( I dont like the analog section). But its by no means a magic box- it just gets the job done well enough with minimal effort.

I have to say that mix sound good
Old 6th February 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDingus View Post

Excellent mix...
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

Man I really regret selling my Finalizer Express back in 2004 o r 2005. It would be so helpful as a unit to use for some volume on some of the more aggressive mixes I do. It would help me not rely on ITB limiters as much to get loudness or "limiting." A pretty well-known mastering guy at the time told me not to use it cuz I'm sure I was abusing it & that probably made his job harder. I was more of a weekend warrior studio dude back then & didn't really work as an engineer full time & as my career like i do now. So i sold it == cheap. Blah. Word to wise: try to keep everything even if it seems small & trivial cuz u never know when i will be the ticket for something.

But just like any other piece of gear, when used as another studio tool to get certain results it can give ur music an edge over the competition. It's a great unit for price IMO.
Old 21st November 2014
Gear Guru
How good is the a/d conversion in it given it's an old unit? What would be comparable since I use it for conversion?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search