The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Review - Secrets of the Pros - Modern Recording and Mixing Dynamic Microphones
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Review - Secrets of the Pros - Modern Recording and Mixing

Picked up the Secrets of the Pros - Modern Recording and Mixing DVD

Here's some of the things the website says the DVD will deliver.

Mixing - Techniques to vastly improve your mixes

The Big Secret - ...talk in depth about cutting edge, and inexpensive ways to set up your studio properly...

Pro techniques for: Recording vocals, drums, bass, guitar. Recording electric & acoustic guitar

If you were to closely observe the best producers and engineers in the audio world as they record, edit, and mix, you would see many of them using similar techniques... This title will show you these techniques.

There wasn't a single piece of info in the DVD that a search through this forum or google wouldn't uncover.

To be fair, the big secret portion did a good job in tackling the acoustic issues in most home studios. Why they didn't take five minutes to show how to build a basic absorber is beyond me.

The description and pictures on the website led me to believe I would get specific techniques for mic placement for things like guitar cabs and drums. "This title will show you these techniques"

Here's what I learned.

While there's nothing wrong with inexpensive preamps; You really need to upgrade to the over $1000 preamps to play ball in the major league.

Try not to use EQ and Compression in the recording process.

Electric guitars: An SM-57 will be used 99% of the time. Experiment with placement. Better yet, use Amp Farm. (Sigh)

Acoustic Guitar: Use a Neumann KM 184 at least 12 inches away from the guitar. (No mention of which part of the guitar). If you don't have a Neumann, use your main vocal mic.

Bass: Use a direct box and make sure there's a balanced tone from string to string.

Drums: Be prepared to spend a ton of time to get the sound right. A drummer who knows how to properly setup and tune the kit is essential.

Vocals: There are no rules. Try not to swallow the mic. Use a lot of absorption.

Mixing techniques:

Label your channels, busses, sends and returns.

EQ: Use a high pass filter everywhere. Use complimentary eq. (Cut the bass guitar at a freq to bring out the kick drum)

Delay: sync delay to tempo to reinforce the groove.

Reverb: Use short Verb to thicken, use long verb to for "in the colosseum" sound.

All told, this is a good DVD if you're a beginner and want to wrap your head around some general concepts. But overall I think this product is overpriced. At $40, I'm feeling like there should have been at least one or two genuine secrets. How to get that warm analog sound or something.

Considering that most major motion pictures can be purchased for $10. $25 for this 2 DVD set seems more reasonable.
Old 29th December 2010
TLR
Gear Head

I enjoyed the light hearted style throughout the DVD, and I always enjoy an interview with the mixing "superstars" where the interviewer is respected professionally by the interviewee. A part that was unique to this DVD was the Mixing Session where the camera was in a fixed position almost throughout the entire session with the camera only rarely cutting away, which you rarely see on these kinds of Audio Workshops.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

I have seen half of their vids and none of them are worth buying unless you know absolutely nothing about digital recording
If you want some good vids on mixing, editing and the like check multi-platinum

I own most of there stuff and really have learned a lot from them
Most of the instructors are very knowledgeable
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarheadhunt View Post
I have seen half of their vids and none of them are worth buying unless you know absolutely nothing about digital recording
If you want some good vids on mixing, editing and the like check multi-platinum

I own most of there stuff and really have learned a lot from them
Most of the instructors are very knowledgeable
agreed.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I got a bunch of gift cards for christmas.

Should be getting my copy of multi platinum mixing soon.

The youtube videos look great
Old 4th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgtrguy View Post
I got a bunch of gift cards for christmas.

Should be getting my copy of multi platinum mixing soon.

The youtube videos look great
It's a great DVD. I had the pleasure of taking John Merchant's Mixing Techniques and Technologies class at MTSU. Great guy and great teacher.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Head

you will not be dis appointed. I have the mixing dvd and it is great

the cool thing is if your using protools, which is what he is using. Or any other daw. You can load the audio files into a session or if you have pt just open the session file. Have the video play on quick time or something similar and set to have the audio play from your internal speakers. Then open the session file up and have the audio from your daw playing through your interface and follow along in real time.
I would watch a portion of the vid and then do everything he did, to get that hands on training and pretty much mix the song along with him. Very valuable real time training. Just like taking a class.

They just had a sale everything was 40% off i do not know if it is still going on but i just bought there new midi dvd and their song production dvd.

I hope you enjoy and every once in a while they do have a sale.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search