The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Naiant X-W Condenser Microphones
Old 29th December 2010
Naiant X-W

Hi

I'm contemplating buying some Naiant X-Ws and wanted some advice. I should stress that this will be my first microphone purchase, so I'm wanting to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I am a cathedral organist and want to be able to record myself both at the cathedral and on smaller instruments - a mixture of recitals but also serious recording for release on CD. I will be purchasing more gear in a few months time to facilitate the CD recording side, but want to start with a pair of omnis - a popular choice for organ recording, it would seem.

Does anyone have experience with the Naiant X-W? I am contemplating buying a matched trio to use on a decca tree, but also to be able to cart two around with me for recital recording (into Reaper via a Focusrite Saffire 6). Is the Naiant a good choice, or for my money would I be better looking at something like the Studio Projects C4 pair? Will the self noise on the Naiants be an issue for me?

Cheers in advance!

Richard
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

well, i love my naiants! they sound incredibly transparent, really fast, not too noisy, etc.
unfortunately, i can never use them, cause they are way too sensitive to every little background noise, seriously, stuff we could barely hear during tracking was loud as anything on playback. i heard my hair rustling, breathing, etc. now, a church organ should be loud enough for this to not be a problem.
i would consider the CAD M179 (140$) also, as it is multipattern (and beyond...) very quiet, neutral character, etc. and will be way more useful if you get into tracking other instruments, or voices.
but i really dig those lil' naiants! they are super cool and pretty affordable. also the "little blondies" seem to get a lot of love here @GS. good luck!
rock on!
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

I also am interested in finding out more about Naiant mics.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

IF an omni is right for your needs, these are the stuff!
a church organ, in a big cathedral - perfect!
in a small room that wasn't purpose built specifically for acoustics - maybe not...
this is a huge consideration. if the space is good enough, and quiet enough, then this is a great mic. very accurate and realistic. no hype. i love them in my diy jecklin disc. esp. out in the cathedral.
but in, say, a bedroom, or a home studio, on quiet sources, it's virtually unusable. strange little mouth noises, fingers hitting the soundboard, breathing. (OMG can we tape the harpists mouth shut.) air traffic. stuff i didn't really even notice while recording suddenly becomes very noticeable. perfect spy mic...

mine were very affordable, i use them every chance i get, and i highly recommend them. (maybe a few times a year)

a much more versatile mic like the m179 seems like an ideal choice for something that will do both omni and just about all other pickup patterns. much better "first mic" much more useful, still a very neutral character.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

+1 for Naiant mics.

I have a pair of x series omnis, and I've used them as drum OH, distant guitar mic, room ambiance mic, and a few times for close mic duty.

I love 'em.

Very clean transparent sound. Even freq. response. As others have noted, they may need a pad, esp on OH duty. They are sensitive.

Amazing build quality; each one handmade.

I'm looking at his new preamps, which have nice feature sets, seem geared towards remote work.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Talking Spy mic, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejon View Post
...this is a huge consideration. if the space is good enough, and quiet enough, then this is a great mic. very accurate and realistic. no hype. i love them in my diy jecklin disc. esp. out in the cathedral.
but in, say, a bedroom, or a home studio, on quiet sources, it's virtually unusable. strange little mouth noises, fingers hitting the soundboard, breathing. (OMG can we tape the harpists mouth shut.) air traffic. stuff i didn't really even notice while recording suddenly becomes very noticeable. perfect spy mic...
Yup, turtlejon hit the nail on the head. I've got the X-S's and these mics are outstanding....but if you don't have a treated room with experienced and disciplined players you'll wind up with a little bit of everything on your recordings from the slightest movement in your chair to even batting your eyelids! OK, Just joking about the batting your eyes but you'd be better served using something else as a "multi-purpose" 1st mic. Although if times are not that hard for you, invest in a pair of Naiant's since they only run from $30 to $150 for the X-series. You won't regret it. They do sound absolutely amazing in the right application. thumbsup
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

I have both the cad179 and a set of Naiant's. I would agree with the choice of the 179. Very good mic for the price and you will end up being able to use it on a lot of other sources and scenarios that would not be so great with Naiant's. The 179's, to my ears, are not as shrill and have a more pleasing sound than any other cheap mic of its kind that I have tried or owned. I thinks a set in a cathedral would provided you with a real nice mix.

BTW, have you heard that Lou Harrison piece for organ and percussion? Top notch modern piece. Oh, and Gloria Coates string quartet no# 7 with organ is so awesome. I digress. So is Buxtehude and Messsian.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I have a naiant and it sounds awesome. there is no way to describe how good or cool these things are especially for the price.
Old 1st January 2011
Thanks for all the advice.... very interesting. At this stage I don't have much money to splash around, but I expect to shortly.... a few project applications I'm waiting to hear back on, and the money from those will fund gear.

In terms of the Naiants, what would you suggest for organ? X-W, X-M or X-S? I'm worried that the X-S may be getting too noisy. Would the X-W be too directional to use on a Decca tree?

Thanks again!
Old 1st January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
BTW, have you heard that Lou Harrison piece for organ and percussion? Top notch modern piece. Oh, and Gloria Coates string quartet no# 7 with organ is so awesome. I digress. So is Buxtehude and Messsian.
Had not come across the Lou Harrison piece before... listening now. Fantastic stuff! Thanks for the introduction.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

If a guy were to get an xs for violin would you recommend the instrument mount or some other setup? I mean for the cost of the mount you could another mic and do stereo...
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
Thanks for all the advice.... very interesting. At this stage I don't have much money to splash around, but I expect to shortly.... a few project applications I'm waiting to hear back on, and the money from those will fund gear.

In terms of the Naiants, what would you suggest for organ? X-W, X-M or X-S? I'm worried that the X-S may be getting too noisy. Would the X-W be too directional to use on a Decca tree?

Thanks again!

My X-S is SUPER quiet! But you can always email the company (that's what I did) and ask him which mic they recommend for what you are doing. The guy who runs the company has excellent customer service.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search