The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Scsi zip Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Scsi zip

Hi there, I have a MPC and a akai S series sampler and only one zip drive.
Is it possible to run both off one zip drive or will I need another drive?
sorry for the noob question.

Have read
We sell Iomega SCSI Zip Drives
but cant make out if the scsi devices are other HD or samplers.

Cheers

Rob
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Are you asking if the Zip drive can be connected to both the MPC and the sampler at the same time? If so, the answer is no - SCSI chains can only have one controller.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoDaylight View Post
If so, the answer is no - SCSI chains can only have one controller.
It seems like something I was reading mentioned such a scenario, and said that you had to be careful not to try to access the external drive from one master while the other was still using it (implying that you could actually do something like that). I'm thinking it was about a DAW-drive-sampler config and may have been in a FAQ for some computer based sample utility I was looking at for one of my Peavey samplers. Not sure if it works with all setups, and it sounded sketchy anyhow, like it wasn't something SCSI rigs were really intended to do. You'd probably also end up with an ID conflict if the two samplers didn't allow you to change them.

Take Care

PS- Man, that SCSI stuff was a train wreck. heh
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Wow.. I still have a SCSI zip drive - had no idea anyone still used them.

PM me if you want it - I'll sell it to you cheaper than that place if you want another one.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Until very recently I was using Zips and Jazs.
Contrary to all the horror stories, they can be a reliable means of backing up and transferring data.
BUT you need to remember that what you have is basically a hard disk with holes in it that CAN let dust in.
So the moral is to keep them in a reasonably clean environment, store disks out of the way of household dirt etc & you`ll be fine.

And yes they are available at silly cheap prices if you look around.

So the answer is to get a second zip drive.

In the UK they run around $5-20 a piece, usually with at least one zip disk.
Surely thy cant be any dearer than that in the USA?

Last edited by ivansc; 30th December 2010 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: Would someone tell me what the question was again, please?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Wow.. I still have a SCSI zip drive
Yes... but do you have FIVE of them? heh

I've actually got one here in black that's an internal model. I'm considering putting it inside one of my Peavey SP's in place of the 3.5 floppy.

ivansc- Syquest 135s were my thing back in the day. I had quite a few drive and cartridge failures with those. Hope the Zips hold up better. The Zips always did feel more solid.

George
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

as far as I remember the SCSI address for the controller is SCSI address 1.

some samplers act as controller as does a SCSI equipped Mac.
so something like an ASQ10 and a SCSI drive and a Mac can't be connected to the same SCSI chain.

devices where you can change the SCSI address should be ok.

The SCSI device isn't the same as the Drive. so a removable has a hardware device and a drive which can be swapped. like a Zip. so as long as the samplers aren't accessing the drive, switching the removable drive between
tow different formatted drives should be ok as well.

so in SCSI a controller is a device which can't have it's SCSI channel address changed from 1.
maybe it's zero.. but the same difference.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Muser,

It's been a while, but I think the Mac internal controllers may have been fixed on 7. I think the standard for the internal drives on those was zero. A sampler-drive-computer config shouldn't have been that uncommon as there were a bunch of people doing SCSI/SMDI dumps. The part about accessing the external drive from the computer or a second sampler is where it probably gets weird though.

Take Care
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidis View Post
Muser,

It's been a while, but I think the Mac internal controllers may have been fixed on 7. I think the standard for the internal drives on those was zero. A sampler-drive-computer config shouldn't have been that uncommon as there were a bunch of people doing SCSI/SMDI dumps. The part about accessing the external drive from the computer or a second sampler is where it probably gets weird though.

Take Care
you mean Mac OS7 ?

you could never change the Mac address. not that I heard anyhow.

you don't want your computer to access an Akai or (other) formated drive if it's been formated with a proprietary DOS variant (which is what old Akais & EMUs had).

The process usually involved a SCSI volume mounting procedure from the computer. SCSI wasn't like USB or Firewire, in that when you attach USB or Firewire drives to a computer buss, they mount automatically.

mounting on SCSI was an intentional action using a separate application or Disk mounting software.

if you don't try to mount the Akai formated drive, it just stays on the SCSI bus just fine. you have to know how to set the jumpers on the SCSI physical drive though, or sometimes they had a little click switch on the drive case to set the SCSI address number. They all have to be different and a maximum of 7 drives or SCSI pieces are possible.

anyhow, just use a gash disk in the Jaz or zip to see. if the removable messes up it's no biggy.

if your that worried you can get an old 25pin switcher. that will physically disconnect the computer using a rotary switch.

I got an old desktop computer case in the past and put in a switcher a apple 300i CD-ROM and a 128Meg optical and a 1GIG SCSI drive in there.
I had my kurzweil and my Mac connected. that was 5 SCSI addresses.

I could send samples from the Mac using passport Alchemy to the kurzweil and the drive was formated by a kurzweil proprietary format which the Mac could not read. I had no problems.

I bet you could get an old loaded SCSI Glyph rack for peanuts.
I think a company called DAC used to do them too, in the UK.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Hey again Muser,

No, I mean the actual SCSI ID of that internal controller was usually ID#7.

And yeah, the stuff I was remembering, involving the computer accessing the sampler disks, was indeed running something specifically for reading those weird proprietary formats. That was where I remembered reading those warnings about not using the drive while the other host was accessing it.

Take Care
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

yes, accessing sampler formatted drives was either a complete no no or a black art. to make an AKAI CD ROM from the Akai drive required a RAW data burn. you never accessed them.

good new year to you all.

best.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
if your that worried you can get an old 25pin switcher. that will physically disconnect the computer using a rotary switch.
Yeah, but wouldn't you end up with an unterminated chain then? My last dealings with SCSI/computer sample transfers were actually on a PC host with an Adaptec card. From what I remember, it not only had to be properly terminated, but the crap even had to come up in the right order or there were "issues". One end absolutely had to be powered up and connected before the other one booted or it would freeze the whole rig or some mess (could be specific to certain hardware though).

George
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah, but wouldn't you end up with an unterminated chain then? My last dealings with SCSI/computer sample transfers were actually on a PC host with an Adaptec card. From what I remember, it not only had to be properly terminated, but the crap even had to come up in the right order or there were "issues". One end absolutely had to be powered up and connected before the other one booted or it would freeze the whole rig or some mess (could be specific to certain hardware though).

George
well yes SCSI was always like that. sometimes things needed terminating sometimes it was ok. but if you switch to some other place then that could have a device with it's own terminator or not. it's the end of any specific chain which usually required termination. some drives had dual 50 pin connectors so you could either daisy chain or terminate with a termination block.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Man.. you guys are bringing back BAD memories..

SDS, SMDI.. SampleVision... ick.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Man.. you guys are bringing back BAD memories..

SDS, SMDI.. SampleVision... ick.
ahaha yeah I know.

I recently go an old G3 333 SCSI powerbook going on OS9.0.4 and got it reading a Dual SCSI CF card reader. I even got it to boot of a 4Gig card in it's own PCMCIA slot and took out the drive. silent operation. thumbsup

but boy OS9 really rips along as an OS. the CF stuff makes SCSI a bit of a different proposition but it doesn't remove any overall SCSI issues.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes... but do you have FIVE of them? heh

I've actually got one here in black that's an internal model. I'm considering putting it inside one of my Peavey SP's in place of the 3.5 floppy.

ivansc- Syquest 135s were my thing back in the day. I had quite a few drive and cartridge failures with those. Hope the Zips hold up better. The Zips always did feel more solid.

George
Well, I've got 3 of em, and 2 SCSI Cd burners, anybody want em? I have absolutely no use for them anymore
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I actually gave away a whole side porch full of that stuff to a teacher who had a want ad on Craigslist. Macs, external drives, even a cool ass Mac clone. And I still have that junk all over everywhere. heh

biggator6- Had to bring SDS into this didn't you?

This stuff makes you wonder which parts of today's cutting edge technology we'll eventually look back on like this.

Take Care
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search