The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
No inexpensive 4-8 channel analogue to digital converter? Audio Interfaces
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

No inexpensive 4-8 channel analogue to digital converter?

Thank to all for looking.

When I bought my cheap home studio setup I made a mistake; I got just a 2 channel interface and a Mackie Onyx 1620 instead of simply getting an 8 channel interface w/pre's. It will be good to have the Mackie for live stuff if I get a band together, but I've found recording drums w/4 mics through the mixer, guessing at eq'ing and mixing tedious. I'd much rather just get the tracks ITB and take care of it there.

Money is really tight right now, so I probably won't be selling my M-Audio Fastrack Pro for a while and buying an 8 channel pre. I've kept my eye open, and read months of threads, but haven't seen a product that would simply allow me to take at least 4-8 channels from the Onyx and convert it into a digital signal (preferrably USB, and definitely PC) without also paying for at least 4 pre's (which I don't need since I have the Onyx, and the pre's are supposed to be adequate for what I'm doing, and certainly better than the Fastrack Pro's pre's I suppose). I'm surprised there isn't a market out there for a ~$200 box that only does A>D conversion so that people could use pre-existing mixers instead of picking up a standalone interface. I'm probably missing something, but is anyone aware of something like this that would be adequate quality for decent demos?

And, while I have you here, I guess I should ask a somewhat annoyingly open-ended ; when I finally break down and pick up something with 8 channels, what's the best bang-for-buck interface for sound quality (USB or firewire, it'll be on a new PC system)? I'll be doing Americana and rock, so I probably will be looking to get a pretty accurate picture of what I'm doing without coloration, I'd look to pick up something like a GAP 73 for that. It would be nice to be able to do some summing back through the Onyx but that's not a deal breaker. I'd like it to be a mid-level so I don't have to go back and replace it anytime soon, and used is fine.

Thanks very much for the info, take care.

Jim
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Lexicon Omega
M-Audio Quattro - Used

I think you can probably find lots, including older MOTU units, etc on eBay. Just because they're a few years old doesn't mean they don't still work great!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Tascam US-1641 is so cheap relative to its capabilities that it might be worth having the extra preamps. $299 gets you an 8 channel A/D plus 8 mic preamps plus some MIDI stuff.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

M-Audio Delta 1010 and Echo Layla 3G are the first ones that come to my mind. They can go pretty cheap used, and both are well worth it. I got my Delta 1010 off of ebay for $200. I had to be patient, but they come up from time to time in that price range... But the problem with those is I believe the Onyx 1620 can't output all eight channels independently, or can it? I don't know. But it does appear the 1620 has a firewire I/O option which means you could just buy that firewire card, and then record each input to it's own unique track. Those are some options for you, anyway.

Lastly, I don't know that I'd be looking at a GAP Pre73 for doing "a pretty accurate picture of what I'm doing without coloration". The Onyx pres should be much cleaner. The GAP is more known for the sweet, beefy coloration it imparts onto the signal. But I still think it would be a good choice add some contrast to your sound.
Old 29th December 2010
That's because the converters in these units are quite good to start and in order to get a lot better you gotta spend a lot of money. I've had, presonus, focusrites and currently use the SSL alphalink (which is the best bang for the buck imo). They all sound very good. Preamps in some of those boxes aren't, but the conversion quality is good. Not the best, but very good. The onyx pres will serve you very well.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

But no converter?

Thanks for the info all.
I'm just shocked that there's not a pure AD converter out there so that people could use pre-existing mixers with decent pre's.

And yes, the Onyx he's seperate outs, or at least I would imagine the channel inserts could be used that way...
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

The Motu MK3 is pretty close to what youre looking for, I just ordered mine (cant wait to get it out of the box!)

It has 6 analog ins, only the first pair of them have mic preamps, the remaining 4 are just analog line level A/D like you said

You could add another same or different interface to go into the digital inputs and get 12 or more tracks going
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
Motu Ultralite Mkiii has 2 pre amps and 6 line inputs ($549)
Presonus Firestudio mobile has the same. ($299)
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

Many thanks!

Thanks very much guys, the MOTU looks like a great option if the money's available, and the Firestudio looks like the interface I would have bought in the first place had I known about it.

Thanks very much for the info...
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

I use a MOTU 828MKII, it has 2 mic/DI's (not great quality, but usable in a pinch) 8 analog inputs (balanced TRS) and one ADAT input (8 channels at 44.1/48k) and 2 SPDIF inputs. I got mine for $325 used a couple years ago, I'm sure you could get one for under $300 easy. Mine's firewire, but there was a USB2 version, as well. The original 828 was decent, too, with basically the same inputs, etc, just no hardware monitoring/mixing, so zero latency monitoring required an external mixer.

I think if you're willing to go with a used piece, there are lots of options at that price point, and they will be better and more flexible than any $200 new piece.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

Great....

Thanks very much John, another great option for me to look at!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

As someone has already mentioned... I would suggest getting the Firewire upgrade card for your 1620... this will totally solve your problem.

I picked up one up for my 1620 on eBay for $250... works great! Gives you 16 simultaneous tracks..and you can monitor from your Mackie board. Very slick. I use mine for live tracking gigs and rehearsals.. works very well into Reaper on my laptop.

If you are still interested in a cheap stand-alone AD/DA... check out the Behringer ADA8000
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Hmm...

I looked at the Behringer Gord, I didn't think it had the ins/out's I needed. I'll check again (I think what's missing is the direct interface to get it in the computer (USB/Firewire).

I did consider the Firewire option for the Onyx; I haven't seen it for less than $350 unless it's refurbished, and since Mackie has stopped supporting the older Onyx series, I don't have a whole lot of trust in them as a company (I read months ago that when someone tried to get a part from Mackie they were told that they couldn't get it because Mackie had decided to stop supporting the older Onyx series as soon as the new mixers had come out!). The 16 tracks in is nice, but with only a stereo return I'd lose the summing mixing option, although it is worth considering. I think if I could get a new card at $250 I'd consider it, maybe prices will fall as the new board sells more units.

Thanks very much for chiming in, it does have me rethinking the firewire card (it would be nice to have for practice/gigging down the line...
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut
I found this... I'm not sure how the converters are, but it is cheap.

SM Pro Audio
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

For just the A/D to ADAT that really isn`t that cheap, compared to several other alternates that also give you mic pres AND in some cases D/A and 8 line outs for similar price.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPizza View Post
I found this... I'm not sure how the converters are, but it is cheap.

SM Pro Audio
Hmm. damn, that's close Tactical, I'm just curious if, since I'm going into a laptop, whether it can preserve the eight separate channels without going into ADAT? I'll have to check it out...

And yeah Ivan, I haven't found the price for this yet but I wouldn't doubt if it's pretty close to what an 8 channel w/pre's would go for used.

Thanks to you both for your knowledge and time, I appreciate it!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I have used the 828 MKI and MKII extensively and can testify to their reliability and acceptable conversion quality. I sold my MKI in perfect working condition for less than $200 on ebay. I got the MKII cause I actually use all the bells and whistles with regard to monitoring, adat i/o, etc., and like the front panel display and whatnot. If I was looking for a straight no-frills affordable 8 to 12 channel i/o I would look at the echo Audiofire 8 (or 12). I have heard great things about the quality of their converters for that price point.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Behringer ADA8000. The pres are trash but the conversion is quite good, I'd say
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

i hear / read about alot of people being fine with that ada8000, or whatever. never used, but hear about it very frequently.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

The ADA8000 isn't a firewire or usb interface, just ADAT. It works ok, as an add on to something like the MOTU 828, etc.

I had an Echo audiofire 12 for a while, the conversion is quite good. I had some clocking issues (which I figured out after I'd already bought the 828 MKII to replace it with!)
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

right... duh. sorry
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Nut

again..

Great, thanks guys, every little bit helps and gives me something else to investigate and learn about.

One thing I was wondering; the Onyx has the DB25 out; it that a fairly common ADAT input that I would find on a bunch of 8 channel interfaces?
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zencatt View Post
Great, thanks guys, every little bit helps and gives me something else to investigate and learn about.

One thing I was wondering; the Onyx has the DB25 out; it that a fairly common ADAT input that I would find on a bunch of 8 channel interfaces?
Not really, its not an ADAT (digital) input....its an analog one...there db25 takes your 8 analog outputs and runs them along just the one cable...absolutely GREAT for when you have everything going to the one place...there might be some interfaces that have them, but generally speaking i've only seen it on much higher end stuff like the lynx or apogee converters or something...if someone know's about a product that has them pretty cheap, i'd really like to know.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear
On another note, i'm pretty sure with that mixer you can get a digital card for it...it'll then send the stuff to your computer via firewire.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search