The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Putting Together my First Recording Studio Audio Interfaces
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Arrow Putting Together my First Recording Studio

Hi, new guy here! fuuck heh

Anywho, I've got some new equipment that I have not much used yet, as I'm a total n00b...

Here's my modest lil' setup so far:

Focusrite - Saffire Pro 24 DSP
Line6 - POD HD500
AKG - K271 Headphones

I don't have any monitors yet, but will get some when I can afford them.

I have no real professional aspirations here. I'm just a guy that wants to record his guitar, program some drums, use some loops, some VST plugins, and create my own music.

I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me out with.

1.)
I want to connect my POD HD500 into my Saffire Pro 24, and I'm wondering which connection I should use, XLR or SPDIF? What difference will it make, and way would you use one or the other?

2.)
I need some guidance on choosing my DAW software.

Maybe Reaper! lol

If I'm going to spend big bucks on a DAW it will be Presonus - Studio One Pro, but with my relatively meager needs and bank funds, I'd like to find something less expensive that will still allow me to grow, be creative, and produce a good quality finished product.

The lower cost DAWs I've come across that look interesting are these:

Mixcraft
Multitrackstudio
N-Track
Reaper

Any recommendation among these three?

Are there any others I should be looking at?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch Master View Post
NO "REAPER"!
why?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
why?
+1 with a WHY?

you gotta be crazy to overlook reaper if you are just starting out and are gonna buy........it is easily on off the best DAW u can get......! other than that i would get the new Pro Tools9 but that quite frankly would be stupid considering you can get Reaper!
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

I hear you, and I'm not saying it isn't great and all, and may end up using it at some point. I know it's super powerful, much more than I need right now, but it just isn't as n00b friendly as some of the others I've played around with. People seem to use Reaper + something else for this or that, including mastering, why is that? Is not a complete DAW? Is it not designed for mastering and such?

Reaper has become the new "CSB", "In!", or "First!" knee-jerk response to any person ever asking for DAW advice anywhere on the internet. I played around with it, watched a lot of vids, read reviews, and I'm just not interested at this time.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I think that's because Reaper is kinda like ..

Reaper is to Pro tools as Firefox is to Internet Explorer

I do admit though I don't know much about Reaper, I may be totally off.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

"...People seem to use Reaper + something else for this or that, including mastering, why is that?

I don't... after testing it in a recording situation with a band in my studio, I now use it for everything... and it's continuously getting better... BTW, I've been through Cubase, Nuendo, Pro Tools and Logic...

"...Is not a complete DAW? Is it not designed for mastering and such?..."

... in fact, it is even more than a complete DAW and you can also do mastering with it...
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LirvA View Post
I don't quite get this comment.

Firefox was way ahead of IE in terms of tabbed browsing and add-ons. It has also been much more W3C compliant than IE ever was from day one. Cross platform compatibility is also a big plus in my book.

FF has been my main browser for years because it kicks IE's ass in numerous ways.

..so are you saying that Reaper is good?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

From what I understand it is very good. As I said, I don't know much about it. I only learned about it like a month ago from some guy at a local music store.

I have it installed on my comp but I need more equipment before I can begin to learn and use it. I'm a newb when it comes to recording. (simple guitar player/singer/song writer)

I have no idea if my FF analogy was good or not. Is Reaper open source? Pretty much all I know about Reaper is they're not ****ing proprietary and license ****s like Pro tools and pretty much every one else, and users can develop plug ins. Also it's very cheap in comparison to the other guys, and you can use it for free past the trial period without features being crippled.

Quote:
FF has been my main browser for years because it kicks IE's ass in numerous ways.
+1 not even close

If I still used Internet Explorer, I'd slit my wrists.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
From what I understand it is very good. As I said, I don't know much about it. I only learned about it like a month ago from some guy at a local music store.

I have it installed on my comp but I need more equipment before I can begin to learn and use it. I'm a newb when it comes to recording. (simple guitar player/singer/song writer)

I have no idea if my FF analogy was good or not. Is Reaper open source? Pretty much all I know about Reaper is they're not ****ing proprietary and license ****s like Pro tools and pretty much every one else, and users can develop plug ins. Also it's very cheap in comparison to the other guys, and you can use it for free past the trial period without features being crippled.

+1 not even close

If I still used Internet Explorer, I'd slit my wrists.
I though you were dissin' Reaper. Like I said, it wasn't clear what you were trying to say.

Cheers!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Oh I see. No, not what I meant.

I can't wait to check it out actually.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:

I think from a marketing standpoint this analogy may ring true.

Because Internet Explorer is bundled with every version of Windows, there are some users (mainly older, like my parents) who believe Explorer is their only browser choice. We who use FF know this is not true and in fact it is a more superior product. For those not in the know (people outside of production), they believe Pro Tools is the only professional DAW. So I think Reaper may be gaining some market share and may give Pro Tools a real run for it's money as it matures as a DAW. I must admit I use Pro Tools and not Reaper, but have heard nothing but good reviews so far.

For the OP, why not try Studio One Artist? This way you will be familiar with Studio One's GUI when you upgrade to pro instead of learning a new DAW all over again.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
I would recommend getting a few books/dvds/etc:

1. mixing/live sound reinforcement
2. Recording

The reason I recommend the live sound side of it:
Recording books/DVD's seem to always assume you already know things like:

Line Level, Instrument level, Mic Level, balanced, unbalanced, etc

IF you don't understand how a mixer works, its hard to wrap your head around
any DAW as that is basically a virtual mixer. When you purchase an interface then you will know why its important to have pre amp, line, and other types of inputs/outputs so you don't waste your time and money.
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

I guess I'll look more into Reaper again, but why would I choose Reaper over an easier to use solution that costs the same as Reaper, or one that even costs more?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
I don't quite get this comment.

Firefox was way ahead of IE in terms of tabbed browsing and add-ons. It has also been much more W3C compliant than IE ever was from day one. Cross platform compatibility is also a big plus in my book.

..so are you saying that Reaper is good?
Yup. Reaper is just as powerful as most other DAW's, easy to use, tons of tutorials for stuff you don't yet know how to do, updated frequently, high quality, very few glitches and bugs (the only crashes I've EVER had I can count on one hand and were due to bad plugs, not the DAW).

Firefox and Reaper are both sort of underdogs. I love Reaper and use it exclusively (except for doing fades and trims in Audacity occasionally).
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

OK, you Reaper fanatics are gonna love this! lol

I installed the Mixcraft 5 demo, and within about 15 minutes I had created a loop based song with several tracks, added effects, mixed it and mastered it! But that's not even the most interesting part! What's really crazy is that I then launched Reaper, and immediately it made more sense to me!

I think I'll give Reaper a serious try now, and I think I'll buy this video tutorial series to help me along the way:
Reaper Explained by Kenny Gioia
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
+1 with a WHY?

you gotta be crazy to overlook reaper
No, I don't mean

"Why the hell don't you like reaper, to be on the Low End forum you have to love it and plug it to everyone"

I mean

"Tell me what you don't like about it and I will recommend a product that fulfils what you are looking for"
Old 29th December 2010

reaper can be simple to

follow with me

ctrl t create new track
on the mixer press the ar button
set preamp level so the red lights dont flash
hit the red button on the thing that looks like walkman controls
repeat
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Guys, I ended up going with Reaper, and so far I'm glad I did. I don't know much about other DAWs, but this one is incredibly customizable, which I really like. Right now I'm going through tutorials so that I understand the basic functions of using a DAW, and Reaper in particular. So far I've been learning how to get my devices set up, and so far so good, but things are going to get more complicated when my cables get here tomorrow, and I can actually connect my POD HD500 to my Saffire Pro 24 and try and make some recordings.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search