The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best way to Connect Audio Interfaces
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Best way to Connect

Hello all, i have a quick question... what would be the best way to connect a TC Helicon Voiceworks with a Presonus Firestudio project? (s/pdif, balanced 1/4 into presonus, connecting direct to presonus then sending output to voiceworks then back into presonus, etc...)

Would using the Firestudio pre's be better than the voiceworks?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.... :p

Thanks
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
Directly on the voiceworks, it probably wouldn't make a whole lot of difference plugging into the firestudio and then back into the voiceworks and then back into the firestudio...

On connection, probably better off plugging it in via s/pdif otherwise it'll be going through AD > DA > AD....plugging in directly via s/pdif would be just AD (im talking about analog to digital conversion btw).

Dunno if it'll work this way...but if say you're recording voice, i'd be more inclined to record the voice first, have the TC Helicon plugged into the firestudio via s/pdif, and route your voice through the s/pdif output. Then obviously the signal coming back from the TC Helicon would be coming through your s/pdif input. This way you have the flexibility of recording the voice and focusing on getting the sound right on the TC Helicon without losing a potentially good take, all the while still only using 1 stage of Analog to Digital conversion.
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thank you for the response, I appreciate it greatly!

I am saving up money at the moment for better equipment, such as preamps and microphones, however I am trying to utilize the equipment that I have have the best I can...

The biggest reason for this question, is since I do not have a preamp (other than whats in the presonus) I was wondering if the TC would suffice, or for that matter be any good?

Also, when I do get a preamp, what will be the best way to hook things up with the presonus? (as to bypass the presonus pre's)
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
The preamps in the presonus won't be a huge step up from the TC, so the TC should suffice. If you get a preamp some time down the track, looking at the presonus, it won't bypass the preamps if you plug it into the line input, so i would suggest plugging into the "insert" instead.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search