The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Buying a new MXL mic... need updated info (not on budget thread). Mogami? V67G mod?
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
If you get the 2003A, get the package.

It says 2003 but it's a 2003A.

MXL Pro Pac Plus - Condenser Microphone Kit PRO PAC PLUS B&H

I have bought two of these from B&H and they are 2003A's in the box. See the 2003A thread for pics and other confirmation if you're still unsure.

Cheers!
Mitchell

Started driving to B&H and on the way said... maybe I better call and make sure they have them in stock... backordered til mid-Jan at the earliest.

bummmer
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericprops&fx View Post
Started driving to B&H and on the way said... maybe I better call and make sure they have them in stock... backordered til mid-Jan at the earliest.

bummmer
Get the Cr-24 Pac for $149 at GC if you have one, same mics cheaper, just w/o the cables.
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
Get the Cr-24 Pac for $149 at GC if you have one, same mics cheaper, just w/o the cables.
MXL CR-24 Black Chrome Microphone and more Condenser Microphones at GuitarCenter.com.

it doesn't say it's onsale... how do I get it at this price?
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
MXL CR-24 Black Chrome Microphone and more Condenser Microphones at GuitarCenter.com.

It should be on the website tomorrow. My local GC had the sale price in their system yesterday even though it's supposedly a New Years sale.
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord preset View Post
It should be on the website tomorrow. My local GC had the sale price in their system yesterday even though it's supposedly a New Years sale.
awesome... thanks!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Others have gone to their local GC and were able to buy them, I wasn't. Hopefully the website will have it on sale tomorrow.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord preset View Post
I think mine did too, but they were too "busy" to make a sale today.
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
The CAD M9 is an interesting mic and I really wanna get one two

It's Tube driven and OP amped balanced output like their Equitek mics (E100-E350). The tube is sourced from Russia and is an 12AX7. However, I believe a nice NOS Mullard from BOWIE would be nice in it!

For the price it's ready to compete with the TLM series from Neumann, especially after the tube swap. I feel like I'm biting recordinghacks... :/

Seriously, it is supposed to be a great mic and yea any CAD Equitek and M series mic is gonna be good. For vocals I'd give a thumbs up to the M9, but it's the other direction of the V69 ME.

Now... is it a better option then the 2003a and the V67G?

IDK, but what I do know is that I LOVE my CAD e-350's! This opamp design that CAD uses is awesome and really delivers great results.

Only reason I haven't bought an M9 is because well... I haven't needed it

Hope that helps!

Peace,
min

So Mista Min and MHS2Xs and hossman and doulos and Budget MC

you all talked me out of the V69ME Mogami and into the 2003A ... then out of that and into the CR-24 package on sale at GC for 149.

I have to say I had a pretty amazing evening using this new mic. It is so far beyond what I expected and I have just begun to get into the recording aspect of it.

My thanks to all of you. You absolutely sent me in the right direction. You guys really rock! How the hell do they sell a mic like this for $149 AND give you an extra 603S and shockmounts... and ... and...
Can't thank you guys enough.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
So Mista Min and MHS2Xs and hossman and doulos and Budget MC

you all talked me out of the V69ME Mogami and into the 2003A ... then out of that and into the CR-24 package on sale at GC for 149.

I have to say I had a pretty amazing evening using this new mic. It is so far beyond what I expected and I have just begun to get into the recording aspect of it.

My thanks to all of you. You absolutely sent me in the right direction. You guys really rock! How the hell do they sell a mic like this for $149 AND give you an extra 603S and shockmounts... and ... and...
Can't thank you guys enough.

Glad you're happy with it! I actually kinda like the 603S too... Not my favorite mic by any means, but it sounds pretty good on acoustic. I used it in spaced-pair with the 2003a on the bridge and the 603S on the 12th fret, and really liked the way it sounded.

Anyways, glad you're happy man! Congrats!
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossman777 View Post
Glad you're happy with it! I actually kinda like the 603S too... Not my favorite mic by any means, but it sounds pretty good on acoustic. I used it in spaced-pair with the 2003a on the bridge and the 603S on the 12th fret, and really liked the way it sounded.

Anyways, glad you're happy man! Congrats!
awesome... i've got a seagull 12 string with a fishman out that sounds harsh as hell... but with that configuration you just mentioned, it may sound pretty awesome. I'll give that a shot! thanks hossman!
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

The V67G and the 2003A are my two go-to LDC's at the moment (I have others but they're kind of bad.) I don't think it needs to be a one-or-the-other thing; the V67G has a slightly rounder transformer sound and happens to work much better on some voices, mine included. In fact on the right source it even sounds more "vintage expensive" than the 2003A. Both are outstanding mics for the money, and I'm thinking about getting the 67G modded this year.
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulglow View Post
The V67G and the 2003A are my two go-to LDC's at the moment (I have others but they're kind of bad.) I don't think it needs to be a one-or-the-other thing; the V67G has a slightly rounder transformer sound and happens to work much better on some voices, mine included. In fact on the right source it even sounds more "vintage expensive" than the 2003A. Both are outstanding mics for the money, and I'm thinking about getting the 67G modded this year.
B&H are selling them for 86 bucks. It's stupid not to own one and I don't own one yet but I will definately pick one up sometime this month. Especially from buying the GC pak at 149 bucks, I have the extra money to make that purchase too. I guess hte mod costs $300
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

For a super-low budget V67g mod, there's a guy on ebay advertising $60 mods for Rode mics. He has before and after clips of a modded V67g. His studio is called Minute Nine, if I recall correctly. For a deluxe mod, JJ Audio can swap in a ADK Hamburg capsule, which would really make it a lush sounding mic. I have their mod with the stock capsule and a Jensen transformer. It's pretty sweet - as in rich and beefy with a smooth high end.
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
For a super-low budget V67g mod, there's a guy on ebay advertising $60 mods for Rode mics. He has before and after clips of a modded V67g. His studio is called Minute Nine, if I recall correctly. For a deluxe mod, JJ Audio can swap in a ADK Hamburg capsule, which would really make it a lush sounding mic. I have their mod with the stock capsule and a Jensen transformer. It's pretty sweet - as in rich and beefy with a smooth high end.
I heard that the mod you really want for a 67g... to make it worth going through the trouble of modding an already decent mic... is the $300 one. I don't know if that's true or not, but I think if you are going to go through the trouble, might as well do it right. I mean, I don't know... maybe the one you know of is the way to go... maybe you can get it done even cheaper and still have a great output. Let me know what you find out about it.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossman777 View Post
I recorded my brother on acoustic a few days ago with a pair of 603S in XY over the 12th fret. I don't have it here at work but I'll see if I can post it later. Came out surprisingly decent with zero treatment.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

And the original (celebrating 2yrs in production) v67 mod can be found here.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
And the original (celebrating 2yrs in production) v67 mod can be found here.
Oh no! Alert the trolls! There goes Joly, pushing his mic mods again! The nerve of that guy! If he'd quit duping people out of their money, then they could buy their SM7b's and GAP Pre73's!

Seriously, it's good to see you back around these parts, Mr. Joly. I haven't had anything modded by you as of yet, but your posts have helped me A TON and I've done a little light modding myself, thanks to your expertise (removing headbasket mesh layers, retensioning ribbons, etc). I think the crap you've gotten from some of the trolls on this board has been completely unwarranted and unfair.

Like I said, I haven't had any work done by you yet, but I should get a decent tax refund and am seriously considering your MJE capsule/headbasket thingie for my 603S.

Probably answered already, but what's the tonal difference between the MJE, V67G and 2003a? (I have the two V67G and 2003a...just curious how the MJE would compare).

Cheers to you, Mike!
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Well thanks for the welcome hossman777 - I'm reading "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry right now so I'm down with 'hosses' ; )

To your question about the MJE-K47H / 603 combo vs. v67 mod vs. 2003a mod -

What I try to do is provide easy-to-choose upgrade paths for a variety of clients - based on what they already own, or in the case of folks looking to expand their lockers - what they want to acquire to compliment that locker. So each of the paths you mentioned provide very nice results and a great value. I've always been one to recommend folks upgrade what they already own rather than buy something new. So I'll talk about your specific locker...

Prior to the introduction of the 2003a, the v67 was probably the most cost-effective, usable and neutral-sounding mic outside of a used Oktava MK-219 or MK-319 (same capsule, same electronics but different headbaskets which gives the 219 more lower midrange push while the 319 is more "open" sounding).

The v67 can be improved by reducing some harshness it possesses - though it does have a timbre-balance is much more to my liking than the average K67-type capsule mic with its built-in 8dB boost at 8kHz. After mod, the v67 is much smoother, though it retains a bit of its "brighter than flat" timbre balance. One of the great advantages of the v67 is its transformer-coupled output which allows it to be pushed hard to achieve some transformer saturation coloration.

The 2003a on the other hand has a transformer-less output circuit and does not possess the ability to be driven hard to good effect. However, its timbre-balance really falls in line with the classic "Neumann-esque" sound and only needs some refinement to sound smoother and have less headbasket-induced coloration.

I think of the OktavaMod'd v67 as being more of a 'rock' mic with attitude while the 2003a is a bit leaner, cleaner, faster and more 'poppy'.
That's not to say you couldn't use either mic for either of those two styles of vocals - but they do lean toward their respective camps.

The MJE-K47H / 603 combo is the "biggest" sounding - its fast, has extended HF response (but not peaked HF response) and, oh did I say it, is really "big" sounding due to the interaction of the capsule and the body's polarization voltage.

So you see a recommendation from my perspective is not really possible - I love them all! Consider what you have for mics and were you want to go with them.

But like I said above - easy choice - is the key. People have enough complications in their lives without having to choose "one from column A, one from column B, one from column C etc" for every component in a mic from headbasket, to capsule, to wire type, to FET or tube, to circuit topology, to capacitor types, to resistor manufacturer to transformer type. Whew!

I may be "Neumann-esque" old school, but people trust me to deliver broadly useful sound - and spare them the hassle of sorting through options.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post

We now have added a single membrane JJ-T67 capsule to the mix.

It is a custom capsule assembled in Europe that sounds similar to the Neuman K67.

We will also be adding the JJ-T47 capsule next month.

Both capsules are 6 micron German Mylar

Check out the shootout clips Here

Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Well thanks for the welcome hossman777 - I'm reading "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry right now so I'm down with 'hosses' ; )

To your question about the MJE-K47H / 603 combo vs. v67 mod vs. 2003a mod -

What I try to do is provide easy-to-choose upgrade paths for a variety of clients - based on what they already own, or in the case of folks looking to expand their lockers - what they want to acquire to compliment that locker. So each of the paths you mentioned provide very nice results and a great value. I've always been one to recommend folks upgrade what they already own rather than buy something new. So I'll talk about your specific locker...

Prior to the introduction of the 2003a, the v67 was probably the most cost-effective, usable and neutral-sounding mic outside of a used Oktava MK-219 or MK-319 (same capsule, same electronics but different headbaskets which gives the 219 more lower midrange push while the 319 is more "open" sounding).

The v67 can be improved by reducing some harshness it possesses - though it does have a timbre-balance is much more to my liking than the average K67-type capsule mic with its built-in 8dB boost at 8kHz. After mod, the v67 is much smoother, though it retains a bit of its "brighter than flat" timbre balance. One of the great advantages of the v67 is its transformer-coupled output which allows it to be pushed hard to achieve some transformer saturation coloration.

So do we have to buy the V67G and send it to you or do you have them already done that you just sell already modded
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So do we have to buy the V67G and send it to you or do you have them already done that you just sell already modded
I'm not a RODE dealer. But folks are welcome to buy one for the best price they can find online, send it to me (usually with free shipping) and I'll take over from there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search