The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do my monitors suck? Or is it just me? Audio Interfaces
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Question Do my monitors suck? Or is it just me?

downloaded the demo of the CLA Compressor waves plugins, did a test on a rap vocal that was recorded from a blue baby bottle into a UA 710 to a m-audio profire 610. Lined up 3 tracks in pro tools, one with the raw audio, one with the bomb compressor (BF76 Compressor) that came with pro tools for free, and one with the CLA-76 waves compressor.

Did a blind AB and I could obviously tell which was the raw audio, but with about the same settings applied on the bomb factory BF76 and the CLA-76 I could not tell a difference, none what so ever.

Now, my D/A is the M-audio profire (which I have heard has decent conversion, nothing spectacular) and M-Audio BX5a monitors.

Do my monitors just suck so I can't hear the difference or is there really not that much difference?
Note: I am 17 and from what I can tell I have at least average to above average hearing

I'm about to do some more AB tests with other waves plugins vs stock plugins.

Note: Im using the waves demos not torrents

ADDED: here are the samples I compared, one is stock compressor, one is waves compressor, can you tell the difference?
Attached Files

A.wav (6.03 MB, 1195 views)

B.wav (6.02 MB, 1266 views)

Last edited by ktodac3298; 29th December 2010 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: added samples
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

i did a comparison of the two a few months back at a studio in florida and i found that there is a huge difference in the two. both are usable but do sound alot different from one another
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktodac3298 View Post
downloaded the demo of the CLA Compressor waves plugins, did a test on a rap vocal that was recorded from a blue baby bottle into a UA 710 to a m-audio profire 610. Lined up 3 tracks in pro tools, one with the raw audio, one with the bomb compressor (BF76 Compressor) that came with pro tools for free, and one with the CLA-76 waves compressor.

Did a blind AB and I could obviously tell which was the raw audio, but with about the same settings applied on the bomb factory BF76 and the CLA-76 I could not tell a difference, none what so ever.

Now, my D/A is the M-audio profire (which I have heard has decent conversion, nothing spectacular) and M-Audio BX5a monitors.

Do my monitors just suck so I can't hear the difference or is there really not that much difference?
Note: I am 17 and from what I can tell I have at least average to above average hearing

I'm about to do some more AB tests with other waves plugins vs stock plugins.

Note: Im using the waves demos not torrents
Well, converters are important also for me...i've change my interface and my monitors change drastically.

That being said, I am using Cubase(not protools user) and I find the native compressor very usable.

I would not assume that payment plugins are always much better than free or native.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Could be these.

I don't mean your ears suck, but they aren't experienced enough to be able to recognise a difference. I was buying fancy plugins and equipment long before my ears caught up with me.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post

Could be these.

I don't mean your ears suck, but they aren't experienced enough to be able to recognise a difference.
100% agree
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

The CLA 1176 Bluey is the greatest Plug comp ever(for Vocals) The BF76 does work for certain things but you should be able to hear a difference. Were you u using the CLA Black face one for comparison with the BF76?

USE THE BLUEY ON VOCALS AND YOU SHOULD
Old 29th December 2010
A good audio engineer can mix on average monitors as well as good monitors. So I would not blame youre studio monitors
Cj
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Character.ofLand View Post
The CLA 1176 Bluey is the greatest Plug comp ever(for Vocals)

I have nothing to say to this, other than

"What a load of sh t"

It's not a bad plug-in at all and hey maybe it works on vocals but you can't make any vocal ever sound great by running it through a blue-face 1176!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
Dunno why no one has done this yet for this guy...i mean it seems kinda simple...the null test...they don't null out, there's a difference i'll attach it here...like its been said, you just need to train your ears a bit more, here's what you haven't been hearing:
Attached Files
File Type: aif A+B null test.aif (2.36 MB, 136 views)
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I like the A a little more but not that much...
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

ya, I know I probably just need more experience... o well in time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianFernandez View Post
I like the A a little more but not that much...
A is the BF76

B is the CLA-76 Blackie
Old 30th December 2010
ALS
Gear Nut

keep mixing and listening for differences when adding compression and any other effect for that matter. the more you mix the easier it'll be to hear differences in sound
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

I think A sounds better
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

B has a bit more forwarding sound in the highs while A sounded a bit muffled to me ?.
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post

Could be these.

I don't mean your ears suck, but they aren't experienced enough to be able to recognise a difference. I was buying fancy plugins and equipment long before my ears caught up with me.
What company sells those? I would to to buy some
Old 1st January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaflame View Post
You laugh now, but I tell you, that's the next frontier... someday you will be able to download CLA's brain!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaflame View Post
Neumann haha...

Georg Neumann GmbH - Products/Current Microphones/KU 100/Description
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

For starters the BF76 is an amazing plugin, I use it all the time on vocals, drums, and guitars. Doesn't surprise me there isn't much difference because the BF76 is prob my main comp plugin.

You need to stop think of compressors as gain reduction device but consider them as a TONE. Different comps give different tones. The BF76 has that 1176 in ya face tone. I'm sure there are better 1176 plugins but the BF76 is pretty good and very usable.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict
Nelson had the right idea...A null test.

Granted...I'm on a laptop...(the eternal GS excuse) but what I hear in the null is spectral as well as dynamic differences.

That means that one of the plug-ins is behaving differently in relation to attack/release times as well as the slope/amount of gain reduction. In looser terms...They're grabbing the audio differently.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

YES....your monitors do suck!
THE BX5A sound horrid! You would have been better off with the ESI nEar 05 eXperience at about the same price.

I listened to your tracks and I thought B sounded more upfront and better.
I was guessing it's the CLA76.... a few posts later saw that I was right.

Kid....get better monitors and treat your room - these are the most important things when mixing.

That'll be like a great pair of ear-glasses (eye-glasses) )

Cheers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search