The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Next piece of gear to upgrade? Modular Synthesizers
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Next piece of gear to upgrade?

Mics:
c414b uls
sm7b
--->
Pre:
gap73
art pro channel
--->
interface:
mbox2
--->
monitors:
tannoy reveal 6d

-I do a lot of pop and rock tracking; mainly vocals and guitars, which i find the 414 are very good at; when the tough vocals come that the 414 aren't suitable, the shure does the job nicely so i don't really wish to get another mic unless there are some compelling reasons to do so.
-I work mostly with protools
-i am happy with my monitors, and don't plan on upgrading them soon unless there's a super sale or something on genelec's or dyna's
-so the stuff i'm looking at right now is either preamp/converter or a channel strip that does both.

i've nailed it down to 2:
ssl alpha channel
rosetta 200

i've rented the rosetta 200 to satisfying results (though not as earth breaking as i have read in some of the posts, maybe i need my ears checked haha)

but i am leaning towards the ssl because it is cheaper and basically gives me a decent preamp and a converter, haven't tried it out yet because the local stores are out of them. any comments or suggestions?

thanks sluts! happy new year!
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

anyone??
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

If you can't specifically identify an area to be improved upon you may be better off saving your money and practicing with the gear you already have. Only you know what your weak link is, so how can a random shout out from strangers be of any real use to you? Get specific.

Please note that this is the third generic "recommend an upgrade" style thread on the first page of the Low End Theory. I strongly feel that it will be more beneficial to you to ask specific questions, and then only after having read your face off in threads discussing the gear you are considering purchasing.

What have you gleaned from the other 2 similar threads? Have you done a search?
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

+1 on being more specific.

what do YOU think is the weak link in your studio? Upgrading to a Rosseta isnt going to blow your mind if youre still using the GAP, because when it comes down to do it, AD/DA dosent play a huuuugge role in your tone.
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
If you can't specifically identify an area to be improved upon you may be better off saving your money and practicing with the gear you already have. Only you know what your weak link is, so how can a random shout out from strangers be of any real use to you? Get specific.

Please note that this is the third generic "recommend an upgrade" style thread on the first page of the Low End Theory. I strongly feel that it will be more beneficial to you to ask specific questions, and then only after having read your face off in threads discussing the gear you are considering purchasing.

What have you gleaned from the other 2 similar threads? Have you done a search?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBouvrie View Post
+1 on being more specific.

what do YOU think is the weak link in your studio? Upgrading to a Rosseta isnt going to blow your mind if youre still using the GAP, because when it comes down to do it, AD/DA dosent play a huuuugge role in your tone.
thanks crisco and max. i have narrowed it down to preamp / conversion; i can get satisfactory vocals to sit nice and tight in a song, however that is only after much tweaking and effects. I don't like the sound of the recorded vocals alone without the music; i have tried different gain settings; mic positions; filters; room treatment; but simply cannot like the raw vocals i track without the music. Crisco is probably right in saying i need more practise as I have only started recently; and I was hoping that advice on purchasing the proper gear will help me improve as I know purchasing the wrong gear will sidetrack me instead.

My understanding from the threads I have read so far, is that getting a preamp will give me better results vs a converter at the same price. Which is why I am leaning towards the SSL channel; however, I want to know if these 2 pieces of gears are "keepers" or if I will have to upgrade soon down the road; as from my understanding through reading the threadssss, the rosetta has more long term usage value (ie: I will still be using it in a few years) whereas the SSL is more of a piece of equipment that can/may be replaced sooner or be left unused.

hope i was more specific here

mods please move/delete if you find redundant.

thanks again!
Old 1st January 2011

acoustic treatment? maybe a portable vocal booth?
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Anything you buy you will most likely have to upgrade down the road. I say you were doing the right thing. It doesn't matter how good a pre you have if you can't get it in and out of your computer well I would say you want the best converters possible and go from there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search