The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Noob Question on Hardware Compressors in Mixdown
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Noob Question on Hardware Compressors in Mixdown

I am trying to start using hardware in my music writing process. I have bought a RNC and want to use it to mixdown my most recent track. The music I write is electronic so I am not recording elements into my DAW and doing so through the RNC. What I am proposing to do is to take the completed tracks send them out individually to the RNC and then record them coming back in (i.e. after they have been compressed) and then I will apply VST EQ to them to complete the mix. The only problem I have with this is is that it will be very time consuming to individually compress them like this. IS there a quicker/better way?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

First of all, you haven't really defined a problem that you are having that requires you to compress all of these different tracks individually. Compression is used primarily to make a track (s) stand out in a mix. We compress the vocal somewhat harder than the rest of the tracks in order to keep it up front. We compress bass instruments in order to add size and tame those unruly frequencies. If you are just wanting to experiment with your new compressor, and see what it can do to these individual sounds, then yes, you will have to play each track into the compressor, then run the output back into your DAW with that track engaged to record. It is time consuming but it can really be worth it. You can also run your entire mix stereo out to your RNC and then back in to 2 more inputs and record the whole mix with RNC compression. Used properly the RNC can really shine on the mix bus. Have fun!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

OK - thanks for that. Was just wondering if there was a speedier way to get it done. Will go away and experiment!
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Or.......if you want to hear what your compressor is doing to/for those tracks you might try hooking it up on the front end.

That would let you twist those knobs radically while you are actually working up a sound which is a great way to learn about compression.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search