The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nickleback - Far Away kick drum sound Condenser Microphones
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Nickleback - Far Away kick drum sound

Hey guys,

Im currently in the middle of a project with my band and we're producing the track ourselves.

What im after is getting the kick drum sound from the nickleback song "Far Away' and using it in our track. What i'd like to know is how do they achieve that sound?! I understand theres a load of verb added to the whole kit, in fact most of the track is soaked in it, but theres a particular punch im after getting as well. I record in Logic Pro 9 and use a D112 on the kick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as im studying audio engineering at uni but would like to learn more in terms of production techniques too!

Thank you!
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

The Nickelback stuff has ALOT of samples on the drums.. Layers of different kicks to make one sound. Think of it in the same way that hip-hop producers make beats. They take one kick sound, layer another on top of that, etc.. You pick your fundamental sound, and then say you want more attack. Rather than eq the sound, you layer on another kick that has more attack.. Keep doing this until you are from Canada and you write songs about sex alot
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac
try setting up a LDC outside the kick drum.. or use room mic's.
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

What do you mean by LDC?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionaudio View Post
... Keep doing this until you are from Canada and you write songs about sex alot
Brilliant! heh

Cheers from Canada.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac
large diaphragm condensor
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
Yeh, its not so much a lot of verb...a lot of it has to do with room mic's and compressing those...one of the few uses i have left for my NT1a.

If you've already recorded the drums, something you could do is bounce just the drums and then go to some room and play them through speakers and setup some room mic's...not as good as getting the room mic's in the initial take...but still works to some degree...

The rest are samples with verb...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search