The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Must buy a compressor for SM7B-->pre73 on DAW? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Must buy a compressor for SM7B-->pre73 on DAW?

Hi guys,

sorry in advance for my nooby question:
Is it essential to get a compressor?

If say I work on a DAW and have a good sound card (ff400 level), can I use a plugin instead?

(I mean - probably I can, but u know...how does it reflect on quality..)

Thanks!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
Use a plugin....an outboard compressor isn't "essential" when you're recording in 24bit
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Agreed. No need for a compressor. Just make sure you are recording at 24 bit. And make sure you don't peg the meters.

Digital distortion is not the good kind.

Keep the meters between -20 and -10 during the recording and you'll be fine
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

thanks a lot guys!
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

+1 record at 24 bit. i shoot for average levels of -20 and never have peaks over -6. do not try and max out things with peaks just under 0db.

people use compressors before converters if the performance is super dynamic or if they just like the sound and want to commit to it. there is so much dynamic range at 24 bit i've never had to even consider using a compressor to limit range.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

each to their own

more and more i'm leaning towards biting the bullet and getting my sound how i want it going in... using hardware wherever possible

i tried the GAP comp 54 with the sm7b recently... i''m loving this compressor
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Fmr pbc-6a

I track about evrything with an outboard compressor, but lightly on guitars...this is just the way I do it, it can be done either way...if you did this as long as I have, you will pretty much know what sound your going after..
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersully View Post
each to their own

more and more i'm leaning towards biting the bullet and getting my sound how i want it going in... using hardware wherever possible

i tried the GAP comp 54 with the sm7b recently... i''m loving this compressor
I wanted the comp 54, but went with the fmr pbc-6a, yours is a nicer looking one for sure...im still thinking of the comp 54 to go beside my gap 73...have a great day
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsi View Post
I wanted the comp 54, but went with the fmr pbc-6a, yours is a nicer looking one for sure...im still thinking of the comp 54 to go beside my gap 73...have a great day

cool... when i got the comp 54 i was after a pbc-6a but they were out of stock so i thought i'd give the gap a shot... my next comp will be the pbc-6a

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search