The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sansamp Para Driver DI
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Sansamp Para Driver DI

Is anyone using the Sansamp Para driver DI for recording electric guitar or electric bass?

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on one of these to use for recording and I just want to hear a few people's thoughts before I order it.

I'm hoping:

1) The XLR out will give me better recording quality than the hi-z inputs on my mixer (Edirol m16dx) and my little digital 8 track.

2) The tone controls will help me to dial in some nice tones for practicing and recording. While I have a bunch of guitar gear (amps, pedals, etc), I just bought my first bass for recording and playing at home so I'm hoping this will let me avoid buying an amp - just play through headphones and my studio monitors.

I'm thinking I might also be able to use this in front of my two little guitar amps - a Roland Cube and Fender Champion 600, but that would just be a bonus if it works well.

Thanks for your input!

PS: In terms of tone, I'm mainly looking to record some Jamaican dub style stuff. My bass is a p-bass with flatwounds and my guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Jr Special.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

i sure miss my sansamp. i'm sure you will like the sound. there are other boxes and software these days, i use a 30$ groove tubes di, and add dist. and eq later, which leaves me open for more options, but the sansamp was nice...
Old 28th December 2010
You want it. Pull the trigger. Second to none on bass and very, very nice on clean guitar as well. You will not regret it.
Old 28th December 2010
I just realized you're talking about the Para driver, not the bass driver which is what I have. Check the bass driver out as well. What type of music are you doing? I do mostly pop punk stuff (I'm taking a stab that you do as well judging by your guitars) and the Sansamp rules for it. Pbasses love that thing.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Sansamp Para Driver DI

Trigger pulled. Should arrive in a couple of days. Thanks for the input! I ended up going for the Para Driver over the Bass Driver because I don't need the extra drive that the Bass Driver seems to offer and I figured the Para Driver will be a bit more flexible in terms of being able to be used for guitar and bass.

I dabble in a lot of different genres but tend to go for cleaner sounds.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
I just realized you're talking about the Para driver, not the bass driver which is what I have. Check the bass driver out as well. What type of music are you doing? I do mostly pop punk stuff (I'm taking a stab that you do as well judging by your guitars) and the Sansamp rules for it. Pbasses love that thing.
It's basically the same thing except for midrange controls.

I like these SansAmp stomp boxes. However, I prefer them as front ends to amps than as direct input devices. I get the best sounds by micing amps.
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

I just purchased on of these off of eBay last week. I hadn't had much chance to play with it until tonight. Absolutely amazing tones and flexibility. The SVT setting is uncanny and sounds great directly into my Digi 002 with my Fender Mustang bass. I used the "Money for Nothing" setting as a starting point to customize my own overdrive sound for electric guitar, and it approximates very closely my Soldano Astroverb when overdriven. Great natural compression qualities. Very killer device. I will use it extensively for recording bass guitar as well as give it a home on my pedal board to use live. The Soldano is a single channel amp, so I will use the Para Driver as a distortion box when I have the amp set for a clean tone.

Worth every penny!
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

I use the earliervesrion of the ParaDriver, the AcousticDI I think it's called... I have a couple that I bought for using with acoustic instruments live but I use them a lot in the studio too. Great for clean guitars, great for bass, synths, drums... can be good on vocals if you're wanting to mess things up a bit. Love 'em!
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

I like mine.
I also have the older acoustic para di.
I also prefer generally to mic tube guitar amps in a room, but I have found many uses for this box.
Di for bass and synths is cool.
The eq section is handy and sounds pretty good.
Helps with piezo pickups on acoustic instruments.
I used it the other day on an ancient crystal mic that was low output and high impedance.
Was able to dial in some vey cool tones.
I would like to try some of the other models someday.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Sansamp Para Driver DI

I finally got mine and love it so far. Works great as a bass and guitar DI. Surprisingly it sounds great in front of my little Champion 600 amp.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search