The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
balanced transparent tracking compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

balanced transparent tracking compressor

In general I track vox, guitars, and keys without compression and do all of my squashing ITB. But my bass could benefit from some taming on the way in, and pedal compressors aren't cutting it. Basically I'm looking for a single channel of compression that is balanced, relatively transparent, and <$250. Any suggestions?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

RNC is a great transparent comp, but can add a little distortion to bass if the attack/release is set under 12 o'clock/8 o'clock. My Symetrix 501 is a lot smoother on bass, still transparent, but even seems to keep the tone better. It may add a little noise at times, I'm not sure if that's in every unit or just mine, but often it's not enough to tell unless solo'd. Same goes for the RNC distortion, but Symetrix does not have those distortion problems at all.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

maybe i should join a forum called gear un-sluts. have you taken a look at where you are playing on the strings? what you are playing with? different picks make s big difference. where your tone controls and pickup selectors are? or swapping out a different bass?

in my experience these things change tone more then compression. btw, i do like my RNP and FMR is a good company in my dealings with them.

i don't track anything with compression. i never know how things will work out in the mix and maybe i'm afraid to commit.

by taming do you mean it's wildly dynamic or is the high end on attacks to much? the player controls dynamics a lot...also where you play the strings can control dynamics. not a bass player here...but i've certainly heard this stuff when i've recorded.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cporro View Post
maybe i should join a forum called gear un-sluts. have you taken a look at where you are playing on the strings? what you are playing with? different picks make s big difference. where your tone controls and pickup selectors are? or swapping out a different bass?

in my experience these things change tone more then compression. btw, i do like my RNP and FMR is a good company in my dealings with them.

i don't track anything with compression. i never know how things will work out in the mix and maybe i'm afraid to commit.

by taming do you mean it's wildly dynamic or is the high end on attacks to much? the player controls dynamics a lot...also where you play the strings can control dynamics. not a bass player here...but i've certainly heard this stuff when i've recorded.
Compressing bass guitar is very common, if not a constant practice across the board.

The tone of the instrument has not been brought up prior to your post. I believe that the OP is talking about taming peaks while tracking, which is also a very common technique.

Being un-slutty is not a problem, btw . I'm pretty un-slutty myself.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
Compressing bass guitar is very common, if not a constant practice across the board.
true true.

i was just taken back to some earlier times where i thought i needed a compressor but i really needed those other things. :D oh, then i got the compressor and guess what? problem unsolved!

hard to tell where someone is in their recording evolution without hearing things.

you un-slutty? for shame!
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks for the replies. By taming I do mean peaks.

The FMR comps look good. However, they are unbalanced IIRC, and I have read a lot about distortion on bass with quick release times, even on FMR's Website.

I've been interested in the Symetrix 501 but wasn't sure how transparent it is. People seem to like it for more extreme compression, which is appealing as well.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethD View Post
In general I track vox, guitars, and keys without compression and do all of my squashing ITB. But my bass could benefit from some taming on the way in, and pedal compressors aren't cutting it. Basically I'm looking for a single channel of compression that is balanced, relatively transparent, and <$250. Any suggestions?
Look for a used Aphex 651/661. You should be able to find one on your budget. Waaaaay ahead of the cheap alternatives. Totally pro, and highly under-rated.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I will side with the FMR, it's ultra clean in super nice mode...cheap too, can get a new one off ebay with 'make offer' for around $160 shipped....
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. By taming I do mean peaks.

The FMR comps look good. However, they are unbalanced IIRC, and I have read a lot about distortion on bass with quick release times, even on FMR's Website.
isn't distortion with quick release a universal thing? i mean if the knee is hard, the compression great and the release fast you'd expect that. no?

don't know what IIRC is but i think the RNP has both unbalanced and balanced inputs. from what i know about balanced cables you are just talking about lower noise and longer runs. but for a short run from a bass i don't get the advantage.

not selling the RNP here. just saying. [/QUOTE]
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cporro View Post
isn't distortion with quick release a universal thing? i mean if the knee is hard, the compression great and the release fast you'd expect that. no?

don't know what IIRC is but i think the RNP has both unbalanced and balanced inputs. from what i know about balanced cables you are just talking about lower noise and longer runs. but for a short run from a bass i don't get the advantage.

not selling the RNP here. just saying.
[/QUOTE]

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly. According to FMR's Website the RNC is unbalanced.
FMR Audio RNC FAQ
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I have 4 channels of RNC. They are great for everything. except bass instruments. I didn't realize this until I used another compressor. Think DBX 160.. Much more suited for bass
Old 28th December 2010
DBX 166 (or equivalent), Behringer MDX 2200 (or equivalent) ... all can be had for low $$ on ePrey.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly. According to FMR's Website the RNC is unbalanced.
FMR Audio RNC FAQ
ha! hard to argue with the website. i was totally off. was thinking of my RNP! so many "nice" things.

but i still don't see how being unbalanced is a problem. if your preamp is balanced shouldn't all the noise be canceled by the time it hits your RNC? if not, where does this noise cancellation occur? cable length to the RNC should be super short.

not saying another preamp might not work better. just saying i don't see this as a deciding factor.

anyone who knows this well want to chime in?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Look for a used Aphex 651/661. You should be able to find one on your budget. Waaaaay ahead of the cheap alternatives. Totally pro, and highly under-rated.
Thanks for this recommendation. Sounds like an Aphex is going to be the ticket.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

yeah - the 651 is not going to be bested by anything near affordable.

lookie here - Aphex 651
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

i would check out the vla II. i know i suggest this alot but i like it so much i just ordered a second vla II for my home studio. can't wait to get it hooked up. you can get them for $250 on ebay with free shipping. it is a b-stock(manufacturer refurbish), but still basically new. it's also transparent and you get 2 channels instead of one.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for this recommendation. Sounds like an Aphex is going to be the ticket.
thumbsupthumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeng View Post
yeah - the 651 is not going to be bested by anything near affordable.
Agreed. I can't imagine Seth will not be thrilled with it based on his aforementioed requirements.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

I like my ART PRO VLA

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search