The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheap DAW Software for my needs DAW Software
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Cheap DAW Software for my needs

Hi all. So here's the deal. I am looking for a cheap piece software for portable mixing purposes. I'm not looking for something to record into, I use something else for that. What I am looking for is a program that can run on a Windows XP OS on a laptop, can run multiple VST plugins per track, can support a minimum of 16 active tracks plus master, and doesn't need hardware to run it. Basically looking for a portable mixing solution that won't break the bank. I come from a Pro Tools background, but am also comfortable with Sonar. I am thinking of purchasing Sonar because it does what I need, but just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for any cheaper software that can fulfill my needs. Yes I know about Reaper but I'm not a fan of it. Thanks!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'd get Ardour. It's free and really good!

Or $70 will get you Harrison MixBus which is also good, and emulates a range of EXCELLENT analogue consoles fully. The only thing is it does AU plugins not VST.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Reaper, can even get a PT inspired theme if it makes it more comfortable, i think its the bomb. REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
+20 for Reaper! You don't even have to pay for it unless you're a moral person...
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac_Sound View Post
anyone has any suggestions for any cheaper software that can fulfill my needs. Yes I know about Reaper but I'm not a fan of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunk79 View Post
Reaper, can even get a PT inspired theme if it makes it more comfortable, i think its the bomb. REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits
Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
+20 for Reaper! You don't even have to pay for it unless you're a moral person...
Is there any chance that one day we might get a thread where people read the question before posting "You need to buy Reaper / SM7 / GAP73 / Better Converters / Acoustic Treatment"? I have my doubts.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
Is there any chance that one day we might get a thread where people read the question before posting "You need to buy Reaper / SM7 / GAP73 / Better Converters / Acoustic Treatment"? I have my doubts.
Haha yeh....i don't think many people read the last sentence. I'm not really sure, Reaper would be the obvious suggestion, but as OPs already started he's not really a big fan, some other cheaper DAWs that come to mind are like Cubase Essentials 5, Ableton Live Intro. I don't use either of these though so i can't comment any further on that, i've used Ableton Lite and Cubase Studio 5.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

R-E-A-P-E-R!!!!!!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

[whisper]read the bloody OP people[/whisper]
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

ANOTHER Reaper fanboy here. You can at least try it before you buy it. If you don't like, no money lost. The forum is excellent and there is good documentation available. The manual (a .pdf download) is good and free.

http://www.fm.reaper

And I like the idea of a SM7 and a COWBELL. They you got a hit! Someone left out the cowbell part.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

Mackie Tracktion 2...
30$ download at Macie.
No track limits....
Deadend though, no development, but cheap and functional.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd get Ardour. It's free and really good!

Or $70 will get you Harrison MixBus which is also good, and emulates a range of EXCELLENT analogue consoles fully. The only thing is it does AU plugins not VST.
Quote:
I sincerely hope you follow your own advise in the future. The OP clearly said he is on WINDOWS XP. That renders Ardour unuseable.

Just for thought wise guy!

For the OP, I think if you don't like reaper, there will be not so much DAWs out there which fit your needs (price point).

Why not give it another try. It's really your best and most affordable option out there.

Cheers good luck

edit: just had a look at n-track, which seems to be really nice for its price.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Get to like Reaper.
Old 28th December 2010
+1 for Tracktion - although i eventually switched to Reaper and ProTools, Tracktion is superb...
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

tracktion is fun, wicked easy, and very fast. everything is laid right out and very accessible.
after owning and using several daw's: cubase, PT, tracktion, ardour, reaper and logic, the clear conclusion to me was:
they're very similar. the mixes at unity were basically indistinguishable from each other, each had some cool points and each had some weaknesses. it seems to me that whichever one someone is significantly more used to is the one they prefer, which makes sense. like the mouse vs trackpad thing. i started on the trackpad, it's what i am used to. mice seem slow and clumsy to me. i understand, of course, that you grew up doing it the other way, and it's easier for you.
point is, whatever you choose will get you where you need to go. it's all the same in the end, don't fear the reaper, it really is totally fine, after a small adjustment period. and for the price, it's hard to find something that really keeps up.
i seem to think that's why all those folks posted what they did, not out of neglect of reading that last sentence, but because of it, to try to keep an open mind about it.
good luck!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla View Post
R-E-A-P-E-R!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djemberecords View Post
ANOTHER Reaper fanboy here. You can at least try it before you buy it. If you don't like, no money lost. The forum is excellent and there is good documentation available. The manual (a .pdf download) is good and free.

http://www.fm.reaper
Obviously no is the answer to my question.

Don't worry, this is not this-thread specific. It's the finite problem with the Low End board. It was once about finding cheap solutions to expensive problems, it is now about the same question being asked over and over again and being given the same answer over and over again; then when a different question pops up, everyone gives it the stock answer anyway.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoelger View Post
I sincerely hope you follow your own advise in the future. The OP clearly said he is on WINDOWS XP. That renders Ardour unuseable.

Just for thought wise guy!
We have it running fine on Linux which will either sit happily on a separate boot drive (<$100) or using VMWare Workstation (virtual machine in windows). There are plenty of good reasons other than this to work in a mixing environment not dominated by a 'user friendly' OS, because in being 'user friendly' they often run a sizeable amount of background programs to eat CPU, and will try and stop you doing things you want to do for no good reason.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you have problems with Reaper, try this instead

MultitrackStudio - Audio/MIDI Multitrack Recording Software

I'm a Reaper fan but I've heard that one does the job too.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
We have it running fine on Linux which will either sit happily on a separate boot drive (<$100) or using VMWare Workstation (virtual machine in windows). There are plenty of good reasons other than this to work in a mixing environment not dominated by a 'user friendly' OS, because in being 'user friendly' they often run a sizeable amount of background programs to eat CPU, and will try and stop you doing things you want to do for no good reason.
Perhaps it's just me, but I certainly wouldn't want to bother with linux (which still has a very high learning curve IMO) just to be able to mix. For me the time spent installing and getting everything working just right wouldn't be worth the extra money for a proper WINDOWS setup.

However, you were right, and I was the fool attacking you - "wise guy".

My excuses...

Also I'm not hanging around much on the Low End forum. So I didn't know this reaper thing is so much of an issue. And it is BTW. Did some searches
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoelger View Post
Perhaps it's just me, but I certainly wouldn't want to bother with linux (which still has a very high learning curve IMO) just to be able to mix. For me the time spent installing and getting everything working just right wouldn't be worth the extra money for a proper WINDOWS setup.

However, you were right, and I was the fool attacking you - "wise guy".

My excuses...

Also I'm not hanging around much on the Low End forum. So I didn't know this reaper thing is so much of an issue. And it is BTW. Did some searches
I think it is. Have you used Linux to run a DAW?
Old 29th December 2010
soulstudios
Quote:
Originally Posted by drloop View Post
Mackie Tracktion 2...
30$ download at Macie.
No track limits....
Deadend though, no development, but cheap and functional.

I think the Ultimate bundle of Tracktion 3 is $19 at musician's friend at the moment.
*checks*
Nope, it's the project bundle, but it's $5 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
through amazon:

Amazon.com: Mackie Tracktion 3 Project Bundle: Musical Instruments
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it is. Have you used Linux to run a DAW?
actually not, but I have tried to use it for common duties, but I gave up on it. Too much of a hassle if your used to Windows/OSX. And not worth the time IMO.

Cheers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search