The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording drums with (just) two microphones Condenser Microphones
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear

Three MICS ---- AKG 3600 on the Kick --- U89 on Omni -- and AKG 300b pencil on the snare/hat
Attached Thumbnails
Recording drums with (just) two microphones-3-20mic-20setup.jpg   Recording drums with (just) two microphones-_mg_9114.jpg   Recording drums with (just) two microphones-_mg_9109.jpg  
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear

I'd put one on the kick and one overhead to capture the snare/hihat especially. I'm planning to try this out myself soon for a classic funk sound.
Old 28th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
this is totally confusing
if you are using samples etc, what do you need any mics for?

the ongoing epic battle between mixing drums "drummers' perspective" and mixing drums "audience perspective" has been raging for decades. With untold casualties and devastation, no doubt. I mix drums "audience perspective" but of a Left-Handed Drummer (ha!) so the ride cymbal is back on the right!

In other words, it's a tempest in a teapot. Few things matter less.

how wide you pan your drums is your choice. In the 70's the toms went from the left speaker all the way across to the right speaker. And if it was Neil Peart, around from left to right again. Today that is considered 'corny'. But no law says you must be 'realistic' when mixing.

YOU are behind the drums. Are you making music just for yourself to listen to? For other drummers to listen to? For people who want to imagine themselves to be drummers to listen to? Or for everybody in the world to listen to?

no it would not be wide. It would be the opposite of wide. It's one mic. If you record stereo with two mics, you can pan them to mono if you want, or bring them in, to taste. Full wide, to extremely narrow or any place in-between.
But if you record with one mic, you have no such options.

though they will give you stereo, two mics overhead often are lacking in punch from the kick drum. I have recorded drums with two mics in some situations. I usually go for kick and mono overhead. To me covering the musical elements of the set - high stuff and low stuff - is more important than covering the spatial elements of the set - right stuff and left stuff.

do a search here on GS for "underheads". This is where you place two mics in front of the drums and about belt high - though there are many variations. This gets some kick back in the picture and still gives you stereo. Which as I said earlier, you can choose to exploit to whatever degree sounds best to you by just pulling them in or panning them wide.

all those funny little folds in the pinna of your ear are for directing sound from many different directions into your eardrum. You hear much more than the 'perpendicular'! Make your mixing decisions on what sounds best in the context of your mix and not on what you think you know about what is happening in "reality" or with your room or with your ears.

Mixing does not have to reflect reality in any way.

Joeq,
I really like you.
Everything you have ever posted is either very humorous, kind or helpful.

Thanks for the great attitude you keep bringing! You and guys like you make GS much better!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search