The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are SCA T15's a significant upgrade from Octane preamps? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

Are SCA T15's a significant upgrade from Octane preamps?

I already have an SCA chassis and power supply for my two A12's (which are great), but when I'm recording drums or tracking anything with more than two mics, I'm forced to use the stock preamps on my Profire 2626. So what I would like to know is, how much better are the T15's than my Profire's pre's? Are they "$90 and a couple hours of soldering, per channel" better?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Bueller?
Old 29th December 2010

try one and see
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

If you want to buy and build it for me, I'd be more than happy to.

Anyone have better advice than Captain Obvious?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Black View Post
Anyone have better advice than Captain Obvious?
Ha ha! That's funny!

I'm curious to know too. I'm planning on purchasing a Profire 2626 in the spring, and want to build out 8 channels of SCA shortly after I buy the 2626.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

If you just pop in t15 and do a search you'll find that the t15 gets some definite praise as being a much better pre than the onboard pre's in most prosumer interfaces. It's said to be very quiet, clean, and with plenty of headroom. Some were even comparing it to the DAV BG-1.

I'm looking to get into the SCA stuff and this will be the first pre I build to get my feet wet before jumping into the more complex transformer based pre's. $399 plus shipping to get into the SCA stuff is pretty reasonable, IMO.

Theo
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

One thing I will add, though, is that the Octane pre's are actually pretty decent. There is certain M-Audio gear that I don't like, but I will say that the Octane and the DMP3 are quality pre's (I believe they are the same, but I might be mistaken).

So, based on the description of the t15, they might be pretty comparable.

Theo
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

T15s are great. check this out if you want to see how they hold up to your A12s:

Seventh Circle Audio :: View topic - T15 & A12 (sound samples included)
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Desktop View Post
I will say that the Octane and the DMP3 are quality pre's (I believe they are the same, but I might be mistaken).

So, based on the description of the t15, they might be pretty comparable.

Theo
My understanding is that the Octane is more closely related to the Audio Buddy preamp. It offers decidedly less gain than the DMP3 (but they have a familial resemblance, sound-wise).
Old 21st July 2012
Gear Maniac

Did you end up getting the t15's? Im thinking of upgrading from 2626 pre's to a bunch of the t15's.

Thanks,

Trevor Jones
Old 22nd July 2012
Gear Addict

I don't have the SCA, but I have the 2626 and I can tell you that there is quite a lot of room for improvement. I've upgraded to more specialized pre's and conversion, and I just use the 2626 to lightpipe it all in and out of the computer. I love the 2626's software mixer, so for now it stays in my workflow. I bet that the difference between the Profire's pre and the SCA will be very noticeable to you, and you'll be very happy with it. SCA has a great reputation.
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

I have a T15 and am in Milwaukee. If you ever get up this way, I would lend it to you for a week or so for you to check out. (or, if you wanted to pay shipping both ways, I would ship it to you.)

If you have ever used an FMR RNP and liked it, I think you would like the T15. For me the C84 was a bit clearer/cleaner/more detailed. But the T15 gets her done.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search