The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Free Mic day from a disgruntled Best Buy customer! Condenser Microphones
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Free Mic day from a disgruntled Best Buy customer!

Today I went in Best Buy and was exchanging some cds and the man in front of me was trying to get a refund for a microphone with no receipt...I didn't hear much but by the body language I could tell they weren't going to let him...finally he storms off and leaves the mic behind (intentionally).

I asked the cashier what the deal was and the guy admitted he had been using it for a year and it doesn't work with some new piece of gear he'd gotten, and the man got impatient when he wasn't going to allow a refund immediately without trying to find a record of the sale in the system.

I asked if I could have it and he handed it over with no hesitation.

So it ain't a Neumann but a free mic is pretty cool!!!...it works...

It's a Samson CO1 condenser that I'm going to give to my friend for an xmas present since he only has an SM57.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

lol. Free stuff is free stuff.

Way to be in the right place at the right time.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chout View Post
Today I went in Best Buy and was exchanging some cds and the man in front of me was trying to get a refund for a microphone with no receipt...I didn't hear much but by the body language I could tell they weren't going to let him...finally he storms off and leaves the mic behind (intentionally).

I asked the cashier what the deal was and the guy admitted he had been using it for a year and it doesn't work with some new piece of gear he'd gotten, and the man got impatient when he wasn't going to allow a refund immediately without trying to find a record of the sale in the system.

I asked if I could have it and he handed it over with no hesitation.

So it ain't a Neumann but a free mic is pretty cool!!!...it works...

It's a Samson CO1 condenser that I'm going to give to my friend for an xmas present since he only has an SM57.
Awesome. I'm sure your friend will appreciate it. I know I did when someone gave me gear, no matter what the condition. So how's it been going dude? You liking the 2003A's I hope?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
Awesome. I'm sure your friend will appreciate it. I know I did when someone gave me gear, no matter what the condition. So how's it been going dude? You liking the 2003A's I hope?
Oh yes, of course. Things are well...haven't been recording many bands lately...did a hip hop group that didn't require much gear usage.

I do feel like it was the right place at the right time...I mean, if it was an Ipod accessory or some other tech gadget, I may have not any use for it.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh yes, of course. Things are well...haven't been recording many bands lately...did a hip hop group that didn't require much gear usage.

I do feel like it was the right place at the right time...I mean, if it was an Ipod accessory or some other tech gadget, I may have not any use for it.
I hear ya. I've got some new mics myself, got two of the Stellar CM-6's that caused several threads here to be shut down due to...I don't know...people getting in a pissing contest I guess. I like em... Anyway, just finished my first mod. Put a Lundahl 2913 in an MXL R144. Don't know if I like it though. It's definitely clearer and more defined, but some of the freq's I'm hearing now bug me. But that was just a quick recording of my drum kit with no thought to placement. I may leave the other one stock for awhile and see if I like the mod after a while. Anyway, glad you're doing good. I have a Zoom H4n for those "hey, got a multitrack recorder in your pocket?" moments....lol.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
I hear ya. I've got some new mics myself, got two of the Stellar CM-6's that caused several threads here to be shut down due to...I don't know...people getting in a pissing contest I guess. I like em... Anyway, just finished my first mod. Put a Lundahl 2913 in an MXL R144. Don't know if I like it though. It's definitely clearer and more defined, but some of the freq's I'm hearing now bug me. But that was just a quick recording of my drum kit with no thought to placement. I may leave the other one stock for awhile and see if I like the mod after a while. Anyway, glad you're doing good. I have a Zoom H4n for those "hey, got a multitrack recorder in your pocket?" moments....lol.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Nice...I'll have to look into those Stellar mics...I love my apex 205 even more since I added the lundahl haven't tried an mxl ribbon yet...I have a fathead I may do up soon too.
I want one of those pocket recorders, but I just got another bass amp, so maybe I better wait (i've been very slutty lately...)
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice...I'll have to look into those Stellar mics...I love my apex 205 even more since I added the lundahl haven't tried an mxl ribbon yet...I have a fathead I may do up soon too.
I want one of those pocket recorders, but I just got another bass amp, so maybe I better wait (i've been very slutty lately...)
Meee Toooo...Later dude.....GO SAINTS!
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Meee Toooo...Later dude.....GO SAINTS!
Beyond slutty actually, I got a bass head at a pawn shop for a fair deal, but decided I liked it enough to get the higher wattage version, and have that on the way now...not to mention filling my Seventh Circle rack with 4 N72s and 4 A12s....thumbsupthumbsup
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Ahhh! the Samson CO1 mic. That was my first "Real" condenser for me when I started recording.

Always impressed the people not in the know, I,d always laugh when people were like " OHHH Be careful!!! Looks expensive!!!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search