The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's the best telescoping boom stand I can get for $100 Audio Interfaces
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

What's the best telescoping boom stand I can get for $100

It seems the mic stand market is flooded with low priced crap. So I'm hoping to find the pearls.

I need a boom stand, that's sold and reliable, and can let me put a condensor or sm7 in somebodies face, preferably with a little distance away from them.

Is there anything that suits this need for around $100?

I can't bring myself to buy another 'on stage stand'. i've got two of them falling apart as we speak

Edit: I should say I'm looking for a stand + boom arm combo
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

MF recently ran a SDotD for DR Pro boom stands for $19.95 (regularly $60). On an impulse I bought two and have been pleased. Not Atlas-level durability but it appears they will last awhile. I wouldn't pay $60 each but if they come up again at $19.95 (which I've noticed MF often does) I'm in for several more. :D Something to file away if you aren't pressed with an immediate need.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
MF recently ran a SDotD for DR Pro boom stands for $19.95 (regularly $60). On an impulse I bought two and have been pleased. Not Atlas-level durability but it appears they will last awhile. I wouldn't pay $60 each but if they come up again at $19.95 (which I've noticed MF often does) I'm in for several more. :D Something to file away if you aren't pressed with an immediate need.
Unfortunately I need to buy soon as in this week. The two big stands I have are literally falling apart each time I use them. And I got a possible session this weekend
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Anybody used this one?

QuikLok A-50AM - Tripod Studio Boom Stand A-50AM B&H Photo Video

...as a side note, bh often beats sweetwater & musician friends on some items. I ordered my audiofire 8 from them for $80 less than anybody else...
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

the K & M's are pretty good..
I prefer the Atlas MS25 with a K&M..
Old 27th December 2010
you say you can't bear to buy another On Stage stand, but actually the Studio Booms are really not bad. I've had 4 for about 10 years here
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
you say you can't bear to buy another On Stage stand, but actually the Studio Booms are really not bad. I've had 4 for about 10 years here
Which model?
Old 27th December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
the K & M's are pretty good..
I prefer the Atlas MS25 with a K&M..
K & M here as well
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

What about ultimate support? Something like this Ultimate Support Pro-T-T | Sweetwater.com

I've been happy with my ultimate support stands. I agree the on-stage stuff is complete crap. I have one of the on-stage stands and it's about to go in the trash.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvmi View Post
What about ultimate support? Something like this Ultimate Support Pro-T-T | Sweetwater.com

I've been happy with my ultimate support stands. I agree the on-stage stuff is complete crap. I have one of the on-stage stands and it's about to go in the trash.
I looked at them, but have no idea if they are any good. I figured 'ultimate support' was just another knockoff brand. Am I mistaken?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I wound up ordering two K&M 210/70 stands. I'll see how they do, though I suspect I might want something a little bigger
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
I wound up ordering two K&M 210/70 stands. I'll see how they do, though I suspect I might want something a little bigger
Then I would get a MS 25 Atlas W/K&M boom..Then upgrade boom IF needed..
The problem I have with MOST booms is the SO CALLED counter weight...
I made some REAL counter weights a while back, 6-7 pounds..put them on the K & M and Atlas booms...NO problems anymore...

IM building some serious boom arms...most of those are crap...IMHO...
Old 28th December 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
It's actually a pretty neat stand, overall I have to say Quiklok in fact seem to be having major issues with their larger stands being broken right out of the box. A lot of the issue appears to be packing materials (or lack of) used and stuff snapping in transit, but still a broken stand is a broken stand.

War
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've had RMV stands here in my studio for the last 15 years, with no problems whatsoever.... it's a brazilian brand so i am not sure it's easy to find elsewhere, but they are cheap and work just fine. check their site
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well, I think I've covered my bases for now. Got two of the K&M's on the way, as well as 2 Atlas Sound PB21X boom arms and MS-10C stands to mount them on....and got some mogami cables while I was at it
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
The stands i've been the most happy with are K&M, Hercules and Tama
Old 28th December 2010

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search