The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU Ultralite-mk3 hybrid vs. MOTU microbook
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

MOTU Ultralite-mk3 hybrid vs. MOTU microbook

Hello dear, generous, helpful people. Hope many of you are enjoying a snowday as I am!

I'm trying to decide between the MOTU Ultralite-mk3 hybrid and the MOTU Microbook. I'm going to be using my choice primarily for live Ableton performance and realtime processing (software based) of sound from a mic/instruments simultaneously. Not recording so much. But I had a few questions...

1. I've read that the Ultralite-mk3's's latency performance is better than that of the Microbook's. Do you think the difference is significant enough to impact use in live performance and effects processing?

2. The Microbook has a 1/8" stereo out (which is convenient for me) as well as the standard 2 x 1/4" L&R channel outs, but the Ultralite only has the latter. Would a simple $5 adapter do the trick in getting the Ultralite's output to a single, 1/8" stereo line, or am I misunderstanding how this works somehow?

3. I'm thinking about getting a MBP but currently have a PC. I know MOTU isn't known for great PC drivers, but my impression is that they've gotten better as of late. Is either of these units known to play nicer with PCs?

Thanks for any help in advance! I have to admit that the price-tag, streamlined design, and "not too many features I won't use" aspect of the Microbook is appealing to me. But if latency is a problem, that could be a deal breaker.
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Additionally, the one other unit I'm considering is the M-audio Fast Track Ultra. So if anyone is able to comment on that in regards to my above concerns as well, I would truly appreciate it!
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Sorry, one more bumped update.

I've eliminated the Microbook from contention.

So now it's the Motu Ultralite-mk3 hybrid ($529) or the M-audio Fast Track Ultra ($285) with the same qualifications in place. Is the price difference worth it?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I upgraded to the ultralite mkIII hybrid from the M-audio ultra...The difference is night and day. The converters are better and the extra i/o's make life alot easier. The only thing I dont like about the Motu is that the master knob and the headphone knob are the same knob(you have to click it so switch functions).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search