The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice needed on live shoegaze reverby soft vocals....
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Advice needed on live shoegaze reverby soft vocals....

I guess it's all there in the title really, but we need some reverby live advice.
Any hints/tips on getting a warm, soft, floaty live vocal sound? It needs to be in the MBV/Slowdive/M83 range. We're not trying to 'hide' behind the reverb here, it's just part of the sound we're going for ... and we want this kind of sound without muddying things up too much. I know the way these bands record vocals can be very different to how they come across live, so it's the live issue I'd prefer to concentrate on in this thread please!
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

a lot of it has to do with how you sing. i use a ehx holy grail on my vox. works very nicely.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
Maybe a sennheiser 441 for the vocal mic. Probably the most detailed sounding dynamic there is but still warm. You can turn it up loud because it doesn't pick up much noise from anything that's not right in front of it, so it won't cause as many feedback issues as most other mics. I would think that being able to sing without pushing because you have a lot of volume on the mic, combined with the right reverb, would get you in the ballpark.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadden View Post
a lot of it has to do with how you sing. i use a ehx holy grail on my vox. works very nicely.
+1000000.. It is almost entirely up to how you sing.. What processor do you use live? I use the Digitech vocalist 300 with delay and reverb and it is something that I have used for years.. When someone else sings into my mic, it tends to sound like crap. I just change my voice to suit what is in my head..
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

if the eq on the vocal is correct for the singer but you find the reverb muddies up the mix... consider eq'ing the reverb. you probably don't need to strong reverberate the 200-500 range, and to help with sibilance you might notch out some upper mids? I don't know, but mud is more of an eq thing not a reverb selection thing (unless you pick really dark muddy reverbs, even then the top end might work, you just need to tailor the bottom)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search