The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor + Audio interface Audio Interfaces
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Monitor + Audio interface

Hello, im new here but im reading this forum for like 1 month now.

I love producing music, specially electronic music like trance.

I want to make a bigger step in my productions, so i want to get monitors and audio interface.

The big problem is, im studying right now far away from any main-city.

The only near city where i can check out some monitors is 5hours away, and there they have very poor equipment, not what im searching for.

After searching a lot here, im pretty sure this is what im looking for:

Adam a7x
Adam a5x
Yamaha HS80M

I cant listen to them, its really imposible, so i need some advice.

I know the yamahas are the worst, i now also the a5x are very clear with waker low end, and the a7x are the best of this bundle.

if someone could tell me if the differnce between them is so big.

the other thing is audio interface, im not sure what to buy.

I prefer usb, i have no pci slot, and i have no experience with firewire.

I use win7 64bit.

So, i found this in my research:

NI Audio Kontrol 1
Steinberg CI2
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Lexicon i-onix 22

I only need good sound quality, and perhaps a mic slot. I dont use anything more right now and dont plan to add anything in the future.

Another question, i searched something about hardware and software free latency monitoring, i didnt find any answer. what is booth? do i need that?

Thank you a lot, and sorry for wasting your time with that noobie questions.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

The difference between the ADAM's and the Yamaha's is big enough that I would go for the ADAMS.. With the type of music that you are doing, I would suggest getting the A7's with the plan of adding a sub later when you have the cash.. I am no help whatsoever with your software question.. sorry
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have an ak1 and i recently got a tc konnekt 6. Hands down the k6 is a much better interface. I had a few probs with my ak1 which lead me to get the k6. I searched around for something that had as good or better converters and preamps and was multiclient and the k6 fit the bill. It's a lot more open and detailed than the ak1 with good stereo imaging. The pres are nice and clean as well. No midi on it though. Oh yeah the k6 can be used as a standalone preamp and also comes with a nice dsp reverb you can use on your vocals.

TC Electronic | Desktop Konnekt 6

People say the tc drivers are really unstable but once i installed the legacy driver (all the infos on the tc forums) it's been pretty solid and my laptop has a ricoh firewire chipset which it is not even supposed to work with!

Another maker you can't go wrong is Focusrite. There's the saffire 6 usb and Pro 14 which is firewire. Saffire PRO 14 Audio Interfaces 8 IN / 6 OUT FIREWIRE AUDIO INTERFACE FEATURING TWO FOCUSRITE MIC PREAMPS
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

thank you guys. ill try to go one day to town and try out the adams myself.

im really still unshure about the audio interface.

I like the i-onix 22 from lexicon, specially because it looks very nice, stupid reason i know, but i have no experiences with audio interfaces so im not sure.

I heard the emo 0404 is great but i taked a look at the drivers and they dont support w7 64.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

for the type of music you said. IMO Adam a5x or A3X with sub it will fit you.
a friend of mine is doing electronic and have good to excellent results with blueSky 2.1 exo. i listen them in 2 different environments, i've listen products worked on them and i could say it's a good choice. or Bluesky mediadesk a little bit more expensive but a little better AND later can upgrade this 2.1 to 5.1.
if you don't want/can't sub... eh... for electronic.. uhm... let's say A7X/A8X or focal CMS65 WITH a pair of GOOD cans.
Actually good cans will help you anyway. let's say, just for my taste, SRH840.
but akg, sehn, beyer, sony, AT... a lot of choices.

But i repeat what ppl say: it's WAAAYYY better to listen them before....
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeformed View Post
thank you guys. ill try to go one day to town and try out the adams myself.

im really still unshure about the audio interface.

I like the i-onix 22 from lexicon, specially because it looks very nice, stupid reason i know, but i have no experiences with audio interfaces so im not sure.

I heard the emo 0404 is great but i taked a look at the drivers and they dont support w7 64.
Looks are superficial, what matters is good quality converters and preamps! tutt

Does look nice though. They recently released 64bit drivers for the tc konnekt series, don't know about focusrite. Another interface maybe worth looking at is the motu microbook. MOTU.com - MicroBook Overview

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search