The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Home recording studio - For R&B & Hip-Hop vocals ?? Audio Interfaces
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
On a side note....i wouldn't advise recording with 2 microphones at once for your voice...i mean no one's stopping you...but you're opening yourself up to a whole world of phase issues and the fact that you won't be able to get either mic in an optimal position...
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

thanks

Thanks Nelson,

Thanks a ton for that info. I didn't know I could get an interface and preamp all in one. Ok this is what I've got in my cart:

hxxp://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Audio-Technica-AT2020-Large-Diaphragm-Condenser-Microphone?sku=270620

hxxp://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-ProFire-610-FireWire-Recording-Interface?sku=247046

hxxp://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/KRK-Rokit-Powered-5-Generation-2-Powered-Studio-Monitor-Each?sku=482825

hxxp://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Audio-Technica-ATHM45-Studio-Monitor-Headphones?sku=241606

AND I'm still thinking about getting this:
hxxp://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Antares-AVP-Vocal-Producer?sku=707156

BUT I've been told, plugins for my Acid Pro 7 will do just as good, if not better. So should I just buy the plugins, and learn how to use them? Instead of spending $400 on hardware? I thought the hardware would be easier, but now I'm thinking twice.

IF I do buy it, will it work with my interface above?

Ok, but aside from the antares product, Do I need any cables that aren't included for all the other stuff? I've looked, and read over the description and specs, but there's so many details, I'm lost really.

Thanks again!!

Nicky
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

OK I will let all of you GS know of the best Vocal Tube mic in the market under $400. If you want that huge in your face smooth natural sounding vocal hurry and get yourself a Stellar CM-6 Tube mic. They are flying off the shelve. I have one myself i been tracking with it for the past 2 weeks, that mike can be described in one word UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Stellar have them on sale on eBay hurry why and get one while the price is still low. I have reason to believe the price may go up once the manufacture realize how great of a mic it is for the low price of $350.

My vocal chain is
Stellar CM-6
GAP Pre73
RME AD/DA
Nuendo 4.3
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

mic

Thanks man. I just bought the AT2020 , but I might check out the stellar mic too since I have some dough left over.

I bought the stuff I had in my mf cart, and some extras.

I did NOT get the antares avp unit, as I'm just going to get some plugins for my Acid pro instead.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhook View Post
Thanks man. I just bought the AT2020 , but I might check out the stellar mic too since I have some dough left over.

I bought the stuff I had in my mf cart, and some extras.

I did NOT get the antares avp unit, as I'm just going to get some plugins for my Acid pro instead.
Yeh, the AVP is probably really good for live stuff...but like i said in one of my original posts, you'll have much more control for less money with just plugins...this is mainly because while most plugin's try to emulate their hardware components, i.e. EQ's, Compressors, Reverbs etc etc, the stuff that the AVP does started off in the digital plugin world, and moved into a rack piece from that...so yeah, i'd always recommend the plugin counterpart if you're specifically recording.
Old 31st December 2010
pan
Lives for gear

you can't hear how I sound in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhook View Post
As you can hear, my vocals sound flat. Well I guess you wouldn't know that cuz you can't hear how I sound in person. But I sound much better than this, and I just wish I could get my mic to pick that up.
Have you ever been recorded by another person and been presented your "true" voice?

It does not sound bad or wrong to me...you actually know how to sing, so take all the advice here with a grain of salt - gear will not really fix your issues.
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

true voice

@pan, Thanks! =) Yes I've been recorded a few times, but don't have any of the takes, etc here. They're all at the guy's studio, which is odd I know, that's another reason why I wanted to get my own little studio together, and quit goin to him. He acts real strange, and like he owns the takes or whatever. Weird guy.

But I got my stuff coming, should be here tomorrow or Wednesday, and I'll test it out, and post something up. =) I'm sooo excited.

Will report back. Thanks for all the help!
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut
So you went for the M-Audio interface? Which is just fine.

I was just wondering cuz thats sets your in full capability of producing also.
If you'd have wanted just the best for your situation ( Now, I remember you use to shop the backkings) would be something like tataaa: heh

zSHARE - future music217rev_audient.pdf

Audient Mico | Sweetwater.com

I m willing to sale one of these
Old 17th January 2011
Here for the gear

got my stuff

Ok, I got my stuff, and it's been sitting here until I had time to unpack it and hook it up.

Got everything hooked up EXCEPT the most important part. I can't connect the m-audio profire 610 to my computer.

I've got the 6-pin and 4-pin cables that came with the profire, but there's no way I can hook the other end to my computers (I have 3).

I don't have a 6-pin or 4-pin connection into my computers. I do see a place where there could be a 4-pin, but not sure. Do I need to have one put in?

I've also read about an express card, could I buy one of those? I have an sd slot for sd cards.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated!!

Nicky
Old 17th June 2011
Gear Head

Hello,

Might I suggest getting an RME FireFace 400 Interface? It's the next thing on my budget, and from examples I have heard it has such a great PreAmp it turns pretty much every microphone into a helluva device!

Also make sure the environment you're recording in is treated well or else you'll end up stuck and not able to perform like me, until it's fixed. Hehe. Good luck man

Edit: I've heard good things about the ProFire as well. I hope it works out. Can you post pictures of what you're having problems with? I would imagine to connect the 610 to your Computer you would need a i394 Firewire cable to plug into the 610, and the back of your PC.

Last edited by BadAndyGoodPizza; 17th June 2011 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Additional Comments

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search