The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic locker expansion - Ribbon, dynamic, or LDC? Dynamic Microphones
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

Mic locker expansion - Ribbon, dynamic, or LDC?

Have:

Apex 450 Tube x 2
SM57 Dynamic x 6
Octavia MC012 SDC x 2
Shure KSM 27 LDC x 1
SM 58 Dynamic x 2
Shure Beta 52A Dynamic x 1
Sennheiser E604 Dynamic x 3

Thinking of getting:

More guitar cab/tom appropriate dynamic, ala MD421 or a e609, or other reccomendations?

Apex or similar ribbon mic(s) for rooms, possibly guitars, OH's etc.

Another LDC or two, for general use on vocals, guitar cabs etc.

Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions greatly appreciated. Budget of about $500 max, $250 or less even better. I record rock and roll, so loud drums, loud guitars, loud vocals. On an eternal quest for the best replication of great 70's rock and roll sounds I can achieve.

What would you get? I can post the rest of my setup if need be, but I think mics is where I am going to see the best bang for my buck at this point.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

re20
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks Psycho. I should have mentioned in my original post that I basically have access to a buddies SM7B whenever I need it. Would that change your reccomendation at all, or would you say they are different enough that it is worth having both?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ribbons.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
If it comes under budget, get an md421 and a cascade fathead...maybe used if need be. If i had to choose between the two, i'd probably get the 421 first and the fathead 2nd.

The combination between a 57 and 421 on guitar is VERY good...then again the combination of a 57 and a ribbon is equally as good...just different. I find i use my 421 more often than the ribbon, hence my suggestion for that first...

When it comes to the e609 later on down the track, i would probably recommend the e906 instead...i have two of them, and they're worth the extra money, the presence switch on them is pretty good.

Also note, if you get the 421, and seeing as you have access to the sm7b, these will serve great for vocals...they're the main ones i use...
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks for the tip on the fathead Nelson. Hadn’t heard of that one before, and it looks interesting. I have used the 421 before in other studios, and it is definitely on my list. I like it a lot on toms as well as guitar amps. They are fairly pricey for a dynamic though, and I’d want three of them to mic up a kit.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

So I've done some more searching and reading, and I think I'm going to go the ribbons route. The music store I need to buy at (gift certificate for Christmas) has Apex 205, 210, and 215, as well as the ART M-Five, all within my price range. Hoping for something good on primarily guitar cabs and maybe overheads.

From the reading I've done, I think it is down to the 205 and the M-Five, which has been compared to a Fathead. Opinions on these two, or the others mentioned above?

Cheers!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Get a 205 and mod it.

Apex 205 ribbon mic + transformer mods...

Last edited by junior; 27th December 2010 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: added a link
Old 28th December 2010

For guitar cabs, a Heil PR30 is a good choice (nice on toms and snares too).

Kel has some LDC and MDC that are a bit different than what you have and nice. The HM-7u is definately worth having.

The CAD M179 is worth looking into... You can do a lot with a pair of them (I'd try them before ribbon mics for ambience).

-tINY

Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Mic locker expansion - Ribbon, dynamic, or LDC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior
+1

Hobson

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Geez Tiny... just when I thought I was narrowing it down!

That Heil PR30 does indeed sound interesting. Would like to get my hands on one for a spin.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search