The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar through bass-combo, trying to get a certain sound. Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Guitar through bass-combo, trying to get a certain sound.

Hi, first poster here!
I hope it's the right forum.

I've been trying to get a better guitar sound (rythm only), unfortunatley I haven't been able to reproduce what I'm hearing in my head..

The guitars in this is pretty close to it..
YouTube - Suburban Tribe - Complications (2006)
But I know they use expensive stuff and I'm on a really tight budget..
I have no way of buying expensive stuff really..

Buuut, then I heard this, and it's a Warwick Blue Cab 60 with a behringer HM300 pedal..
YouTube - Soilwork Strangler cover.flv
Which sounds close to what I want. (if his amp is what I think I'm hearing)
So I'm thinking of getting the same bass-combo.. but the 60.1
"60W/8ohm (RMS), 80W/8ohm (peak), 1x 12” speaker, 9dB SPL, 70Hz resonant frequency, 50Hz-5kHz frequency range"
But the budget is tight, and there are cheaper bass-combos out there..
Also a smaller version of the Warwick:
"Warwick Blue Cab 15.1, 15 watt bass combo, 1 x 8" speaker (RMS 15W, max. 20W, 8 Ohm, 94dB, resonance frequency: 120Hz, frequence range: 75Hz-6000Hz)"

This is for home-recording only..
So I'm not after power (or am I?) just a fatter sound.
Many cheap combos have 6" - 10" speakers, and I'm guessing they would sound smaller than an 12"?
Though the frequency range is higher for the smaller ones..

I mostly have cheap gear unfortunatly,
I can use distortion from vsts since I have reampbox.
I have a chep DeArmond guitar and a Schecter Demon 6, play mostly in C-drop and I'm switching from 0.11 to 0.13 strings.. hoping that helps..
Pedals:
Damage Control: Solid Metal, Bad Monkey, DS-1.

The 12" Warwick costs at least 300 Euro here (Sweden)
Ordering it from abroad, I can get it for less than half that..
And the 8" inch woulde be even friendlier to my wallet, but I don't want to get a lesser sound.

Tl;Dr
Home-recording only, for rythm guitar, want that "grainy" distortion (sorry, don't know how to put it) and not "creamy".

Hope I've made myself clear!
All advice is appreaciated..

Thanks!
/Mikael
Old 27th December 2010
g22
Lives for gear

I dont know if I'd recommend getting a bass amp for a guitar, however, bass amps can be very versatile even if decide later you want a guitar amp instead. You can use bass amps for keyboards and if you run a drum machine through it and mic the output, it really takes a drum machines sound to the next level, and obviously can be used if you play bass are get one later. I know that doesnt answer your question, but I guess what
I;m saying is if that amp works for the guitar sound you want, go for it, because it also can have a lot of other uses in your production.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
OK first of all there's probably nothing wrong with using a bass amp for a guitar...people used to do it all the time...(Fender Bassman).

Listening to that first thing you showed though, i'd be more interested in what guitar amp you're already using (was it already mentioned? all i saw was guitars and pedals). The actual guitar sound isn't as huge as you think it is, a lot of it is from the bass believe it or not...

Now like i said, i don't know what amp you're using at the moment, once i know that i could probably steer you in the right direction...but for recording purposes i'd probably be looking at using a different microphone...
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks for the replies!

Right now I don't have an amp, I used to have 2 practice (Peavy Rage 15w, Crate GX-15) amps that I removed the cabs from and just use them as "tops"..

I've been using IR's that I bought from Redwirez, with my pedals and some vsts..
I've had the opportunitie to mic different setups of cabs (4x12) and different tops.. expensive stuff.. also expensive mics.. but I have never achieved the right tone..

I know Suburban Tribe uses Bogner and maybe it's what I need - but cannot afford.. I've also heard a Krankenstein produce similar results..

I've considered getting a cheap guitar-combo.. but.. since I've owned and tried a few.. I don't think they could ever give me that grainy distortion..
And I haven't gotten that sound with vsts either..

So now I'm thinking of getting that BC60.1 since it's affordable, it's what he uses in the clip and it's got a 12" speaker or the 15.1 (it's cheaper and maybe bigger speaker doesn't make that big of a difference?)
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
Ok, i would only ever recommend a 12" speaker for starters. I had an old laney valvestate amp one day that got that sort of distortion...if you've got the opportunity, go to a store and trial out a bunch of amps out before settling on that particular setup.

When it comes to VSTs....what ones have you actually tried? I've found Amplitube 3 and Softube Metal Amp Room get you most of the way there...

On top of that, what mic's are you planning to use once you buy the amp?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Unfortunatly prices in my town/country are higher than when ordering from abroad.. Maybe this sounds dumb, but I'd rather not waste the time of the local stores if I'm not going to buy anything.. :S

I've tried a lot of freeware vsts and commercial ones ex. GuitarRig, GR, Amplitube and more (most versions)..
But I haven't been able to nail that sound, even though I should.. Tried with different guitars, with passive/active mics..
I usually get that creamy distortion and I want a more "grainy" one..
Maybe it's that cheap Behringer pedal he uses in the clip (HM300), based off of the discontinued Boss HM2..

I've had access to some good gear, but now I can only rely on my own stuff..
And that's a Behringer C1 and two Behringer C2.. I'm thinking of getting a new now, I'm thinking of getting a chinese rip-off of a Sm57 or a cheap measuring mic.. Like I said.. Tight budget, can't really afford the a combo to begin with.. but.. everything for the music :D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search