The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nearfield monitor eq Sequencers (HW)
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

Nearfield monitor eq

I just got a bunch of new equipment for christmas that is currently set up in my room. Since I don't have any acoustic treatment at the time, would it be a terrible thing to download a free audio spectrum analyzer and use a graphic eq to adjust the eq of my monitors to level out the frequency spikes of the room? Or would this be a bad thing to do?

Thanks,
Bthr22
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Would it be terrible? Of course not. Will it be helpful? Probably not very much.

EQ is not going to really solve the issues in the room.

In the typical rectangle room:

Listening position against the short wall. Keep the monitors out of the corner.

Bass Traps in every corner.

Absorption to the left, right and above the listening position using the mirror trick in order to kill early reflections.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthr22 View Post
Since I don't have any acoustic treatment at the time, would it be a terrible thing to download a free audio spectrum analyzer and use a graphic eq to adjust the eq of my monitors to level out the frequency spikes of the room?
That doesn't work because the response changes drastically around the room. Not just around the room, but even over spans of a few inches. EQ can't even get the response right for both of your ears at the same time. Then graph below shows the LF response in a typical untreated room at two locations four inches away. Pretty scary, eh? Notice that the deep null at 71 Hz in one location becomes a peak at the other. Much more here:

Audyssey Report
A common-sense explanation of audiophile beliefs

So the correct solution really is bass traps and other acoustic treatment, as gtrguy said. More on that here:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Don't fix the room with electronics. Fix the room by fixing the room. It's that simple. :-)

Placement is king, then come the early-reflection stoppers on the sides (a little pyramid foam at just the right spots does a lot, you actually notice when you exit the sweet spot while listening to the monitors). After that say hello to bass traps to get rid of the boominess and actually hear what's going on in the bass domain.

Commercial studios put the client couch where the bass builds up, usually way back in the control room. This way, they don't complain that there's not enough bass because, well, there's lots of extra bass back there.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search