The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GAP-73 vs. ART Pro MPA II for "warmth" Single-Channel Preamps
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
I recommend a used Joemeeek VC6Q.
Have you compared the Joe Meek VC6Q to a GAP PRE 73 or an ART MPA?
Old 29th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Changing the tubes on an MPA Gold to NOS Mullards makes this an entirely different (in a better way) preamp. It seemed to me unusable with the Chinese tubes but pretty good with the Mullards. But, my Altec 1612a (solid state with transformers in and out) beats it by a mile as far as both warmth and clarity. These come up on e-bay pretty regularly for cheap. Cheaper than a GAP, better components and you get a built in FET compressor as well. The biggest surprise however was when I recently got a Bellari 533 tube pre and switched tubes to NOS Sylvanias. Wow! Many posters on this forum described the Bellari pres as really dirty, gritty etc. etc. I got it to use as basically a "dirt" box. Wrong! This pre is the warmest, most detailed, quietest pre I've ever used and is now my main pre for vocals, guitars, you name it. The Bellari has transformer balanced input (like the GAP) and full 240 volts on the tubes.
Does the Bellari really operate at 240 volts on the tubes? Can you post more specs on it? Can it operate at 220 volt or is it only 110 (european versus american power current)? You got me curious. Just another idea for the preamp collection
Old 16th January 2014
Here for the gear

How do you feel about the JOEONEQ2 ?
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Addict

I have the exact same KSM27 mic and the Art Pro MPAII ... I've not had much trouble with it at all .. I like the dedicated output knob so you can drive the tube harder and then turn the output down to prevent clipping. For it's price it's a great unit... also worth noting a lot of engineers have had even more success with tube swaps, but I've not gotten around to testing different tubes yet so I can't speak from personal experience on that.
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Addict

I also have a cheap Presonus Tubepre (not the 2nd version) that I got for free and I've actually ended up liking it and used it on a few projects... you could probably get one for probably 100 bucks or less off eBay or something like that
Old 17th January 2014
I have the MPA II and have really enjoyed it so far (only made 1 recording with it though). I'm surprised at how well my electric guitar sounds through it direct in. I've done that on a few demos and it sounds really good.

I probably will be getting the GAP-73 sometime too though, so I'll be checking back with this thread on occasion. Thanks for posting the question.
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Addict

If you can afford both go for it, but you can't go wrong with both.
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Check out these guys: Vintage Synth & Mic Preamps
I just got a dual valve pre from them and using it at the moment to record an acoustic album. It sounds awesome. Much better then the GAP Pre73. A bit noisier but great sounding - big, open, warm!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search