The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for the Right Sound... Please Help Single-Channel Preamps
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Looking for the Right Sound... Please Help

Something about all my mix downs just drive me crazy, it just seems to be missing that analog feel Im looking for in my mix no matter how much tube fx I ad to it with out killing the track.... The other day I was messing around and I ran the master out into a cheap mixer I had laying around and I all of a sudden was like WOW!!!! Thats it.... Then it got me thinking like is it more of a true tape sound that Im looking for?

Need help... Many gearslut friends said That I need a very good tube pre but Im not sure that is what Im looking for.... Maybe its the old school mixer sound Im trying to find..... Please Help
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

maybe its your pres, mics, and converters.

that was DEFINITELY my problem

MOTU828 didn't cut, so I upgraded to Apogee 200 and got a Distressor and a nice Neve clone pre... much better.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
Something about all my mix downs just drive me crazy, it just seems to be missing that analog feel Im looking for in my mix no matter how much tube fx I ad to it

I'm sorry, but if you want an analog feel or sound, why not use analog gear? I've never understood this concept. If you want digital sound would you use analog gear? No. Use the tools for what you are wanting.

However, it sounds like maybe what you want analog summing. This can be accomplished a number of ways. Maybe using that old mixer is the way to go. IF you like the results keep it up. Analog mix down decks are too expensive these days. You might try that.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

its not my mic for sure, evrything sounds clean.... its the feel of the master mix Im talking about..... everything sounds way to clean and crisp and thats what drives me nuts... Its something that Im not hearing in my mixes.... I feel I need to run the whole mix through something to give it that feel Im looking for, almost like a very good analog mixer or pre and then back into my daw as a stereo track......
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
This might seem a bit counter to what you are looking for, since it's a digital signal processing trick, not an analog one, but if you have URS's saturation plugin and put the 15ips tape saturation on every track, I think it gives you a bit of a softer 'analog' sound. I'll try to post an example in a bit.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

yes I thought about it and yes it would very pricey LOL.... The issue with the mixer I tested out is that its a peace of Behringer crap so I really cant use it but I was thinking of getting a really good 4 to 8 channel mixer that could be pricey but give me that sound that Im looking for.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_dennis View Post
I'm sorry, but if you want an analog feel or sound, why not use analog gear? I've never understood this concept. If you want digital sound would you use analog gear? No. Use the tools for what you are wanting.

However, it sounds like maybe what you want analog summing. This can be accomplished a number of ways. Maybe using that old mixer is the way to go. IF you like the results keep it up. Analog mix down decks are too expensive these days. You might try that.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

That would be GREAT if you could help me out.... Im glad you understand what Im talking about....

When I do a mixtape track over a pro beat I love the way the Mix sounds with my vocals on top of it... My vocal mix is great.... I feel its the beat because all my beats are made in midi these days so they are missing that something that I cant put my fingure on LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
This might seem a bit counter to what you are looking for, since it's a digital signal processing trick, not an analog one, but if you have URS's saturation plugin and put the 15ips tape saturation on every track, I think it gives you a bit of a softer 'analog' sound. I'll try to post an example in a bit.
Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

I kinda felt that way for a while...the best cheap thing i tried was getting a W1 limiter plugin online from yohong for free and putting it on the buss for the beat and also the master buss to maximze your levels. Or maybe an ssl g comp from waves if you can afford it. The beats can sound weak if you dont put a good limiter on them. It doesnt cost anything so its worth the shot. Its a direct copy of the waves L1 limiter and its super easy to use. Just bring the threshold down a bit and it helps bring some nice punchiness. Just dont overdue it.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

I have limiters and comp, thats not a issue... if you look right under my post you can hear one of my tracks.... my tracks are loud and proud, its not that at all.... I think its not what Im doing in the Box its what Im doing outside the Box "PC"

Quote:
Originally Posted by szar9766 View Post
I kinda felt that way for a while...the best cheap thing i tried was getting a W1 limiter plugin online from yohong for free and putting it on the buss for the beat and also the master buss to maximze your levels. Or maybe an ssl g comp from waves if you can afford it. The beats can sound weak if you dont put a good limiter on them. It doesnt cost anything so its worth the shot. Its a direct copy of the waves L1 limiter and its super easy to use. Just bring the threshold down a bit and it helps bring some nice punchiness. Just dont overdue it.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Alright, I think this might not be the best example because the mix is a little busy and I think that it suffers from the saturation treatment, but hopefully it's enough to give you an idea of what the URS vst can do. Also, these are pretty extreme settings, so more subtle changes are possible.
Attached Files

silverchunk.mp3 (948.8 KB, 165 views)

silverchunktapesat.mp3 (948.8 KB, 82 views)

Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
I just checked out the link in your sig. Maybe it's just youtube compression, but that mix doesn't sound harsh or strident at all to me... A little muffled if anything. But you say your looking more for warmth than clarity?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
Alright, I think this might not be the best example because the mix is a little busy and I think that it suffers from the saturation treatment, but hopefully it's enough to give you an idea of what the URS vst can do. Also, these are pretty extreme settings, so more subtle changes are possible.
It seems that saturation mite be my issue... it sounds way smoother

What did you use to get that sound
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

analog feel on digital mixes

hey castro i had that problem years ago i solved my peoblems in many ways.first off i have a old rme hammerfall 9636(xp drivers only) it has 3 adat optical out meaning 24 mono outputs(8 for each adat out).i only use 2(16 mono)to my ramsa da7 which have great adc's btw.Using the 16 mono's as 8 stereo's i seperate my baseline,drums,vocals and leads cords melodies ect. on the last stereo output.that gives me a much tighter bass stronger drums overall more 3d like sound.(digital summing)

i was mixing 1 day and i couldnt get the mixes right.trouble shooting for a reason why i started muting things as soon as is i muted the heavy bass drum my whole mix got louder and stronger.No matter how low i made the drums they simply took all the bandwith.i then routed the drums to a separate output!!!!!MAGIC!!!!so now i said i need a mixdown deck!

dont u know i had a emu card install on the same pc open wavelab mix and bounced back to the same computer yup u can do it!ok the 3d like thing will help any mix but i also have 3 uad1 cards with analog modeled algorithms.let me tell u i have no concern for analog sound anymore they have a(uad) studer a800 tape recorder emulation i dont even have it.but it can be inserted it on as many channels needed.cubase has the great group thing i usually group lead vocals then chorus vocals insert my effects on the group channels. doing a submix on cubase mixer then use the group for overall level.soft sampler have multiple out no need to group them.just dont use the xtra outs.

but i do use tubes saturation other tape emulations but back to the analog thing. if u tube everything on 1 output thats the problem.analog mixers are separate channels the more you separate things then better ur daw can do the math. if a daw output only have to worry about a small frenquency bandwith with a narrow dynamic range(im sure u compress).the lest numbers and more accurate it will be.

adding tube or harmonic distortion only where u really need it or where it ,sounds best imo. instead of the whole mix via a tube plug, should give u a better mix.thus Giving you a more 3 dimensional tighter sound will have u loving digital.just add a touch of air to open it up should be all u might need thumbsup
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
It's a plugin from Unique Recording Software. Here's a link:

Unique Recording Software

You can probably demo it or something just to make sure it's going to work for you.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

prontold mix with the tape sat sounds warmer to me which one are u using prontold ?
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
URS saturation, 15 ips 100% wet with about 80% saturation on every track (vocals ~20% sat)
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

fat ass track castro no ****ing doubt i would put a lo fi phrase between the baddest that ever lived break but its a hit man.i heard it on my macbook pro i gotta hear that in the studio!do u have a tube mic pre?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

o ok sounds better ! with urs on i gotta hear both songs in the studio u guys make me wonna post my stuff man great work!
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayclas View Post
fat ass track castro no ****ing doubt i would put a lo fi phrase between the baddest that ever lived break but its a hit man.i heard it on my macbook pro i gotta hear that in the studio!do u have a tube mic pre?
I am using a sm7 into a presonus studio channel tube pre into a m-audio 610
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

protold do u have any reverb on the vocals? catchy tune though
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
What u mean by lo fi?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

ok u got the presonus i heard talk about swapping the tube out something about them coming with chinese tubes with are considered bad quality i was gonna get that same mic pre.then i saw a isa one price drop from 799 to 499 i had to get it! its a game changer my quality game lol ultra smooth and clean
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for the Right Sound... Please Help-imag0090.jpg  
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

another phase with a phone effect on it like in snoop dogg murder was case they case me
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
ok u got the presonus i heard talk about swapping the tube out something about them coming with chinese tubes with are considered bad quality i was gonna get that same mic pre.then i saw a isa one price drop from 799 to 499 i had to get it! its a game changer my quality game lol ultra smooth and clean
I like your set up... it looks sweet.... I figured if I got a great pre it would have to be a stereo pre and they get pricey... plus im not sure if that is what my issue is lol
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

thankz man 25,000 in software but one good mic pre and more mic's. they will help u fit in different songs once u figure out what kinda sound they give u
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
thankz man 25,000 in software but one good mic pre and more mic's. they will help u fit in different songs once u figure out what kinda sound they give u
What type of pre should I check out? Tube? Stereo?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

mono mic pre at same price will be better if you get a ua twinfinity(799) by dec 31 u get a free uad2 solo cardthem (analog plug ins).so its like your getting both at 400 a piece i was temped but id rather get a uad2 duo card more plug ins at a time
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

i love my isa one i had a dbx 386 dual tube mic pre wish i still had it look up americanmusicalsupply.com 3 payments no interest no credit check ,45 day return policy.i ordered the ga pre73 when i ordered the isa one i only wanted the winner i like both it was tough to decide but the isa was a little warmer.i do R n B as well i got a focusrite trackmaster its not bad i gotta try the presonus!
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

the dbx was stereo it was rich i loved it i wonder how it stack up to the presonus its a dual tube pre very warm i didnt use the converters on it i like my da7 converters better they where fuller
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
i love my isa one i had a dbx 386 dual tube mic pre wish i still had it look up americanmusicalsupply.com 3 payments no interest no credit check ,45 day return policy.i ordered the ga pre73 when i ordered the isa one i only wanted the winner i like both it was tough to decide but the isa was a little warmer.i do R n B as well i got a focusrite trackmaster its not bad i gotta try the presonus!
No credit check? LoL .... I like that

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search