The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for the Right Sound... Please Help Single-Channel Preamps
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

From some of the stuff Im watching online it is really looking like the ISA one is the right buy for me..... from all I read it will have a all around great sound to it..... I hope I will love it LOL... I was really stuck on the whole tube thing but "TUBE" dont always meen better fuller sound....
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayclas View Post
[email protected] its linked to my phone so we can chat im in maryland u?o im jay castro

Got it... email sent
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

I posted a new post in the hiphop section to see what the HipHop guys think of the 2 pres the "ISA one or Universal Audio Solo 610".... I think I like the ISA..... I want to order it today lol
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
I posted a new post in the hiphop section to see what the HipHop guys think of the 2 pres the "ISA one or Universal Audio Solo 610".... I think I like the ISA..... I want to order it today lol

wow man the isa my fav send me a track with a 16 from you and a hook and leave 16 for me ill find a 16 from him that fit so we dont have to wait for him we did 3 joints last week ill find something for it
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
wow man the isa my fav send me a track with a 16 from you and a hook and leave 16 for me ill find a 16 from him that fit so we dont have to wait for him we did 3 joints last week ill find something for it
Ok... ill try to put somthing together Wen
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
It would be a good way to compare your pre to mine
theres a guy on here selling a isa one for 375 heres the link

FS: Focusrite ISA One Mic Pre Mint (NYC)
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
theres a guy on here selling a isa one for 375 heres the link

FS: Focusrite ISA One Mic Pre Mint (NYC)
Ill check it out right now... thanks
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson89 View Post
Any of the three won't be a mistake...all very good pieces when you use them right. Try them all out if you can...they all sound different, if you're after straight up sound quality, they all offer different things. The ISA one has an optional digital card that you can purchase with VERY good conversion, it would run through spdif.

The ISA one is good because you can use the DI and the mic/line pre at the exact same time, has about 80db of gain, seeing as you've got an sm7 in the mix, this can be a good thing. This is probably the cleanest/transparent of the three. Also has an impedance switch that can vary the tone a bit.

The 610 is that real oldschool vibe, based on the old putnam desk, about 60db of gain, fairly creamy tube sound (i.e. coloured), uses both a 12AX7 and a 12AT7 at the same time. It also has variable impedance switch. It only has one output though, so the DI and Mic input can't be used simultaneously. It doesn't have a line input though...and you'd be pushing it to its limits with an sm7.

The 710 has like a split at the input stage and it runs everything in parallel through the tube circuitry and the solid state circuitry. You then use the blend knob to switch between the tube circuit or solid state circuit or anywhere in between. The tube side is a bit more of a modern crunch than a vintage cream, and the solid state side is quite good. It has an instrument input on the front, but no thru port, so you can plug a bass or guitar into it, but you can't then plug it into an amp...It takes both mic level and line level at the back that you can keep plugged in at the same time and just switch between them...unlike the other's it doesn't have an impedance switch, which i feel would have made this unit that much better. It has about 73db of gain, more than enough for an sm7.

The reason i mention the sm7 is because out of all my mic's, thats the one that has really tested my preamps because the thing needs that much gain...

All the units have the usual polarity switch, phantom power, low cut filter. All are good in their own ways, this is just a short description of what each has and what each potentially lacks.

great info!i read it twice!
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
great info!i read it twice!
I did too... it was good
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ill check it out right now... thanks
I just posted on his post.... told him to pm me
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
I just posted on his post.... told him to pm me

cool but be careful!i dont know that dude
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
cool but be careful!i dont know that dude
Id use paypal so I don't get jacked lol... thanks
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Any of the three won't be a mistake...all very good pieces when you use them right. Try them all out if you can...they all sound different, if you're after straight up sound quality, they all offer different things. The ISA one has an optional digital card that you can purchase with VERY good conversion, it would run through spdif.

The ISA one is good because you can use the DI and the mic/line pre at the exact same time, has about 80db of gain, seeing as you've got an sm7 in the mix, this can be a good thing. This is probably the cleanest/transparent of the three. Also has an impedance switch that can vary the tone a bit.

The 610 is that real oldschool vibe, based on the old putnam desk, about 60db of gain, fairly creamy tube sound (i.e. coloured), uses both a 12AX7 and a 12AT7 at the same time. It also has variable impedance switch. It only has one output though, so the DI and Mic input can't be used simultaneously. It doesn't have a line input though...and you'd be pushing it to its limits with an sm7.

The 710 has like a split at the input stage and it runs everything in parallel through the tube circuitry and the solid state circuitry. You then use the blend knob to switch between the tube circuit or solid state circuit or anywhere in between. The tube side is a bit more of a modern crunch than a vintage cream, and the solid state side is quite good. It has an instrument input on the front, but no thru port, so you can plug a bass or guitar into it, but you can't then plug it into an amp...It takes both mic level and line level at the back that you can keep plugged in at the same time and just switch between them...unlike the other's it doesn't have an impedance switch, which i feel would have made this unit that much better. It has about 73db of gain, more than enough for an sm7.

The reason i mention the sm7 is because out of all my mic's, thats the one that has really tested my preamps because the thing needs that much gain...

All the units have the usual polarity switch, phantom power, low cut filter. All are good in their own ways, this is just a short description of what each has and what each potentially lacks.

nelson i usually use my ramsa da7(111 dr) for all adc(i stand by them converters there truly great). lately i ran the isa one to my m audio firewire 1814(105 dr) and i had to lower the amount of gain to stop clipping on the 1814

the question is do you think im missing the sweet spot on the mic by not having to give it as much mic trim or will it just be maybe a little cleaner ?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
nelson i usually use my ramsa da7(111 dr) for all adc(i stand by them there truly great). lately i ran the isa one to my m audio firewire 1814(105 dr) and i had to lower the amount of gain to stop clipping on the 1814

the question is do you think im missing the sweet spot on the mic by not having to give it as much mic trim or will it just be maybe a little cleaner ?
Ummm maybe, it would be hard to tell without a direct comparison between the two...but remember the line input on the m audio is -10 unbalanced, so this might be why you have to decrease the output gain because the line output of the focusrite is +4 balanced...i guess all i can really say is that i prefer the sound of my sm7b > UA 710 > m audio profire 2626 (with +4 inputs) to when i have my sm7b > UA 710 > Tascam FW1082 (with -10 inputs). The sound through a balanced input is a bit more full and i would assume the noise floor would be lower as well doing it this way.

Have no idea if i answered your question, but yeh, i guess from my experience it'll work through -10 inputs...it'll probably sound better through +4 inputs
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ummm maybe, it would be hard to tell without a direct comparison between the two...but remember the line input on the m audio is -10 unbalanced, so this might be why you have to decrease the output gain because the line output of the focusrite is +4 balanced...i guess all i can really say is that i prefer the sound of my sm7b > UA 710 > m audio profire 2626 (with +4 inputs) to when i have my sm7b > UA 710 > Tascam FW1082 (with -10 inputs). The sound through a balanced input is a bit more full and i would assume the noise floor would be lower as well doing it this way.

Have no idea if i answered your question, but yeh, i guess from my experience it'll work through -10 inputs...it'll probably sound better through +4 inputs

hmmm ok i have it going to the mic pre section of the 1814 (balanced)i just leave the phantom power of and dont use the gain at all i run it strait 2 the adc

i do it the same way on the da7 no phatom no gain i leave it on zero, but ill check for a -10/+4 switch that might be it!

its a double socket allowing xlr and 1/4 inch it skipped my mine totally thankz
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

damn im slipping theres a mic/line button right over the phatom power button . its only temporary so i kinda took it with a grain of salt

all that talk about gain on the 3 mic pres' reminded me of that issue thankz
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
hmmm ok i have it going to the mic pre section of the 1814 (balanced)i just leave the phantom power of and dont use the gain at all i run it strait 2 the adc

i do it the same way on the da7 no phatom no gain i leave it on zero, but ill check for a -10/+4 switch that might be it!

its a double socket allowing xlr and 1/4 inch it skipped my mine totally thankz
ok a few things...you'd be better off running it into the line input...0 gain on the mic pre is still running it through the mic pre circuit for starters, the maximum input level through that mic pre is about -3.8, whereas the maximum input level through the line input is +2.1...so you run the risk of overloading the mic input section of the maudio 1814.

Get yourself an XLR - 1/4" cable, combo sockets generally have the XLR a mic level input and the Jack a line level input. Always use the line level input on any device when you're using an external pre.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
damn im slipping theres a mic/line button right over the phatom power button . its only temporary so i kinda took it with a grain of salt

haha yeh, that mic/line button should do it....
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

I never thought to turn my gain all the way down on my AD-DA LOL.... I bet this would kill all the line noise issues I was having LOL
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
ok a few things...you'd be better off running it into the line input...0 gain on the mic pre is still running it through the mic pre circuit for starters, the maximum input level through that mic pre is about -3.8, whereas the maximum input level through the line input is +2.1...so you run the risk of overloading the mic input section of the maudio 1814.

Get yourself an XLR - 1/4" cable, combo sockets generally have the XLR a mic level input and the Jack a line level input. Always use the line level input on any device when you're using an external pre.

wow my ramsa might sound even better to man o man! yea i have several monster cables, i used xlr because it a monster cable 1000 i couldnt find any xlr to 1/2 inch 1000's only 500's
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

I've heard to do this before... I've never thought it would make that big of a difference ... I need to try this tomorrow
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
I never thought to turn my gain all the way down on my AD-DA LOL.... I bet this would kill all the line noise issues I was having LOL

did u use the gain from both mic pre and interface?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
did u use the gain from both mic pre and interface?
Please don't lol but yes I did... im changing it righ now to see how it sounds
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Please don't lol but yes I did... im changing it righ now to see how it sounds

i couldnt laugh even if i wanted to i didnt push the mic/line button

scratching my head wondering why i gotta turn my mic pre down so much rooky move!

we can lol together smh
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

castro try nomad factory's magneto its new

i just demoed it .nice! it gives that tape/tubes sound to ur mixes

very analog and warm

set the output off magneto to match ur daw output when u bypass so the level is the same(neither one should be louder but the same )

play with the input and output of magneto to get it right when u bypass it

it sound much better at the same level u can over do it so adjust carefully
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
castro try nomad factory's magneto its new

i just demoed it .nice! it gives that tape/tubes sound to ur mixes

very analog and warm

set the output off magneto to match ur daw output when u bypass so the level is the same(neither one should be louder but the same )

play with the input and output of magneto to get it right when u bypass it

it sound much better at the same level u can over do it so adjust carefully

Will do.... thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search