The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for the Right Sound... Please Help Single-Channel Preamps
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
Hey, this thread got loong fast. I hear some pretty mixed takes on the UA twinfinity, though the UAD card might come in handy.

@ Castro A lot of people seem to like the GAP pre 73, and I think it could really kill two birds with one lazer for you. It's a solid preamp that can go from fairly clean to transformer saturation, so you could use it to warm up your mixes or just to get a better signal through initially than what you might be getting with your current preamp. I must qualify all this by saying that I've never used one, but I'm thinking about saving up some money and building a rack of these: SCA Main Product Page, which would include similar preamps. The GAP pre 73 gets a ton of buzz around here.

Your tracks sound pretty hot, sonic character aside
his trackz are nice theres more on youtube hehe i took a peep

i had a ga pre73 i still have audio demos off it vs the isa one its me singing i really dont want to post lmao. but i will just to help out.its the best for 300$ the isa one was warmer thicker actually more detailed to me.the ga pre73 was strong and cut through the mix great!i can use a hp filter to then out the isa if need be.there something about recording as much as possible then make the adjustments later imo
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayclas View Post
o ok cool im listening on my laptop so i cant tell
Thanks so much guys.... I am going to check all this out for sure... I just remixed a whole track through my channel strip pre and it really opened up the track... im going to pump it in my car and see how it feels then ill post it here to see what you guys think tonight... thanks so much for all this help
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

What pre is better? The solo 610 or the 710 twin finity?

There are so many preamps out there for under 1000 that I have no idea what to look for
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear
Once again, I don't have first-hand experience with either, but I spend too much time reading about gear. I've seen many lukewarm opinions on the 710 and voiced preferences for the 610.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Once again, I don't have first-hand experience with either, but I spend too much time reading about gear. I've seen many lukewarm opinions on the 710 and voiced preferences for the 610.
I like what I hear about the 610
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

ME TO IVE HEARD THE 610 IS BETTER because the tube blend side on the 710 is more of a crunch than lush warmness (but hes a rapper).and the free uad2.THE SOLID STATE SIDE is very good on the 710.he already has a good tube pre we heard his vocals ur voice sound like it belong to you lol.there clear enough it might just be mastering or mixing.(uad2 plugs rock!)its hard for me to say anything about digital without great plug ins.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
I like what I hear about the 610

dont forget about the isa one its in the high end league but ua 610 have great reviews! go for it
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
dont forget about the isa one its in the high end league but ua 610 have great reviews! go for it
Its funny you said that because I was just reading about the ISA One, the thing I don't get is why its only 500... is it not as good?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear
Well it's not a tube design. That doesn't mean it doesn't have analogue character by any means. I think, however, that real tube circuits are almost always more expensive to implement with comparable quality.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well it's not a tube design. That doesn't mean it doesn't have analogue character by any means. I think, however, that real tube circuits are almost always more expensive to implement with comparable quality.
Oh, I see lol
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Its funny you said that because I was just reading about the ISA One, the thing I don't get is why its only 500... is it not as good?

the isa one just dropped from 799 it is the gain stage of a 2400$ focusrite mic pre but it had eg and compression. the isa one have a vintage transformer Lundahl L1538 in it, from there high end forte mixing consoles hard on countless rock hits from the 80's(character!).most pre have 2 transformers 1 on input 1 on output .the 1 transformer has gain to spare i never turn it higher then 30% up.one transformer keeps some cost down.but most 500$ amps have 2 transformers, its the real deal!its all i use the dbx386 has 2 channels of tubes at the same price.i liked it also never a and b'd them i didnt have them at the same time.the isa one is the best mic pre i ever owned thus far but they were all good till i got this one(isa one that is).u cant go wrong with isa or ua
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
the isa one just dropped from 799 it is the gain stage of a 2400$ focusrite mic pre but it had eg and compression. the isa one have a vintage transformer Lundahl L1538 in it, from there high end forte mixing consoles hard on countless rock hits from the 80's(character!).most pre have 2 transformers 1 on input 1 on output .the 1 transformer has gain to spare i never turn it higher then 30% up.one transformer keeps some cost down.but most 500$ amps have 2 transformers, its the real deal!its all i use the dbx386 has 2 channels of tubes at the same price.i liked it also never a and b'd them i didnt have them at the same time.the isa one is the best mic pre i ever owned thus far but they were all good till i got this one(isa one that is).u cant go wrong with isa or ua
From what im reading just changing the tube in my pre can make a big differents
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
From what im reading just changing the tube in my pre can make a big differents

yup ! i read that like six mouths ago
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
yup ! i read that like six mouths ago

Do you know ware I can get a good tube for it and even better witch tube should I get??? I will order it tomorrow LOL..... Thanks so Much

Im selling some of my old stuff so I will be working on the sound end of things in my studio LOL....
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
What pre is better? The solo 610 or the 710 twin finity?

There are so many preamps out there for under 1000 that I have no idea what to look for
They're too different to compare. The 610 is all tube, and based on the original 610 desk built by bill putnam from like 40+ years ago. It's a very vintage tube sounding preamp (also has a proper DI circuit and what not).

The 710 is a different beast altogether. The tube sound is a more modern tube sound, quite clear if you know how to gain stage it right, but you can drive it into some pretty useful crunch. The solid state side is also really good, smooth top end, can get quite interesting when you drive it, and you have a completely variable blend between the two...apples and oranges if you compare it to the 610 i think...

I ended up going for the 710, but i would also like a 610...because like i said, they're different.

The ISA one is actually on my list before the 610...you'd be surprised how many people don't like the sound 610 and 710 just because they don't know how to use 2 separate knobs for gain...the 710 drives my sm7b pretty clean with loads of gain to spare, i'd be sitting on 6/10 on the drive knob and 7.5/10 on the output knob...
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

by the way, here is a track that I ran through my Mic Pre Channel Strip today..... I made the Beat in Reason and then solo each track and ran into my Tube Pre.... The Vocals were recorded with the PreSonus in the chain from the Mic to the ADDA.... I think that re tracking all the channels through the Pre changed the whole mix and gave it a little of that feel Ive been missing.... I think after remixing this track that Great Pre mite be just what Im missing.... But Im going to replace the Tube in mine 1st before jumping the gun LOL....

Let me know what you guys think of the mix... I really spent a lot of time on the Kick to make it hit harder... Also The bass line is really amped out....

The Vocals are My friends vocals and he spit them when I 1st got my SM7... It was just a fun track nothing that was a big deal...

Let me know what you guys think of the new remix through my PreSonus Studio Channel............ Thanks
Attached Files
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Great info... Thanks a lot, I will try to figure out witch of the 3 I will get here really soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson89 View Post
They're too different to compare. The 610 is all tube, and based on the original 610 desk built by bill putnam from like 40+ years ago. It's a very vintage tube sounding preamp (also has a proper DI circuit and what not).

The 710 is a different beast altogether. The tube sound is a more modern tube sound, quite clear if you know how to gain stage it right, but you can drive it into some pretty useful crunch. The solid state side is also really good, smooth top end, can get quite interesting when you drive it, and you have a completely variable blend between the two...apples and oranges if you compare it to the 610 i think...

I ended up going for the 710, but i would also like a 610...because like i said, they're different.

The ISA one is actually on my list before the 610...you'd be surprised how many people don't like the sound 610 and 710 just because they don't know how to use 2 separate knobs for gain...the 710 drives my sm7b pretty clean with loads of gain to spare, i'd be sitting on 6/10 on the drive knob and 7.5/10 on the output knob...
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Do you know ware I can get a good tube for it and even better witch tube should I get??? I will order it tomorrow LOL..... Thanks so Much

Im selling some of my old stuff so I will be working on the sound end of things in my studio LOL....
not even mixed yet listen to the vocals. just for u caster isa one no eg very little compression
Attached Files

attention grabber.mp3 (2.49 MB, 76 views)

Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Great info... Thanks a lot, I will try to figure out witch of the 3 I will get here really soon
Any of the three won't be a mistake...all very good pieces when you use them right. Try them all out if you can...they all sound different, if you're after straight up sound quality, they all offer different things. The ISA one has an optional digital card that you can purchase with VERY good conversion, it would run through spdif.

The ISA one is good because you can use the DI and the mic/line pre at the exact same time, has about 80db of gain, seeing as you've got an sm7 in the mix, this can be a good thing. This is probably the cleanest/transparent of the three. Also has an impedance switch that can vary the tone a bit.

The 610 is that real oldschool vibe, based on the old putnam desk, about 60db of gain, fairly creamy tube sound (i.e. coloured), uses both a 12AX7 and a 12AT7 at the same time. It also has variable impedance switch. It only has one output though, so the DI and Mic input can't be used simultaneously. It doesn't have a line input though...and you'd be pushing it to its limits with an sm7.

The 710 has like a split at the input stage and it runs everything in parallel through the tube circuitry and the solid state circuitry. You then use the blend knob to switch between the tube circuit or solid state circuit or anywhere in between. The tube side is a bit more of a modern crunch than a vintage cream, and the solid state side is quite good. It has an instrument input on the front, but no thru port, so you can plug a bass or guitar into it, but you can't then plug it into an amp...It takes both mic level and line level at the back that you can keep plugged in at the same time and just switch between them...unlike the other's it doesn't have an impedance switch, which i feel would have made this unit that much better. It has about 73db of gain, more than enough for an sm7.

The reason i mention the sm7 is because out of all my mic's, thats the one that has really tested my preamps because the thing needs that much gain...

All the units have the usual polarity switch, phantom power, low cut filter. All are good in their own ways, this is just a short description of what each has and what each potentially lacks.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
by the way, here is a track that I ran through my Mic Pre Channel Strip today..... I made the Beat in Reason and then solo each track and ran into my Tube Pre.... The Vocals were recorded with the PreSonus in the chain from the Mic to the ADDA.... I think that re tracking all the channels through the Pre changed the whole mix and gave it a little of that feel Ive been missing.... I think after remixing this track that Great Pre mite be just what Im missing.... But Im going to replace the Tube in mine 1st before jumping the gun LOL....

Let me know what you guys think of the mix... I really spent a lot of time on the Kick to make it hit harder... Also The bass line is really amped out....

The Vocals are My friends vocals and he spit them when I 1st got my SM7... It was just a fun track nothing that was a big deal...

Let me know what you guys think of the new remix through my PreSonus Studio Channel............ Thanks

sound fine to me i heard commercial releases that dont sound as good soulja boy,i wake up out my bed. them vocals sound bad imo
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear
Yeh that mix sounds pretty good...i mean i'm only listening through headphones right now...but this is like the reason i love my sm7b so much....just instantly sounds professional haha...
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:

That sounds really good. I'm not sure you have anything to worry about sonically...
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
That sounds really good. I'm not sure you have anything to worry about sonically...

i agree sounds good, might be the writing though its good but rapping even have a key how u attack your flow how fast or slow u say your words melodies, voice texture has always been my problem.!!!!!tip!!!!! todays rappers switch there flow every 4 bars, i can write but cant perform it to compete with good rapper or singers and im good at both just not good enough.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
not even mixed yet listen to the vocals. just for u caster isa one no eg very little compression
Is that you? The person spitting? I like the flow.... great sound
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Is that you? The person spitting? I like the flow.... great sound

thankz man naw that my artist hes 19 years old a natural we got a tight album coming .that was a free style for real.dude just rap for hours none stop
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
sound fine to me i heard commercial releases that dont sound as good soulja boy,i wake up out my bed. them vocals sound bad imo
LoL... I never understood how soulja got on the radio but I guess it is what it is lol
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
thankz man naw that my artist hes 19 years old a natural we got a tight album coming .that was a free style for real.dude just rap for hours none stop
I should send you a beat so me and him can do a track together lol.... it would be fun
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson89 View Post
Yeh that mix sounds pretty good...i mean i'm only listening through headphones right now...but this is like the reason i love my sm7b so much....just instantly sounds professional haha...
The vocals are a little on the high S end... I think I boosted the presence way to much but oh well lol
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
I should send you a beat so me and him can do a track together lol.... it would be fun

hell yea we doing colabos now
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
hell yea we doing colabos now

It would be a good way to compare your pre to mine

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search