The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for the Right Sound... Please Help Single-Channel Preamps
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

yup no hassle try 3 mic pre's keep the best one u like
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

id like to here another track like i said sound great to me!
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
I've only read the first 6 posts so forgive me if i'm repeating anything. If it sounds to "clean" (i know EXACTLY what you mean here) maybe look at getting just a coloured pre (tube or transformer...), run the mix through that afterwards, you can drive the input stage for more colouration. I do this sometimes with my UA 710, obviously since its only one channel, i run it through one channel at a time...it dirty's the signal up just enough to get that analog feel when you need it...the 710 twinfinity is pretty good though, as you have tube and solidstate sounds that you can blend if you want...just drive it more when you want more colouring. There's MORE than enough gain on it to drive the thing into colouration...when i do it, i dial in too much drive on purpose, and fiddle with the blend knob until i find the "sweet spot", then i dial it back until its pleasant sounding. The end results can be subtle or dramatic, depending on where you wanna go with it...obviously once you got it right with the first channel, you just run the second channel through and you're done...

Those two options are probably your best bet short of running it through a console.

(Note plugin wise, UAD Studer A800 is really good, and keep your eye out for the Slate Digital VCC, its just in beta testing at the moment i think)
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayclas View Post
id like to here another track like i said sound great to me!

Ill post one up tomorrow or the day after.... I have a ton of songs that Im working on so I need to pick one that I mite think you guys will like... LOL
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

That is what I was thinking of doing too.... I was looking to get a very good pre to mix all my channels down through.... thats why I was wondering if I needed a Stereo Pre.... But I guess I could do it through a 1 channel and just do the stereo channels 2 times one right and one left.... Does that sound right to you ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson89 View Post
I've only read the first 6 posts so forgive me if i'm repeating anything. If it sounds to "clean" (i know EXACTLY what you mean here) maybe look at getting just a coloured pre (tube or transformer...), run the mix through that afterwards, you can drive the input stage for more colouration. I do this sometimes with my UA 710, obviously since its only one channel, i run it through one channel at a time...it dirty's the signal up just enough to get that analog feel when you need it...the 710 twinfinity is pretty good though, as you have tube and solidstate sounds that you can blend if you want...just drive it more when you want more colouring. There's MORE than enough gain on it to drive the thing into colouration...when i do it, i dial in too much drive on purpose, and fiddle with the blend knob until i find the "sweet spot", then i dial it back until its pleasant sounding. The end results can be subtle or dramatic, depending on where you wanna go with it...obviously once you got it right with the first channel, you just run the second channel through and you're done...

Those two options are probably your best bet short of running it through a console.

(Note plugin wise, UAD Studer A800 is really good, and keep your eye out for the Slate Digital VCC, its just in beta testing at the moment i think)
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

I mixed down a track one time and used a U87 to mic up my tracks one at a time through the moniters to help get that analog sound and it really sounded pritty good at the end..... so all this makes sense LOL
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

if ur gonna do that (not that its not a bad idea)but just bounce it to a 100 dollar 4 track tape use all 4 channels 2 for left and 2 for right on a metal tape.most have adjustable speeds or a hi fi vcr then run it back to ur computer. that was my option i just dont need to do that anymore.everything should be digital so a great mic pre and mic are your only representatives of voice to the adc's before u cross the digital gates lol
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
That is what I was thinking of doing too.... I was looking to get a very good pre to mix all my channels down through.... thats why I was wondering if I needed a Stereo Pre.... But I guess I could do it through a 1 channel and just do the stereo channels 2 times one right and one left.... Does that sound right to you ????
Yep, like i said, you only really need to set it once haha...
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
if ur gonna do that (not that its not a bad idea)but just bounce it to a 100 dollar 4 track tape use all 4 channels 2 for left and 2 for right on a metal tape.most have adjustable speeds or a hi fi vcr then run it back to ur computer. that was my option i just dont need to do that anymore.everything should be digital so a great mic pre and mic are your only representatives of voice to the adc's before u cross the digital gates lol
Not a bad idea at all... there is so many ways I can go its almost funny lol... im just not sure witch way I will take ... maybe I should just get a very high end mixer with 4 really clean and crisp channels to run through
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Yeh it all depends on what you wanna spend haha...my goal is to one day get a console that i can run my mixes into (as i have 16 outputs at the moment, but can increase that to 24 outputs). Thats just a dream and my software and pre's will just have to do for now...haha...

Depending on how much you're willing to spend, the Chandler Germanium stuff offer's a pretty different sound...lots of options with those...
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeh it all depends on what you wanna spend haha...my goal is to one day get a console that i can run my mixes into (as i have 16 outputs at the moment, but can increase that to 24 outputs). Thats just a dream and my software and pre's will just have to do for now...haha...

Depending on how much you're willing to spend, the Chandler Germanium stuff offer's a pretty different sound...lots of options with those...
Im so lost now lol
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
ie. there's a LOT of options...you're best off sending it through a pre at this stage, sending it through a desk has its benefits when you start hitting some of the expensive stuff, i.e. a few thousand...not saying you wouldn't get decent results from desks cheaper than that, just that sending it through pre's or outboard at that price will sound better than a desk at that price.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

u dont have a bad sound at all i found that character is what we really need. not total clarity all the old stuff was all harmonic distortion tube mics/pre, tube/british channel gtr amps and reel to reel thats whats missing in all our recordings. i read that the harmonics are 3rd and 5th order harmonics then i thought is that signal riding the sound like a subsonic triad(3 note cord)hmmm making a signal more stimulated?Yuuuuuup! it does logic has a dsp called a energizer it does a similar thing .Synths use filters to add character im sure bass drums and other things are ok it might be the vocals.

the pro really compress everything heavy ill hit u tomar no maybe after xmas when i hear ur joint in the studio ill post a joint i just recorded. its all digital and i love it uad processed of course cant mix without them!
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
ie. there's a LOT of options...you're best off sending it through a pre at this stage, sending it through a desk has its benefits when you start hitting some of the expensive stuff, i.e. a few thousand...not saying you wouldn't get decent results from desks cheaper than that, just that sending it through pre's or outboard at that price will sound better than a desk at that price.
Good info... thanks... I will start checking out some pres
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Now what's a good one for the price lol
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

my choice would be ua twinfinity cause u get a free uad2 solo but thats 800$ at xmas time .unless u hit american musical 233$ for 3 months u still get the card but less then that is the isa one that i have. or look into the tube that come with your presonus and see if it can be upgraded tubes are around 20 bucks ive heard good things about the presonus.keep that and maybe try a new mic the one ur using isnt that popular i never heard anyone using it.i had like ten mics down to four. i had a tLm 103, at4050, gt am61 great tube mic my favorite even my rapper liked it better then my blueberry.i like the bluebird and babybottle better then the blueberry i sold it!

keep the pre change the tube i heard good things about it.man somepeople dont need tubes for there voice lol.

im all solid state now ldc ss mic pre my plug ins are analog.ok my
mic choices bluebird ,at4040 alesis gt60 they dont make the gt am61 anymore .i gave u the mic pres earlier they work well together.i have clients from 9 years ago hunting me down because of my quality and i dont have high end gear i know what im doing
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

sorry nelson one to many nots lol its a good idea, i messed that all upthumbsup
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

they sell racks u can buy with eq compression u never said what daw,plugins ect. all that helps plugin quality is different. my uad blows logic and cubase plugs away far far away i wouldnt not release or let anyone hear my music without them i mean it there special!they allowed me to digital there the truth
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Yeh i agree, the twinfinity with the duo is hard to pass up at this point in time...its a pretty good pre, lots of gain and quiet if you gain stage it right, its also capable of lots of different pallets of colour, and i don't know where i'd be without my UAD plugs...even just the stock ones that come with the card are just great...
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

great singer nelson one thing though ever think about using drum samples.i know u have a drummer but i have a friend in a rock band and there drums never sound big.i do hip hop and r n b and my sampled acoustic drums sound way bigger then there recordings
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeh i agree, the twinfinity with the duo is hard to pass up at this point in time...its a pretty good pre, lots of gain and quiet if you gain stage it right, its also capable of lots of different pallets of colour, and i don't know where i'd be without my UAD plugs...even just the stock ones that come with the card are just great...
Id have to order it by the 31st
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

yup dec 31 american musical 233$ ua have to recieve proof of purchase by jan 20 then they send u the card ill by it for 300 lol
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
my choice would be ua twinfinity cause u get a free uad2 solo but thats 800$ at xmas time .unless u hit american musical 233$ for 3 months u still get the card but less then that is the isa one that i have. or look into the tube that come with your presonus and see if it can be upgraded tubes are around 20 bucks ive heard good things about the presonus.keep that and maybe try a new mic the one ur using isnt that popular i never heard anyone using it.i had like ten mics down to four. i had a tLm 103, at4050, gt am61 great tube mic my favorite even my rapper liked it better then my blueberry.i like the bluebird and babybottle better then the blueberry i sold it!

keep the pre change the tube i heard good things about it.man somepeople dont need tubes for there voice lol.

im all solid state now ldc ss mic pre my plug ins are analog.ok my
mic choices bluebird ,at4040 alesis gt60 they dont make the gt am61 anymore .i gave u the mic pres earlier they work well together.i have clients from 9 years ago hunting me down because of my quality and i dont have high end gear i know what im doing

Ware can I find a good tube for my pre?
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
great singer nelson one thing though ever think about using drum samples.i know u have a drummer but i have a friend in a rock band and there drums never sound big.i do hip hop and r n b and my sampled acoustic drums sound way bigger then there recordings
the stuff on that myspace link is just BFD2 haha...so yeh i use drum samples all the time. i mean its always great to get real drums in there, but its not always a feasible option, and well unless i was lucky that day, i find i'm still cracking out drumagog to blend in some of the BFD sounds with the recorded kit...plus you know, once it hits myspace, all the hard work recording the drums acoustically is lost anyway...
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

there everywhere american musical has gt tubes but i would google upgrade tube for presonus mic pre.that way u can research the best ones plus theres a forum on here about the presonus im sure it will give u the quality u need do a keyword search on here and youll find the forum
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro_Bigdog View Post
Ware can I find a good tube for my pre?
Its just a 12AX7....i.e. the same tube you'd find in a guitar amp...there will be plenty of places, try searching it on the internet, otherwise places that service amps and what not should have a few suppliers...
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

nelson do u recommend a brand ive heard nos are good and i had a gt tube mic i love my brother broke it at his studio damn!
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

i find myself listening to nelsons band something about his singer
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Hey, this thread got loong fast. I hear some pretty mixed takes on the UA twinfinity, though the UAD card might come in handy.

@ Castro A lot of people seem to like the GAP pre 73, and I think it could really kill two birds with one lazer for you. It's a solid preamp that can go from fairly clean to transformer saturation, so you could use it to warm up your mixes or just to get a better signal through initially than what you might be getting with your current preamp. I must qualify all this by saying that I've never used one, but I'm thinking about saving up some money and building a rack of these: SCA Main Product Page, which would include similar preamps. The GAP pre 73 gets a ton of buzz around here.

Your tracks sound pretty hot, sonic character aside
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
the stuff on that myspace link is just BFD2 haha...so yeh i use drum samples all the time. i mean its always great to get real drums in there, but its not always a feasible option, and well unless i was lucky that day, i find i'm still cracking out drumagog to blend in some of the BFD sounds with the recorded kit...plus you know, once it hits myspace, all the hard work recording the drums acoustically is lost anyway...

o ok cool im listening on my laptop so i cant tell

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search