The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building My Home Studio - What can I buy with my remaining $350 Condenser Microphones
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

Question Building My Home Studio - What can I buy with my remaining $350

Right now I have:

Yamaha Audiogram6
MXL 990s (the "S" is very important)
Shure SM58
Yamaha YPG-635
Bose Headphones

Okay - So I am a noob...

My main question is - what should I buy to upgrade my studio with my $350?

Also I have access to Pro Tools/Sonar/Ableton Live/Reason... The software is going to be given to me as a gift - I know that if I use Pro Tools I'll have to buy a new interface though... Is it worth it?

But again - what should I buy with my $350 that will benefit me the most?

As far as monitors I've been looking at Alesis M1 Active m2k Biamp Monitors
Alesis M1 Active mk2 Biamp Monitors at zZounds

# I record Pop/Acoustic stuff. I like to record audio not midi. So I make/play my track. Then I lay down the Vocals. - Singing is my main thing.

Thanks a lot for the replies.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Get this...

Pro Audio DSP

Incredible.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Old 25th December 2010
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

Acoustic Panels! Not the cheap foam stuff. I've built 6 panels for under $100 (rockboard 60 for absorption material, muslin (at .75 a yard) and furring strips for the wood) Putting just a single panel in one of the corners of my room, I noticed a marked inprovement! Then sell those bose headphones, and use that and the rest of you budget to buy some good used monitors (krk 6000's come to mind).
My 2 cents...
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hey bud!

For monitors, the Alesis are very good. Another brand I might recommend is Focal--they just came into the market recently. I work for a car-audio shop in Indianapolis, and we've been selling Focal's car-stuff for years. It it seriously AMAZING stuff (the best car-audio you can buy--seriously. Their Eutopia-Be speakers are state-of-the-art). I went to the Sweetwater GearFest in Indy this year, and I found out that Focal is entering the Pro-Audio market and are making STUDIO monitors. I had a chance to demo some of them--they sounded GREAT (they actually use the same drivers that are in the car-audio speakers we sell). I'd definitely throw that out there--test drive some Focals, they sound great!

And I agree with the above posts, making your room sound nice acoustically is probably the best move you could make. You can have the BEST equipment, but if you're recording in a crappy-sounding room, it can completely ruin your sound. What is the room like that you'll be recording in?

Also, have you considered a mic preamp? I've tried recording into interfaces I've owned in the past (a Lexicon Omega, and my current Focusrite Saffire Pro24), and the mic pres can never fully give my mic the "color" it needs to shine. Something a few gearheads have advised me to do is to buy a mic preamplifier to get some more headroom for my condenser. I'm in the process of getting one right now for my setup--this might be something to consider if you're going to be using your mics frequently!

Good luck on your build!
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Haha, i was gonna mention pre's or microphones...but looking at your list, at this stage monitors are your best bet. (Alesis...also look at some KRKs)

After that later on down the track a GAP pre73

After that an sm7b...

During all of that some sort of room treatment if you're room has any issues. Generally dynamics won't be AS affected by poor room acoustics compared to condensers...i guess thats where the sm7b is great, it sounds pretty much the same no matter what room you're in (within reason). You don't have to go crazy treating a room either...a carefully placed panel (whether its like auralex foam, waves panels, or rigid fibreglass) can do a lot to fix some certain dead spots in the room that are being created by phase cancelling or phase adding...
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

Another vote for room treatment. It's not as glamorous or "fun," but it makes EVERYTHING sound better. Period.

I wish I had treated my rooms sooner.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Room treatment for sure. Getting good mixes on headphones can be tricky. Time to get some studio monitors.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Small but not hyped or boxy or over aggressive (do some research here on GS & more importantly test them by listening to stuff U know well at some gear store) active studio monitors, perhaps used to keep the price down if U can test them first hand and not just by from an ad; and some minimal room/acoustics correction treatment (don't look at or think of sealing your studio from leaking to the "outside world" or from the same world leaking into it - just look at making your room sound a bit more correct or as "un-lying" as possible) for a good start.

Happy Holidays,

A
F
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Parker View Post
Right now I have:

Yamaha Audiogram6
MXL 990s (the "S" is very important)
Shure SM58
Yamaha YPG-635
Bose Headphones

Okay - So I am a noob...

My main question is - what should I buy to upgrade my studio with my $350?

Also I have access to Pro Tools/Sonar/Ableton Live/Reason... The software is going to be given to me as a gift - I know that if I use Pro Tools I'll have to buy a new interface though... Is it worth it?

But again - what should I buy with my $350 that will benefit me the most?

As far as monitors I've been looking at Alesis M1 Active m2k Biamp Monitors
Alesis M1 Active mk2 Biamp Monitors at zZounds

# I record Pop/Acoustic stuff. I like to record audio not midi. So I make/play my track. Then I lay down the Vocals. - Singing is my main thing.

Thanks a lot for the replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchong View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGloriousEnd View Post
Acoustic Panels! Not the cheap foam stuff. I've built 6 panels for under $100 (rockboard 60 for absorption material, muslin (at .75 a yard) and furring strips for the wood) Putting just a single panel in one of the corners of my room, I noticed a marked inprovement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIzzy View Post
And I agree with the above posts, making your room sound nice acoustically is probably the best move you could make. You can have the BEST equipment, but if you're recording in a crappy-sounding room, it can completely ruin your sound. What is the room like that you'll be recording in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacP View Post
Another vote for room treatment. It's not as glamorous or "fun," but it makes EVERYTHING sound better. Period.

I wish I had treated my rooms sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgtrguy View Post
Room treatment for sure. Getting good mixes on headphones can be tricky. Time to get some studio monitors.
I can't believe that this many people on Gearslutz are recommending room treatment to somebody using headphones! If this is what GS has come to, the site is in BIG trouble!
Old 25th December 2010
Acoustic are important but you really need the basics first. Acoustics can be some what controlled with down blankets, or mattress. Buy used, it will save ton!

#1 upgrade that mxl mic!!! Especially if you are focusing on vocals.
(akg c214 $375 new on evilbay, at4040 $300 new)
#2 get some cheap monitors
(m-audio, samson, behringer, etc)

While the mxl might be decent, a mic upgrade will put you into another class soundwise.

later,

scott
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
I can't believe that this many people on Gearslutz are recommending room treatment to somebody using headphones! If this is what GS has come to, the site is in BIG trouble!
Acoustic treatment also helps when recording vocals/instruments, plus he states that he's looking for monitors..
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchong View Post
Acoustic treatment also helps when recording vocals/instruments, plus he states that he's looking for monitors..
With the $350 dollars though! $240 + $40 for moPads and $30 for decent balanced cables and you're going to buy what acoustic treatment with $40?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Oh, I didnt know all he was going to do was listen. In most studios Ive read about and seen, they record things, things that make sound. His audio recordings will benefit more from room treatment then they will from any monitors.

For $100 you should be able to track down some 6 slabs of 2" Owen Cornings 703, fabric to cover it all, and a creative way to mount them.

I honestly think this will benefit you the most. Why? Because everything depends on the source, which will be the room that you record and make music in. Also, the majority of gear you buy after you treat your room will benefit from the treatment.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
With the $350 dollars though! $240 + $40 for moPads and $30 for decent balanced cables and you're going to buy what acoustic treatment with $40?
I paid around $30 per bundle of 6 2'x4'x2" panels of Roxul Rockboard 60, I see it online for $50. Muslin to cover it was really cheap as well. If he looked hard enough, he could do it for $40..

He could get by using one bundle and a few yards of muslin to make gobo type deals he could move around depending on if he was tracking or mixing.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGloriousEnd View Post
Acoustic Panels! Not the cheap foam stuff. I've built 6 panels for under $100 (rockboard 60 for absorption material, muslin (at .75 a yard) and furring strips for the wood) Putting just a single panel in one of the corners of my room, I noticed a marked inprovement! Then sell those bose headphones, and use that and the rest of you budget to buy some good used monitors (krk 6000's come to mind).
My 2 cents...
+1 !!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search