The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alctron AT-400? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Alctron AT-400?

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about the Alctron ATM-400 preamp?

Is this starved plate?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

...I've been requesting this info from KAM Instruments as they sell the same preamp...they cannot confirm starved plate or otherwise...I suspect SP is what's going on here...
KAM Silver Bullet Microphone & Instrument Tube Pre-Amp - eBay (item 320633036975 end time Dec-26-10 19:30:42 PST)
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...I've been requesting this info from KAM Instruments as they sell the same preamp...they cannot confirm starved plate or otherwise...I suspect SP is what's going on here...
KAM Silver Bullet Microphone & Instrument Tube Pre-Amp - eBay (item 320633036975 end time Dec-26-10 19:30:42 PST)
I have ask kam the same thing as i am very interested in the silver bullet and he has said to me and i Quote " In his experience he has found that starved plate is just a term that people use to say that one tube pre is better than another" Meaning that starved plate doesn't exist.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

and can someone please tell me how they have the same design and everything else but have different names and there be no legal issues there or am i just blind?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

...Alctron is a distribution company repping a group of Chinese manufacturers...they probably supply KAM with the product under their own brand...as far as I've seen, nobody sells the "Alctron" house brand here in the US, while it's available in Europe...

http://www.alctron-audio.com/enindex.asp
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

That makes sense thanks for the response any thoughts on what kam had said to me about there being no such thing as a starved plate?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmatt View Post
That makes sense thanks for the response any thoughts on what kam had said to me about there being no such thing as a starved plate?
...the general assumption is, if you "dial in" tube sound, then it's most likely a "starved-plate" circuit...to simplify, starved-plate circuits run relatively low voltages (9-12V sometimes) thru the tube, while true tube circuitry runs high voltage (hundreds of volts depending on the tube and circuit) thru the tube...many guitar distortion pedals have incorporated this starved-plate design for years...

...an example of true high voltage (200 volts) tube circuit preamp is the Electro-Harmonix 12AY7 Mic Pre:
EHX.com | 12AY7 Mic Pre - Class A Tube Microphone Preamp | Electro-Harmonix

...the Studio Projects VTB-1, on the other hand, is a starved-plate design:
VTB1 - Single-Channel Tube Blend Mic Preamp
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

So is it fair to say that it does exist and that a true tube is better than a starved plate?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
So is it fair to say that it does exist and that a true tube is better than a starved plate?
...it does exist and in some applications it can work well (guitar pedals)...IMHO, for a mic preamp it's more of a novelty...high end tube preamps generally incorporate true high voltage tube circuits...like a well designed transformer-based circuit, a tube design offers certain characteristics...for more info, scroll down to the section entitled "Tubes vs. Solid State Preamps" on this site:
Preamp: Buying Guide
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...it does exist and in some applications it can work well (guitar pedals)...IMHO, for a mic preamp it's more of a novelty...high end tube preamps generally incorporate true high voltage tube circuits...like a well designed transformer-based circuit, a tube design offers certain characteristics...for more info, scroll down to the section entitled "Tubes vs. Solid State Preamps" on this site:
Preamp: Buying Guide

I can't thank you enough for your wisdom and for clearing the way for me. it all makes sense now.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't thank you enough for your wisdom and for clearing the way for me. it all makes sense now.
...glad I could help...
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

"dial-in" tube doesn't always been starved plate - the Summit 2ba-221 is full voltage and you dial in the tube on the output stage. I think the UA 710 is similar, but not sure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search