The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

pretty close to a standard condenser - I've tried to run it straight into the 651 and it's a little too quiet on it's own, making me push the input and output on the 651 to where it's also adding noise. If there was a way of pushing more signal out of the Genesis without increasing the noise, that would be swell too.

Does the CM-6 need a bunch of gain?
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeng View Post
pretty close to a standard condenser - I've tried to run it straight into the 651 and it's a little too quiet on it's own, making me push the input and output on the 651 to where it's also adding noise. If there was a way of pushing more signal out of the Genesis without increasing the noise, that would be swell too.

That's a no. It's very sensative and more than likely the reason there's not much noise from what I've heard. Normally anything 18 or under is what I look for. I have mine into a DMP3, which I have on the low setting and it's only about halfway up, if that gives you any indication. When I was recording my wife, who has a quiet voice, it was tracking at -10dB in the DAW easily at that gain setting. (into an Alesis multimix w/ Producer 4).
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

thanks for the input, mhs2xs.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks for the input, mhs2xs.
Anytime...you think you're gonna get one? I don't believe you'd be disappointed. But if you still want to wait for more info and clips, I don't blame you. After hearing the clips coming in though, I'm glad I got my matched (as close as they can be anyway) pair and didn't spring for the other brands I was considering.

Another big Hoorah for kidvybes.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Nut

Hey!

Go to page 8 to see two vocal clips that were taken using the CM-6 ... Me and some other guy's clips are there. Showing what the CM-6 is all about haha

Just in case you skipped the clips.

P.S. - Still lovin' this mic heh
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

No Not at all. I find that 25 DB of gain to be planty.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

I've been emailing Peter to try and find out some more specs on his mic and he hasn't replied to one of my emails!
Doesn't really fill me with a lot of confidence buying a product from someone who I can't communicate with!
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Head

Lack of email from Peter

DF,
I've traded several emails with Peter, but that was inside the eBay message system, and, who knows, maybe my $350 freed up his writing skills quite a bit? (Actually, $315, had a 10% off coupon).

I don't know what the specs are on the mic, but I know what my ears have told me so far. I made my living by singing for many years. So I kinda know at least a little about microphones. But the vagaries of musical life have me reading Low End Theory late at night just like everybody else, looking for a bargain.

I'm not rich, and certainly not famous but I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful vintage U67, which I would not use for everyday stuff like songwriting demos, or having buddies over to sing. So I needed something I could afford, that hopefully sounded good right out of the box, and I luckily found this thread, and thanks to Kidvybes, Dave from JJ, and Peter I now own the mic, and I think it's REALLY good. I sent a clip of me singing with it to my best friend and guitar player for over 30 years, who has sat in the control room of lots of studios and listened to my voice over and over while laying down tracks and HE thinks the mic is amazingly good.

Is it a Neumann? No. Will it crap out in 6 months? I have no idea. But I do know this, I used it on a Sunday morning, with a bit of a hangover, after having got up at 5:30am so I could watch Manchester United, plugged into a Focusrite that still confuses me and Sonar X1 which I've only owned for about 3 weeks. That's a recipe for disaster, and the CM-6 still came through.

I think you're safe buying one. Might be the best $350 I've spent in a long time.

Not associated with Stellar or anything, just a, so far, satisfied customer.

MLS

just waiting for my Valvo E80F to arrive and see how it sounds then....(that 10% I saved with the coupon turned out to be exactly the price of the Valvo!)
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post
I think you're safe buying one. Might be the best $350 I've spent in a long time.

just waiting for my Valvo E80F to arrive and see how it sounds then....(that 10% I saved with the coupon turned out to be exactly the price of the Valvo!)

Michael,
From where did you get your tube? I need to find a matched pair.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
DF,
I've traded several emails with Peter, but that was inside the eBay message system
I've tried to contact him via both the eBay message system and private email a few times and have never had a reply!?
What I wanted to find out was some more detailed specs on the CM-6
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I've been emailing Peter to try and find out some more specs on his mic and he hasn't replied to one of my emails!
Doesn't really fill me with a lot of confidence buying a product from someone who I can't communicate with!
DFunk,
I sent a few emails as well, but decided to go w/ kidvybes assessment and just get it after a day w/ no response. Peter answered the emails that counted, and all indications are, he's by himself and he's swamped. I don't know what to tell you, other than you may have to just go for it if you want to get one. Specs and response plots may be forthcoming, I don't know, but the clips are what tell the story to me. Not to mention the fact that Peter got me two closely matched ones, which I would think would be near impossible to do with any other tube mic in this price range unless you just got lucky. I get aggravated when I get no response from someone as well, but I think all of us that own the CM-6 would say, it's a most worthy mic.

Kidvybes and mdemesmin1 are pros that know what they're talking about, and know good mics. For them to be recommending it, was reason enough for me. I don't trust too many people around here, but them, I do.

Hope you can get one soon and see for yourself, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Cheers!
Mitchell

Edit: Did you see the one response plot kidvybes put up in the other thread?
Edit2: I just looked and couldn't find it...kidvybes, could please link or repost the plot in this thread? Thank you sir.
Old 13th January 2011
Quote:
I've tried to contact him via both the eBay message system and private email a few times and have never had a reply!?
What I wanted to find out was some more detailed specs on the CM-6
What more details do you need? All the mic has been posted on this and the previous thread that was shut down.

Unless.... your looking for self noise. That would be a good thing to know and maybe even a frequency response graph (but that doesn't tell you how it's gonna sound

Quote:
Is it a Neumann? No. Will it crap out in 6 months? I have no idea. But I do know this, I used it on a Sunday morning, with a bit of a hangover, after having got up at 5:30am so I could watch Manchester United, plugged into a Focusrite that still confuses me and Sonar X1 which I've only owned for about 3 weeks. That's a recipe for disaster, and the CM-6 still came through.
While as much as I love a Neumann, there are plenty great alternatives. Still, the U87 on a Neve pre is just so beautiful sounding... I want one now

But I won't get one. Their too expensive.tutt (don't tell the guys in Highend I said that....).
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

I would like to know the self noise of this mic.

Also, I already own an SE Electronics SE2200T tube mic and I'm wondering what the Stellar CM-6 would give me (apart from different patterns) that my SE2200T doesn't?
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would like to know the self noise of this mic.

Also, I already own an SE Electronics SE2200T tube mic and I'm wondering what the Stellar CM-6 would give me (apart from different patterns) that my SE2200T doesn't?
...d-funk...the noise levels on this mic are relatively low, as others have confirmed, and as I responded to your other request, while I never used the sE 2200T, I have used both the sE Z5600A and the Gemini (higher models in the sE line) and the CM-6 is IMHO, preferable to either of those tube mics (less sibilant and more balanced sounding)...

...I spoke with Peter last night in reference to the Stellar C12 prototypes I will be auditioning...he's been swamped with questions and inquiries about the CM-6 as well as occupied burning in the units that have been already sold, and he's been busy negotiating with the Chinese factory, since they are about to close for the Chinese New Year...he expects to be caught up in a day or two...I will request he that he look for your emails...a new auction with additional CM-6 mics should be up shortly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
Edit: Did you see the one response plot kidvybes put up in the other thread?
Edit2: I just looked and couldn't find it...kidvybes, could please link or repost the plot in this thread? Thank you sir.
...charts comparing the CM-6 to the JJ Audio Modded V67G (a great sounding FET mic) can be found here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6118846-post4.html
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...d-funk, I own both the CM-47 and the CM-6...while they both use the same capsule and transformer, they are "voiced" differently...neither has a problem with sibilance...the CM-47 uses a circuit design that feeds the input thru one element of the 6072 triode tube and then the output uses the other tube element to feed the transformer...this results in a thicker, slightly darker voicing that I believe Dave Thomas was shooting for...the CM-6 uses a simpler, more direct plate-follower EF86 circuit and it has a less colored voicing, IMHO...more natural and clearer...while I love the CM-47 for certain lead vocal duties, I feel the CM-6 may be a bit more versatile, as it's voicing is more natural/neutral...say, for instance, if you were stacking multiple background harmonies, the CM-6 would be my choice...and, if you take advantage of the CM-6's very useable proximity effect (as I demonstrated in the first vocal file I posted) you get a bit of a similar effect to the CM-47's voicing for lead vocals...I'm sorry if I keep choosing the CM-6, but again, at this price, the choice becomes quite obvious...YMMV

...check you PM for Peter's direct email address...
Do you have any idea as to how the AIR Swordfish would compare in tone?
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have any idea as to how the AIR Swordfish would compare in tone?
...I do not...
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ok thanks. How about the Peluso 2247?
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
...are you seriously considering the $1200 2247?...read this thread again, along with the "pre-modded" thread, as I've addressed the comparison...
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Head

Fee Waybill and the TUBES

Quote:

Michael,
From where did you get your tube? I need to find a matched pair.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Mitchell, I got mine off eBay. Here's the one I got, specs look good, and seller has huge favorable rating, so hopefully it's a good'un.

Valvo E80F tube, Gold pin, Red label, NOS (EF86 sub) - eBay (item 380279456634 end time Jan-12-11 00:14:12 PST)

There are several "pairs" of E80Fs on ebay right now, but only this one claims to be a *matched* pair, however his info is extremely skimpy as to thier lineage. BUT, he does have HUGE positive feedback. Might want to write and ask him a few questions. Good luck!

NOS E80F USA made matched pair 6084 tube for EF86 - eBay (item 200522789849 end time Jan-20-11 22:00:33 PST)

MLS
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are several "pairs" of E80Fs on ebay right now, but only this one claims to be a *matched* pair, however his info is extremely skimpy as to thier lineage. BUT, he does have HUGE positive feedback. Might want to write and ask him a few questions. Good luck!

NOS E80F USA made matched pair 6084 tube for EF86 - eBay (item 200522789849 end time Jan-20-11 22:00:33 PST)

MLS
...actually, Mitchell already asked me about those two tubes and I advised against them...two problems:
1. they are not the long body, pinched-waist type of E80F/6084 manufactured by Valvo/Amperex (like you purchased)
2. they have no brand markings at all and claim USA origin (?)

...I'm guessing, but I think they are a re-issue EF86 tubes branded to sell as an E80F...be wary...

...more info here: http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/images/Fakes/index.htm
...scroll down to: "E80F TELEFUNKEN" (sounds very similar)
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are hard work surely!

I remember you was like this with the pre73 so much hesitation lol!
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's the same quick release as the OnStage, so you know. The black one (OnStage QK2B) also comes in Chrome (QK2C) whick is the same as the Atlas at B&H that you're looking at.

Amazon.com: On Stage QK2C Microphone Clip Quick Release, Chrome: Musical Instruments

So just find the best price on either one. It'll be the same piece.

Cheers!
Mitchell

Edit: Just saw another..WindTech.
WindTech QC-2 Microphone Quick-Release (Chrome) QC-2 B&H Photo
I don't know those brands, nor those products. Is this the exact same item, just rebranded? Because the price goes from simple (OnStage) to double (Atlas)!
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
...are you seriously considering the $1200 2247?...read this thread again, along with the "pre-modded" thread, as I've addressed the comparison...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
You are hard work surely!

I remember you was like this with the pre73 so much hesitation lol!
Ok fair enough. I'm just trying to explore all the options I as I don't want to buy a mic from the US and find I don't like it and have to send it back again.

Obviously $350 is preferable to $1200 but I was wondering why the Peluso costs so much more?

The vocalist I'm working with has quite a harsh sibilant sound when she is belting it so maybe the Advanced Audio CM47 may be more suitable?

May have to get both of them here to try!

Before I do is Peter working on any improvements for the CM-6?
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
...actually, Mitchell already asked me about those two tubes and I advised against them...two problems:
1. they are not the long body, pinched-waist type of E80F/6084 manufactured by Valvo/Amperex (like you purchased)
2. they have no brand markings at all and claim USA origin (?)

...I'm guessing, but I think they are a re-issue EF86 tubes branded to sell as an E80F...be wary...

...more info here: FAKE TUBES LIKE ECC803S and others
...scroll down to: "E80F TELEFUNKEN" (sounds very similar)
kidvybes,
Thanks for answering for me. Yeah, I'm a bit leary of any of the tubes defined as "matched pair" on eBay. Since some of the them, the only thing that matches is the manufacturer and model from some of the photos. I'll be calling the number you gave me today to check on those as well as inquire about the Amperex ones you sent. And thanks for that link, had not heard that one. People will go a long way to fake something, won't they?

Michael,
Thanks for the info. As kid said, I've been scouring a bit for these and he steered me away from those already. The guy you got yours from has no way to test for matches, and when I emailed him two weeks ago, he was almost out anyway. I appreciate the heads up though. If I can't find a matched set, it's not the end of the world. The Tungsol in them is fine if I needed to use the pair. If I just end up getting singles, I may luck out and they'll sound close enough, if not, I'll just track w/ one when I put the NOS tube in.

Thanks again gentlemen,
Mitchell
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
I don't know those brands, nor those products. Is this the exact same item, just rebranded? Because the price goes from simple (OnStage) to double (Atlas)!
Yes, same item.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
As kid said. I was headed down this road and glad he posted a detour. I have two for WAY less than the price of one on this particular brand/model.

Cheers DFunk!
Mitchell
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Head

Probably wanna skip the CM-6 then...

Quote:
Ok fair enough. I'm just trying to explore all the options I as I don't want to buy a mic from the US and find I don't like it and have to send it back again.

Obviously $350 is preferable to $1200 but I was wondering why the Peluso costs so much more?

The vocalist I'm working with has quite a harsh sibilant sound when she is belting it so maybe the Advanced Audio CM47 may be more suitable?

May have to get both of them here to try!

Before I do is Peter working on any improvements for the CM-6?
You'll probably want to skip the CM-6 for that vocalist then.

I'm a vocalist myself, and the reason I'm digging the CM-6 is that it records my voice EXACTLY as it sounds. I don't hear any *bumps* or *warmth* or *high end sheen*...I hear me. And that's exactly what I WANT it to do.

If you've got a harshly sibilant singer, you're gonna have an amazingly accurate track full of harsh sibilance when you're done.

MLS
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You'll probably want to skip the CM-6 for that vocalist then.

I'm a vocalist myself, and the reason I'm digging the CM-6 is that it records my voice EXACTLY as it sounds. I don't hear any *bumps* or *warmth* or *high end sheen*...I hear me. And that's exactly what I WANT it to do.

If you've got a harshly sibilant singer, you're gonna have an amazingly accurate track full of harsh sibilance when you're done.

MLS
...agreed!...better yet, get a CM-6 and then, get a new singer...heh
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
If her sibilance is that bad, you might want to switch to a ribbon mike. Or mike with both a ribbon and a condenser, fading between the two with more ribbon on the "belted" parts and more condenser on the normally sung parts.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Dickie - I can't see how a tube mic is gonna tame sibilance. Have you tried the "rubberbanding a pencil to the mic trick"? I've personally have a sibilance problem and once I decided the problem was ME and not the mics, I started training myself to lower my "s"-appeal. I started focusing on singing softer "s"ses and "t"s and sometimes even substituting "s" with "z". It really frees up the mic to deliver detail. You also may just wanna try an old DBX263 de-esser. They're usually pretty cheap (don't know about Europe tho).
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search