The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post
Gents,
Check my earlier post #202 in the thread for particulars on how this was recorded. Listening back to the mp3 I attached, I was appalled at the snap,crackle and pop on it, although I had done everything according to the instructions in Sonar X1 to make it.

A thorough reading of some Cakewalk forums and I took some of the posters advice and did it their way rather than the Cakewalk way. I think this one is much better and hopefully gives a clearer idea of how the CM-6 sounds in my environment, which is admittedly less than optimal!

MLS
That does sound much better than your original post.
Good singing too BTW.

Not familiar w/ X1, I use XL and Producer 4.

Here's my procedure:
Highlight the track(s) I want to export
Pick File, Export Audio and set to 48/24 WAV.
Exit Cakewalk

I then bring the WAV up in Audacitiy, just to give it a listen, and then export to an MP3 (use latest Lame.dll encoder) from there.

It may be the MP3 encoder in X1 is choking for some reason.
Audacity is free and works well for general audio utility stuff.

Try that and see if it works any better for you.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Head

If you guys are in need of a large boom or room mic stand, the Samson SB100 is a steal for what you get. I've found them as low as $99 delivered!, which is crazy, considering the weight. The only thing I upgraded on the stand is the wing nut tightener for the large boom. These things go HIGH, and can boom out really far with the counterweight.
Buying one of these back in the day was easily $600, if not over a grand.
I have one set up for a mono OH for drums, another for a room mic about 15 feet high, and another for video cameras with a fisheye lens, also about 15 feet up.
a SMOKING deal, and the wheels come off, if it will just be stationary.
If you're doing drums, want a beefy stand for vox or need a room mic up high, get one or two of these.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vault View Post
If you guys are in need of a large boom or room mic stand, the Samson SB100 is a steal for what you get. I've found them as low as $99 delivered!, which is crazy, considering the weight. The only thing I upgraded on the stand is the wing nut tightener for the large boom. These things go HIGH, and can boom out really far with the counterweight.
Buying one of these back in the day was easily $600, if not over a grand.
I have one set up for a mono OH for drums, another for a room mic about 15 feet high, and another for video cameras with a fisheye lens, also about 15 feet up.
a SMOKING deal, and the wheels come off, if it will just be stationary.
If you're doing drums, want a beefy stand for vox or need a room mic up high, get one or two of these.
I always wondered about those. Do you have one? If so, what diameter are the wheels at, just an approximate is fine. I couldn't find any on that, just the heights.

Thanks,
Mitchell
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Head

I bought this boom stand On-Stage SMS7650 Studio Boom Microphone Stand at zZounds just before Christmas. It's ultra heavy duty, has 2 pieces for the boom (I only needed one for my room but you can make a realllly long boom with both) and the joint at the part that raises and lowers the boom as well as the final extension part that screws to the shock mount have steel teeth that interlock, making a really sturdy and immoveable lock down. Wheels can be locked as well, the counterweight and the base are super heavy. This things not gonna tip over. Assembly took about 20 minutes.

I've seen it other places for $169 so this is $50 off plus free shipping, even though the box weighs 50 pounds. I actually got it 3 days after I ordered it, all the way out to Los Angeles.

Not affiliated with zzounds, just a happy consumer, I give them and the product high marks.

MLS
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I bought this boom stand On-Stage SMS7650 Studio Boom Microphone Stand at zZounds just before Christmas. It's ultra heavy duty, has 2 pieces for the boom (I only needed one for my room but you can make a realllly long boom with both) and the joint at the part that raises and lowers the boom as well as the final extension part that screws to the shock mount have steel teeth that interlock, making a really sturdy and immoveable lock down. Wheels can be locked as well, the counterweight and the base are super heavy. This things not gonna tip over. Assembly took about 20 minutes.

I've seen it other places for $169 so this is $50 off plus free shipping, even though the box weighs 50 pounds. I actually got it 3 days after I ordered it, all the way out to Los Angeles.

Not affiliated with zzounds, just a happy consumer, I give them and the product high marks.

MLS
I looked at that one for a while too. A friend of mine has 4 in his studio. For 120, you can't beat that.
AMS has it for that price too.

I found my first MC-125 at Hudson's. Got it for 60 bucks, what a steal. New, still in the styrofoam, but the box was gone. The next one I got from GC on a price match of $150. Either of these two booms are the best in my opinion. Everthing works nice and smooth. But we derail once again.

Cheers Michael!
Mitchell
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Head

That On-Stage one looks nice too, how high does that one go? and is it solid when extended?

I bought 3 of the Samson's, not as solid as those $1000 star stands, but it really does the trick for getting up high...either one of these are a MUST for drum OH's , imo.

Oh, the wheels on the Samson are about 3", roughly.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vault View Post
That On-Stage one looks nice too, how high does that one go? and is it solid when extended?

I bought 3 of the Samson's, not as solid as those $1000 star stands, but it really does the trick for getting up high...either one of these are a MUST for drum OH's , imo.

Oh, the wheels on the Samson are about 3", roughly.
Sorry, I meant the diameter of the base at the wheels. And yeah, I'm NOT gonna pay a grand for a stand. No matter how nice. I'd put that money in a mic and hang it with a rope if I had to....heh

I'm sure the wheels on a 12" radius at least on that Samson. So 24" footprint I'm thinking, from the looks of it.
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:

MLS
it is 160+ again
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo95 View Post
it is 160+ again
Really? I just clicked on the link in my post, and put it in the cart also, to be sure, and it's $119 with free shipping when I try it...
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Head

Getting back to talking about the CM-6

Just to get back on track, here is the same *improved* mp3 I posted the other day, but I put a tiny touch of virtual tube compressor on it, and a little reverb, to show how the CM-6 sound holds up when you play with it.

Also, I wonder if anyone else has noticed that the circumferential metal bar on the mesh covers a full 1/3 of the capsule when you sing into it? I noticed it because I had the mic on the boom and there was a strong light behind it, so it was plainly visible. Wonder if that is part of the intended design or would this mic sound even better with nothing in the way of the capsule?

MLS
Attached Files
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, I wonder if anyone else has noticed that the circumferential metal bar on the mesh covers a full 1/3 of the capsule when you sing into it? I noticed it because I had the mic on the boom and there was a strong light behind it, so it was plainly visible. Wonder if that is part of the intended design or would this mic sound even better with nothing in the way of the capsule?

MLS
...yes, of course...that capsule-to-grill configuration was intentional and recreates a similar setup on the original Neumann U47...the crossbar intersecting the capsule's exposure is believed to reduce sibilance on vocal tracks...people have tried to achieve similar results by using a rubberband to hold a pencil across a mic's grill to diminish sibilance...

...and your vocal track sounds great!...nicely done...
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...yes, of course...that capsule-to-grill configuration was intentional and recreates a similar setup on the original Neumann U47...the crossbar intersecting the capsule's exposure is believed to reduce sibilance on vocal tracks...people have tried to achieve similar results by using a rubberband to hold a pencil across a mic's grill to diminish sibilance...

...and your vocal track sounds great!...nicely done...
I noticed that right off as well and, as soon as I looked closer at a U47 pic, I saw why it was done that way. I figured it was designed that way for a reason. Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

I hope the next batch arrives soon. :-)
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedog View Post
I hope the next batch arrives soon. :-)
Peter is working on more CM-6 he have more coming. He been extremly busy he should have more mics ready to ship by next week.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Michael Lee Great voice man!! The CM-6 really fit your tone well, good choice.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks to Kidvybes and mdemesmim for the info!
I seriously appreciate GS. It used to be a frustration, now it's fun.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!

Same here I never posted on GS because of all the off topic BS that would go on Here. Now I find it to be a great place to network and learn about new gear, also help gearheads such as myself in any way posible.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Addict

Michael,

Great singing! Thanks for channelling the greatness of Major Lance, I'm old enough to remember the original from the 1960s and hearing it played on WLS in Chicago.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Nut

ME SINGING ON THE CM-6 - Dry/Raw

This is me singing the song September - Written by Chris Daughtry. Completely untreated room, completely raw, first take... etc. (no excuses though - not for me or my cm-6)

Hope this helps answer some questions. I'll post another song up here in a little bit... One of a different style.

Peace,
Dirk P.

p.s. the next thing is gonna be more Pop-ish. Just so people can here if there is a difference when i change the tone of my singing (?) ... idk

Oh and just saying - I'm only 17 so I don't have the kind of money to spend on mics with a higher price - this mic is perfect for me :D
Attached Files

September.wav (7.97 MB, 1118 views)

Last edited by Dirk Parker; 11th January 2011 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: I do what I want.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Parker View Post
This is me singing the song September - Written by Chris Daughtry. Completely untreated room, completely raw, first take... etc. (no excuses though - not for me or my cm-6)

Oh and just saying - I'm only 17 so I don't have the kind of money to spend on mics with a higher price - this mic is perfect for me :D
Dirk...for a 17 year old, you've got some pipes!...great range and power...sounds good...you just need to learn how the work the mic, since your voice displays such dynamic range...keep up the good works!...Musical Blessings
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Dirk Parker You are unbelievable WOW!!!!! Keep it up.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Have anyone else tryed other NOS tubes in the CM-6 yet? If so please share your opinions on the improvement of sound if any with us thanks.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemesmin1 View Post
Have anyone else tryed other NOS tubes in the CM-6 yet? If so please share your opinions on the improvement of sound if any with us thanks.
I'm buying a vintage Valvo for my CM-6 , just to see what kind of difference it makes, but I gotta say it sounds rich and smooth as is...I burned in the Tung-Sol tube that comes with it for an extra 2 days before I used mine the first time...
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
Dirk...for a 17 year old, you've got some pipes!...great range and power...sounds good...you just need to learn how the work the mic, since your voice displays such dynamic range...keep up the good works!...Musical Blessings
Thanks. Yeah, working the mic is really hard. But I'll learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemesmin1 View Post
Dirk Parker You are unbelievable WOW!!!!! Keep it up.
Haha thanks I try. lol.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Parker View Post

Hope this helps answer some questions. I'll post another song up here in a little bit... One of a different style.

Peace,
Dirk P.

p.s. the next thing is gonna be more Pop-ish. Just so people can here if there is a difference when i change the tone of my singing (?) ... idk

Great job Dirk!
You ever try any Myles Kennedy (Alter Bridge)?
Your voice sounds a bit like his.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hey kidvybes - do you know what the noise floor is on this mic? I'm battling noise on a Genesis right now (spec sheet says 18dBA) and looking for something quieter, or a mod to bring down the noise.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeng View Post
Hey kidvybes - do you know what the noise floor is on this mic? I'm battling noise on a Genesis right now (spec sheet says 18dBA) and looking for something quieter, or a mod to bring down the noise.
I know you asked kidvybes, but I'll chime in too if it's ok.

Comparing it to my AT4050, which is spec'd a -17dB, it does appear to be a little quieter, but not by much at the time I was paying attention. That's just my ears though. If the Genesis is -18 and you're having issues, I'm not sure the CM-6 is necessarily much less than that. But again, that's just me speculating. Either that or your Genesis is out of spec. What is your chain if I may ask?

Cheers!
Mitchell

Also, the AA CM-47 is rated at -17dB (A weight), for the record. If I was guessing, I'd say the CM-6 is within a dB or so of that.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
...I passed your mod question along to Jim at JJ Audio...as far as the CM-6, I don't have any specific noise figures (since this is a modded product, not a stock OEM product), but I can tell you that it's not at all noisey in my experience...other CM-6 users have posted similar thoughts as to the CM-6's low noise response...the CM-6 has a slightly high capsule voltage (70V+) which results in a higher sensitivity, and therefore takes a bit less preamp gain to get good levels (more voltage may mean more sensitivity resulting in a higher signal/noise ratio)...I'm not entirely sure if that influences noise levels, but I don't detect any noticeable noise in my tracks...but 18dBA isn't terribly high, so your issue may other than what should be the normal specs on your mic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
Also, the AA CM-47 is rated at -17dB (A weight), for the record. If I was guessing, I'd say the CM-6 is within a dB or so of that.
...the CM-6 uses a simple single stage plate-follower EF86 circuit, where the CM-47 uses a two stage (with secondary cathode-follower) 6072 based circuit...when David Bock upgraded his original U95 mic (with the more costly U95S), he replaced the original U95's 6072 triode circuit with an EF86 pentode-wired-as-a-triode circuit for the U95S, resulting in more linear performance specs...
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

thanks for helping, guys. My chain (if using the Genesis) would be into either a Summit 2ba-221 or a GAP Pre73, then a modded Aphex 651. Also been trying it on a modded Art Pro Channel I just got back from audioproz (turned it into a real nice unit). It's such a bright mic for a tube, I may just relent and use a lo-pass filter on it and see if that helps. Just seems like since the power supply is in the circuit, (and it IS chinese - yes, I said it) that maybe upgrading some bits inside may transform this into the mic it wants to be.

Sorry to hijack the thread! Still way interested in the Stellar - I emailed Peter for details on his ribbon mics but he hasn't gotten back to me.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks for helping, guys. My chain (if using the Genesis) would be into either a Summit 2ba-221 or a GAP Pre73, then a modded Aphex 651.
...just curious...what gain level does the Genesis require from your mic pre?...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search