The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...OK...here's another quick vocal snippet...this time it's a female vocalist with a very broad dynamic range...once again, this is a raw, untreated file...recorded about 1 to 2 feet from the CM-6...the second file is the same vocal with just a touch of treatment...this is vocalist Jesse Kussack...
Which preamp did you use for this vocal take?
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
...yes, I do...when the mic is simply powered up by itself, it rarely gets very warm...but when I drive it with a preamp, it warms up nicely...I'm guessing either will achieve "burn in", but driving the PSU with a mic pre seems to ensure a more thorough process...

The transformer is actually being "burned in" as well. You are establishing the transformers electromagnetic field and proper load as you would when recording.

Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
...yes, I do...when the mic is simply powered up by itself, it rarely gets very warm...but when I drive it with a preamp, it warms up nicely...I'm guessing either will achieve "burn in", but driving the PSU with a mic pre seems to ensure a more thorough process...
OK...Gain increased...Thanks man. Have a good day.

Mitchell
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post
The transformer is actually being "burned in" as well. You are establishing the transformers electromagnetic field and proper load as you would when recording.

Thanks Jim.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Which preamp did you use for this vocal take?
...that one was: Stellar CM-6 > Great River ME-1NV > Echo AudioFire > DAW
Old 7th January 2011
Here for the gear
I ususally just lurk around here, but I bought one of these and figured I'd respond with my thoughts.

First, some background since no one here knows me. I've played guitar for 20 or so years and been recording for 15 or so. I started on a 4 track cassette, moved up to an 8 track cassette and then started doing some professional engineering (nothing great, just enough to augment my meager band and waiter income) back in the mid to late 1990s. In this time frame, I used a lot of different mics, some good, some bad, some expensive, some cheap. I went back to school and got out of recording for awhile. After graduating a few years ago and landing a job that pays OK, I started putting together a home studio. I've been buying bits and pieces for awhile, but I've needed a main vocal mic and was really wanting a tube mic. (I have a tube fetish that is the result of playing guitar for 20-odd years.) However, I was not thrilled with the ususal low end suspects from MXL, etc. I got an X-mas bonus, saw this posting and was totally tempted. Dave Thomas's post convinced me, as I am familiar with his work through friends owning mics of his.

Anywho, mic arrived yesterday and I burned it in for about 6 hours until the suspense killed me and I had to check it out. I hooked it up the GAP73 and damn, this mic sounds really good stock. I mean, super nice. I've only done some speaking tests of my voice and I had my girlfriend talk into it awhile while I played with preamp settings, but I can say from that limited experience, I've never personally owned a mic that sounds this nice. In fact, I've spent more for worse sounding mics. I'll be giving it a better work out this weekend after it burns somemore and hope to try it on some guitars (acoustic and electric), but my initial impressions from just the speaking test are very favorable. And I got it for $350! Pinch me.

As far as mods go, I will say that so far it sounds just fine without them. I have a slightly used Mullard Ef 86 somewhere that I need to dig up and put in there. I may change the transformer, not because I think it needs it per se, but because I want the experience in working on a mic and that seems like a good project.

Anyway, I'll try to remember to report back after I've played with it some more, but so far, I'm impressed, given the insanely cheap price I paid for it.

And before anyone jumps on me for offering an opinion before truly hearing the mic, let me just say this: I've spoken into dozens of different mics in my life. When you speak into a really nice sounding mic, you hear it instantly. That happened here. That hasn't happened with any other mic I presently own (Various MXLs, Rodes, Shures, and Groove Tubes), and it hasn't happened since I worked in a professional studio.

My .02 cents.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djork View Post
Anywho, mic arrived yesterday and I burned it in for about 6 hours until the suspense killed me and I had to check it out. I hooked it up the GAP73 and damn, this mic sounds really good stock. I mean, super nice. I've only done some speaking tests of my voice and I had my girlfriend talk into it awhile while I played with preamp settings, but I can say from that limited experience, I've never personally owned a mic that sounds this nice. In fact, I've spent more for worse sounding mics. I'll be giving it a better work out this weekend after it burns somemore and hope to try it on some guitars (acoustic and electric), but my initial impressions from just the speaking test are very favorable. And I got it for $350! Pinch me.

And before anyone jumps on me for offering an opinion before truly hearing the mic, let me just say this: I've spoken into dozens of different mics in my life. When you speak into a really nice sounding mic, you hear it instantly. That happened here. That hasn't happened with any other mic I presently own (Various MXLs, Rodes, Shures, and Groove Tubes), and it hasn't happened since I worked in a professional studio.

My .02 cents.
...great report!...very glad you're pleased with your purchase...wishing you more Musical Blessings for 2011!...
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I ususally just lurk around here, but I bought one of these and figured I'd respond with my thoughts.

My .02 cents.
Thanks for posting and welcome to the club. I lurked here for over a year before I started posting. Glad you like the mic.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

First, some background since no one here knows me. I've played guitar for 20 or so years and been recording for 15 or so. I started on a 4 track cassette, moved up to an 8 track cassette and then started doing some professional engineering (nothing great, just enough to augment my meager band and waiter income) back in the mid to late 1990s. In this time frame, I used a lot of different mics, some good, some bad, some expensive, some cheap. I went back to school and got out of recording for awhile. After graduating a few years ago and landing a job that pays OK, I started putting together a home studio. I've been buying bits and pieces for awhile, but I've needed a main vocal mic and was really wanting a tube mic. (I have a tube fetish that is the result of playing guitar for 20-odd years.) However, I was not thrilled with the ususal low end suspects from MXL, etc. I got an X-mas bonus, saw this posting and was totally tempted. Dave Thomas's post convinced me, as I am familiar with his work through friends owning mics of his.

As far as mods go, I will say that so far it sounds just fine without them. I have a slightly used Mullard Ef 86 somewhere that I need to dig up and put in there. I may change the transformer, not because I think it needs it per se, but because I want the experience in working on a mic and that seems like a good project.

Anyway, I'll try to remember to report back after I've played with it some more, but so far, I'm impressed, given the insanely cheap price I paid for it.

My .02 cents.

I'm happy to see someone else reacted just as i did when i heard the CM-6 for the first time. This mic is way under priced if you ask me, had i paid 3 time as much i would still feel great about my purchase.
Old 8th January 2011
Here for the gear
Thanks for the hellos.

I will be playing with this today so hopefully I can give some other impressions later. I will say that the mic is stout and heavy. Anyone know a good low profile stand that can hold this? I don't have the room for one of the larger studio mic stands. Right now, I've got it on a cast iron based straight stand and when I raise it to my height, it wants to tip over. I may just have to get a boom arm with a counter balance or rig one out of socks full of pennies and duct tape.

EDIT: I should probably point out that I have a Refelxion Filter I'm trying to fit on the stand too. I can get the mic to sit fine on the straight stand without it.

Also, whoever had the earlier concerns with the shock mount is spot on. I see a new one in the near future.

Also, Kydvybes, keep us posted on the C 12 clone.
Old 8th January 2011
Here for the gear
Quote:
Thanks for the hellos.

I will be playing with this today so hopefully I can give some other impressions later. I will say that the mic is stout and heavy. Anyone know a good low profile stand that can hold this? I don't have the room for one of the larger studio mic stands. Right now, I've got it on a cast iron based straight stand and when I raise it to my height, it wants to tip over. I may just have to get a boom arm with a counter balance or rig one out of socks full of pennies and duct tape.

EDIT: I should probably point out that I have a Refelxion Filter I'm trying to fit on the stand too. I can get the mic to sit fine on the straight stand without it.

Also, whoever had the earlier concerns with the shock mount is spot on. I see a new one in the near future.

Well, I was able to rig it using two stands to hold everything, which is a decent workaround for the time being. However, I'd still like some stand recommendations.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the hellos.

I have both of mine on the cheapest $10 Musicians Gear triple leg boom mic stands. It's a somewhat wobbly when extended and you push on it. Of course, it could be knocked over, but so could just about anything. For the most part, it's stable enough for my use. If they fell in my place, as you can see, they'd probably never reach the floor. I'd suggest getting one in the $50-100 heavy duty range if you're worried. I have two of the Ultimate MC-125's and even they can be toppled by the right oaf. It's hard to combat destruction when there's clumsiness about...Hey, I gotta remember that one.

What are your concerns with the shockmount? Just curious as I have several of these SP01 mounts and have never had an issue.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Attached Thumbnails
Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!-p1000506.jpg  
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I was able to rig it using two stands to hold everything, which is a decent workaround for the time being. However, I'd still like some stand recommendations.
Ultimate MC-125, about $175 but you can find em cheaper sometimes. For me, it's the strongest and biggest I'll need. May be too much for you though, but it's worth checking out.

Ultimate Support MC-125 | Sweetwater.com

Also, here's a comparison, the footprint is actually smaller than a regular triple leg stand.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Attached Thumbnails
Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!-mc-125.jpg  
Old 8th January 2011
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post

What are your concerns with the shockmount? Just curious as I have several of these SP01 mounts and have never had an issue.

Cheers!
Mitchell
I feel like the threads will strip with heavy use. Also, the joint itself between the piece that screws to the stand and the shock mount feels a little flimsy to me, even when tightened. I have a bad habit of breaking stuff without even trying.

I could just leave the shock mount semi-permanently attached to a stand though and only remove it when transporting my rig somewhere.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I feel like the threads will strip with heavy use. Also, the joint itself between the piece that screws to the stand and the shock mount feels a little flimsy to me, even when tightened. I have a bad habit of breaking stuff without even trying.

I could just leave the shock mount semi-permanently attached to a stand though and only remove it when transporting my rig somewhere.
That's why I use these.
Just make sure the button engages.

Or, you could buy some extra SP01's for $27 at amazon and just move the mics to them.

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-SP01-Sh...4515457&sr=1-1
Attached Thumbnails
Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!-216xbsjxa6l.jpeg  
Old 8th January 2011
Here for the gear
Quote:
Ultimate MC-125, about $175 but you can find em cheaper sometimes. For me, it's the strongest and biggest I'll need. May be too much for you though, but it's worth checking out.

Ultimate Support MC-125 | Sweetwater.com

Also, here's a comparison, the footprint is actually smaller than a regular triple leg stand.

Cheers!
Mitchell
I think in my current space (a small spare bedroom), that's a little too big. However, duely noted for when I may move to a larger space.
Old 8th January 2011
Here for the gear
Quote:
That's why I use these.
Just make sure the button engages.

Or, you could buy some extra SP01's for $27 at amazon and just move the mics to them.

Amazon.com: Samson SP01 Shockmount Spider Mount for Condenser Mics: Musical Instruments

Nice!!! Thanks for the tip and making me instantly poorer.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice!!! Thanks for the tip and making me instantly poorer.
LOL..Sorry man. I'll find ways to get out of work, but they cost sometimes. I got tired of removing shockmounts from stands, or moving stands, etc. So I just have stands w/ the qdetach or mounts set up where I need them and move the mics to them. The quick detach would be the cheaper way to go. Just keep them on multiple stands and that way you're not tearing up the threads on your shockmount. I think they normally go for $8, but I've grabbed em for $4 before on blowouts. Not to mention the time you save by not having to turn the mounts on and off of stands. Time IS MONEY! Like I said, just be sure the button comes thru the sleeve and it'll be locked.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think in my current space (a small spare bedroom), that's a little too big. However, duely noted for when I may move to a larger space.
You'd be suprised, it will collapse down to be hardly much bigger than a regular stand by tilting the counter weight down and bottoming out the center shaft.

Here's all the specs. If you look and the minimums on it, it's not as big as you 'd think.

Ultimate Support: Home

If you'd like me to collapse mine down and take a pic with it against a regular stand, let me know. I know it's a lot of dough for a stand, but it's most sturdy. When you move to your bigger place, you'll have the goods to really go up and out already.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 8th January 2011
So from where can I buy this mic atm?

/Jon
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

It's sold out at the moment. but search E-bay for Stellar CM-6. I hope the new ones arrive soon.
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Head

CM-6 as raw as it gets...especially the performance!

Gents,
Quick disclaimer: I'm taking my first serious foray into home recording now. The size zero blonde is gone and I have a room back! It's all good
Since I only got my stuff setup between Christmas and New Years, I'm pretty much totally inexperienced, so not even sure if this is gonna sound decent. If it sucks, chalk it up to my noobieness, I'll get better I promise.

Here's a vocal snippet of an old Major Lance tune. I'm going Stellar CM-6 > Focusrite Saffire Pro24 > Sonar X1 and then bouncing down to an MP3. The CM-6 has been burning in for 2 days since I got it.
Everything is totally raw, EQ and compression turned off going in from the Focusrite, and just the raw mono track sent from Sonar to MP3, nothing FX'ed or edited,etc. Also my voice is totally raw, since I woke up at noon, had a cup of coffee, then did this. On the really loud *IIIIIIIIII just couldn't help myself* the distortion is actually something in my throat! The recording is nowhere near clipping on the Sonar track.

I picked this song so I could do a wide range of vocalizing, most of it is done about 8 inches from the mic, the *mmm mm mmhmm* is almost right up on the grill and the loud parts I backed away a foot or so. Also I am in a totally untreated environment, actually standing outside the recording room (way too brittle sounding untreated)between my dining table and the kitchen. A TON of Los Angeles traffic is going by outside, so a little of that is definitely seeping into the track.

Hope this works, if not, if anyone can tell me how to get a crystal clear MP3 off of Sonar X1 I'd appreciate it, the track is totally clear on the actual recording.

After this first attempt, I give pretty high marks to the CM-6 so far, want to try it with a vintage tube too.

Michael Lee Smith

I guess I can attach wav files here
if the MP3 sucks, might sound better...let me know
Attached Files

majorL.mp3 (1.09 MB, 529 views)

Last edited by Michael Lee; 9th January 2011 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: accuracy
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

From the sounds of Dave Thomas's post, the CM-6 is basically very similar to his AA CM-47, but $400 cheaper? is this correct?

If someone has time to throw the CM-6 over some drums (even better a pair!) I'd really love to hear it.

thanks,

Joel

ps- feel free to PM me if/when they are back on ebay!
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldadrummer View Post
From the sounds of Dave Thomas's post, the CM-6 is basically very similar to his AA CM-47, but $400 cheaper? is this correct?

If someone has time to throw the CM-6 over some drums (even better a pair!) I'd really love to hear it.

thanks,

Joel

ps- feel free to PM me if/when they are back on ebay!
I tried a room set up earlier. They sound ok, but my room's not much to speak of. Haven't thrown my pair up on OHD's yet. I'm probably not going to get a chance for a while unfortunately. So far, I believe I'm the only drummer up here that has a pair of them. Hope this is enough to give you an idea.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6143352-post133.html

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
So I just have stands w/ the qdetach
Is that their actual name? Google can't find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post
Everything is totally raw,
Then the CM-6 doesn't seem to have much self-noise.
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Head

]Is that their actual name? Google can't find them.

I found these Buy Musician's Gear Quick Release Mic Adapter | Mic Stand Accessories & Parts | Musician's Friend

also found these from Atlas, Atlas stuff is generally top notch, $5 more: Atlas Sound LO-2B Lock-On Accessory LO-2B B&H Photo Video

Then the CM-6 doesn't seem to have much self-noise.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't seem to at all. I have the input to the Focusrite set pretty low, but only because if I turn it up much, this mic picks up cars all the way down on Ventura Blvd., seems very sensitive. I'd love to have it in a much quieter environment so I could find out.
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
also found these from Atlas, Atlas stuff is generally top notch, $5 more
$10 more, because of no free shipping. And $3 more again for the non-shiny version. So more than twice the price. Not that I would skimp on it, since it would secure more than $1000 worth of mic.

Thank you for the links!
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Head

no skimp zone

I wouldn't skimp on 'em either for the same reason...I wish though, that they'd sell the part that attaches to the shock mount separately, have them all mounted on the different shockmounts, and you only need one part that attaches to the stand (well for a one man, one stand operation like mine)

MLS
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
]Is that their actual name? Google can't find them.

I found these Buy Musician's Gear Quick Release Mic Adapter | Mic Stand Accessories & Parts | Musician's Friend

also found these from Atlas, Atlas stuff is generally top notch, $5 more: Atlas Sound LO-2B Lock-On Accessory LO-2B B&H Photo Video

Then the CM-6 doesn't seem to have much self-noise.
It's the same quick release as the OnStage, so you know. The black one (OnStage QK2B) also comes in Chrome (QK2C) whick is the same as the Atlas at B&H that you're looking at.

Amazon.com: On Stage QK2C Microphone Clip Quick Release, Chrome: Musical Instruments

So just find the best price on either one. It'll be the same piece.

Cheers!
Mitchell

Edit: Just saw another..WindTech.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...se_Chrome.html
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Head

Much better mp3 of the CM-6 ( I hope)

Gents,
Check my earlier post #202 in the thread for particulars on how this was recorded. Listening back to the mp3 I attached, I was appalled at the snap,crackle and pop on it, although I had done everything according to the instructions in Sonar X1 to make it.

A thorough reading of some Cakewalk forums and I took some of the posters advice and did it their way rather than the Cakewalk way. I think this one is much better and hopefully gives a clearer idea of how the CM-6 sounds in my environment, which is admittedly less than optimal!

MLS
Attached Files

majorL2-Track 4.mp3 (2.17 MB, 451 views)

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search