The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post
That is an old trick that works well. Try one or two clicks. Try it also towards omni to reduce proximity. That is what is nice about the 9 pattern supply you can dial in your "sound."

Will do. That's another reason I posted the voice clips earlier that were running thru the pattern settings. I'll start w/ going towards omni off of cardioid then and see what happens.

Thank you sir.

Mitchell
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...OK...here's another quick vocal snippet...this time it's a female vocalist with a very broad dynamic range...once again, this is a raw, untreated file...recorded about 1 to 2 feet from the CM-6...the second file is the same vocal with just a touch of treatment...this is vocalist Jesse Kussack...
Just been listening to this and generally this mic sounds really nice! However when the vocalist starts to go for it a little more at the end it starts to get a little harsh?

How does this mic compare to mics such as the Peluso 2247, Gefell M930 or SE Gemini mkIII?
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Just been listening to this and generally this mic sounds really nice! However when the vocalist starts to go for it a little more at the end it starts to get a little harsh?

How does this mic compare to mics such as the Peluso 2247, Gefell M930 or SE Gemini mkIII?
...hey d-funk!...welcome to the thread!...yes, this particular singer has a very dynamic voice, and she is young and untrained (she doesn't yet know how to "work" the mic to her best advantage)...since I had never tracked her before, I neglected to position the mic to best deal with her strong voice...in retrospect, I would probably position her a bit off-axis and ride the fader just a bit, since she tends to go from soft to loud very often...but this was a quick test, as someone had just brought her over to my studio to introduce her to me and I was looking to put up a female vocal sample for the CM-6...I love her voice, and I hope to have an opportunity to work with her in a more deliberate circumstance down the road...

...while I've heard wonderful things about the M930, I have no experience using that mic, so I can't comment...but I do have some familiarity with the other two you mention, and I can say comfortably that the CM-6 is on par with both of those mics (at least the basic short-body version of the 2247)...I like the CM-6 a bit better than the Gemini, which I found to be dissappointing, particularly at it's pricepoint...I had an sE Z5600A that I liked better than the Gemini...I like the CM-6 better than the Z5600A as well...but what is most impressive to me, is that the CM-6 offers performance at a very affordable pricepoint that compares easily with mics costing 3-4 times the price (like those you mentioned)...

...I have said it before and I will say it again, as one of the original owners of the first production run GAP PRE-73 (I know you're very familiar with that piece of gear) and a strong supporter of it's "cost-to-performance" ratio, IMHO, the CM-6 offers very similar value...that is why I posted this, now locked thread:
Wanna Tube Mic To Go With Your PRE-73?...
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Wow that is astonishing if the CM6 compares to the Peluso 2247!

Which of the mics I mention has the least siblance?

Also, I came across these mics today (recommended by mista min)

A.I.R Swordfish

Looks to be very similar!?
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow that is astonishing if the CM6 compares to the Peluso 2247!

Which of the mics I mention has the least siblance?

Also, I came across these mics today (recommended by mista min)

A.I.R Swordfish

Looks to be very similar!?
...the most sibilant in my mind was the Gemini...the CM-6 has a nice clear top-end, but it's not overly hyped or sibilant...

...yes d-funk, you're very astute to recognize the A.I.R mic...the Stellar CM-6 ($350), the AA CM-47 ($735) and the A.I.R Swordfish ($455) are all coming out of the same Chinese factory (as does the metalwork for many of Peluso's capsules) and share many of the same components, thus you see my enthusiasm for the most cost effective one of the bunch!...

...check out this post from a previous thread that compares the circuits in the CM-6, the CM-47 and the Peluso 2247LE:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6136176-post80.html
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Are the CM-6 and AIR Swordfish the same mic?

Also, do you have any noise spec on the CM-6?
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

I used my new CM-6 on our morning show today (WFAA-TV Dallas, "Good Morning Texas"). The featured musical guest was pianist Jim Brickman who is appearing with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra this weekend.

I used just the CM-6 in mono, set up as shown in the photos. The chain was mic in standard cardioid to a Focusrite Octo-Pre, out of that to the line input of my Lexicon Omega interface, to my Mac laptop running Audacity. The piano was a Yamaha baby grand.

I've posted a 16/44.1 wav file to Div Share at the address below. You are hearing just the microphone with no processing or EQ of any kind.

Jim Brickman_ Piano--Stellar CM-6 Microph.wav - DivShare

Jim isn't a heavy lower keys player but I think the mic captures the usually brighter sound of the Yamaha nicely (give me a Yamaha piano any day of the week, Steinways are way to dark for my taste). I couldn't do stereo since I only have one microphone and I know that to a super critical ear there may be some phasey artifacts thanks to the direct sound of the piano and its interaction with the lid. Sorry, it's TV and our director today was worried about getting his "through and across the lid" shot and the mic being in the way.

So it's not a perfect setting or recording but I thought I'd post it to give all of you an idea of how it sounds with a decent instrument and an accomplished player.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!-stellar-cm6-1.jpg   Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!-stellar-cm6-2.jpg   Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!-studio-shot.jpg   Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!-jim-brickman.jpg  
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV676 View Post
I used my new CM-6 on our morning show today (WFAA-TV Dallas, "Good Morning Texas"). The featured musical guest was pianist Jim Brickman who is appearing with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra this weekend.

So it's not a perfect setting or recording but I thought I'd post it to give all of you an idea of how it sounds with a decent instrument and an accomplished player.

Thanks!
Thanks for posting this. Are you happy with your purchase?

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are the CM-6 and AIR Swordfish the same mic?

Also, do you have any noise spec on the CM-6?
...no...similar but not the same...the CM-6 uses a 35mm 6-micron German Mylar K67 type capsule and an EF86 based plate-follower circuit...while the Swordfish uses this same factory's new version of the 6-micron K47 combined with a 6072 based circuit...the CM-47 shares a 6072 based circuit but with the same K67 capsule and transformer as the CM-6...keep in mind that there are many high-quality EF86 type NOS tubes available at very reasonable prices today, while the cost of a good NOS 6072 has gotten very pricey lately (that is one of the reasons Peter Bloch chose an EF86/EF806A for the CM-6)...I use a beautiful NOS Valvo E80F tube (best choice for the circuit as per Oliver Archut) which can be purchased for around $20 on eBay...

...you would have to request the exact noise specs from Peter directly, but I can tell you they are lower than some of my other favorite tube mics in my closet...

Quote:
...thank you so much for contributing such a wonderful reference file to the thread (I was curious about the console behind the mic in the pics from your earlier post)...very nice indeed...impressive!
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

"Thanks for posting this. Are you happy with your purchase?"

Overall I'm very pleased with the microphone itself. For my purposes I'll leave it stock. I don't know if a second one is on the horizon (getting some other microphones refurbished/modded).

As I mentioned earlier I'm not crazy about the shockmount, a Rycote USM may be in my future. I plan to build some shorter interface cables using real Neutriks with the 7 conductor cable (the enclosed cable is about 25-30 feet long and I'd like an alternative).

Is it worth the $350? I think it's quite an achievement in the bang for the buck department. I'm keeping it and using it.

And didn't a U-47 cost about $350 in the 1950's?
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
...no...similar but not the same...the CM-6 uses a 35mm 6-micron German Mylar K67 type capsule and an EF86 based plate-follower circuit...while the Swordfish uses this same factory's new version of the 6-micron K47 combined with a 6072 based circuit...the CM-47 shares a 6072 based circuit but with the same K67 capsule and transformer as the CM-6...keep in mind that there are many high-quality EF86 type NOS tubes available at very reasonable prices today, while the cost of a good NOS 6072 has gotten very pricey lately (that is one of the reasons Peter Bloch chose an EF86/EF806A for the CM-6)...I use a beautiful NOS Valvo E80F tube (best choice for the circuit as per Oliver Archut) which can be purchased for around $20 on eBay...

...you would have to request the exact noise specs from Peter directly, but I can tell you they are lower than some of my other favorite tube mics in my closet...
Which of these 2 mics would have the least sibilance?

I've tried to contact Peter a couple of times but haven't had a reply.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which of these 2 mics would have the least sibilance?

I've tried to contact Peter a couple of times but haven't had a reply.
...d-funk, I own both the CM-47 and the CM-6...while they both use the same capsule and transformer, they are "voiced" differently...neither has a problem with sibilance...the CM-47 uses a circuit design that feeds the input thru one element of the 6072 triode tube and then the output uses the other tube element to feed the transformer...this results in a thicker, slightly darker voicing that I believe Dave Thomas was shooting for...the CM-6 uses a simpler, more direct plate-follower EF86 circuit and it has a less colored voicing, IMHO...more natural and clearer...while I love the CM-47 for certain lead vocal duties, I feel the CM-6 may be a bit more versatile, as it's voicing is more natural/neutral...say, for instance, if you were stacking multiple background harmonies, the CM-6 would be my choice...and, if you take advantage of the CM-6's very useable proximity effect (as I demonstrated in the first vocal file I posted) you get a bit of a similar effect to the CM-47's voicing for lead vocals...I'm sorry if I keep choosing the CM-6, but again, at this price, the choice becomes quite obvious...YMMV

...check you PM for Peter's direct email address...
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Thanks for posting this. Are you happy with your purchase?"

Overall I'm very pleased with the microphone itself. For my purposes I'll leave it stock. I don't know if a second one is on the horizon (getting some other microphones refurbished/modded).

As I mentioned earlier I'm not crazy about the shockmount, a Rycote USM may be in my future. I plan to build some shorter interface cables using real Neutriks with the 7 conductor cable (the enclosed cable is about 25-30 feet long and I'd like an alternative).

Is it worth the $350? I think it's quite an achievement in the bang for the buck department. I'm keeping it and using it.

And didn't a U-47 cost about $350 in the 1950's?
Very good. Let me know how the cables turn out and what you did because I'm in the same boat. I've got a big wad of cable hanging off the mic stand because I have to position the power supply close to the mic. I guess I could make room and use shorter XLR cables, but I have even less room where my interface resides.

A U-47's cost in the 1950's? Good question, you're probably not far off.

Hopefully I can get a good take doing the Blumlein and post it to let you hear what it sounds like. Or maybe set up an X/Y or traditional on an acoustic guitar. I'm sick like that and tend to buy everything in pairs. Espcially mics. Now I've got to find a matched pair of NOS tubes.

Thanks again for your participation and I'm glad you like your mic.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
Very good. Let me know how the cables turn out and what you did because I'm in the same boat. I've got a big wad of cable hanging off the mic stand because I have to position the power supply close to the mic. I guess I could make room and use shorter XLR cables, but I have even less room where my interface resides.
...same problem here...and for the solder-impaired like myself, you can custom order a high-quality Gotham GAC-7 pin microphone cable (as used on many of the "boutique" quality tube mics) for any desired length from Redco here:
Redco Audio - Design Your Own Single Channel Cable

...better yet, if any of the GS members who make their own custom cables can offer us a better deal, please feel free to chime in!...I'd rather support one of our own...
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
...same problem here...and for the solder-impaired like myself, you can custom order a high-quality Gotham GAC-7 pin microphone cable (as used on many of the "boutique" quality tube mics) for any desired length from Redco here:
Redco Audio - Design Your Own Single Channel Cable

...better yet, if any of the GS members who make their own custom cables can offer us a better deal, please feel free to chime in!...I'd rather support one of our own...
Me too! Thanks for the link as well.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Head

Dirk, your voice sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Parker View Post
So this is a clip of me singing the song My Street with the CM-6. Not the best vocal day haha (or week really) and this song is hard, but i wanted people to see the low and high notes.

Anywho... yeah it has a little reverb I was messing around with. (nothing else. i promise it didn't really change much of the sound though) ... I'm sorry... but i couldn't figure out how to export the raw (no reverb) version from sonar... :(
Hopefully this'll still give you some idea of what it is like. Don't make fun of my voice I'm only 16 and i have a cold haha

Hope this helps SOMEHOW,
Dirk
Just got my CM-6, waiting at the door when I came home tonight, can't wait to try it. Oh, and singing while having a cold...I think it might be "Moon River" and Andy Williams had a terrible cold but did the session and created a perennial hit...at least that's the way i heard it...

Michael Lee
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Head

Just got my CM-6...burn it in some more?

Gents,
Got my CM-6 today (ordered off ebay just before midnight on 12/30) and am curious if more burn in time would be beneficial? I'll probably be shopping for a NOS tube soon anyway.
If burning in is recommended, can the mic be horizontal or staning on the top mesh while it happens? I only have one mic stand and will be using my other mic while the CM-6 burns in.

Thanks
Michael Lee
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post
Gents,
Got my CM-6 today (ordered off ebay just before midnight on 12/30) and am curious if more burn in time would be beneficial? I'll probably be shopping for a NOS tube soon anyway.
If burning in is recommended, can the mic be horizontal or staning on the top mesh while it happens? I only have one mic stand and will be using my other mic while the CM-6 burns in.

Thanks
Michael Lee
Yes, kidvybes suggested somewhere further up the thread. I think mine are only up to twelve hours because I don't want to leave them burning when I'm not here. He'll chime in momentarily I'm sure.

Cheers!
Mitchell

Edit: Found it. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6154082-post39.html
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Gents,

Thanks
Michael Lee

I would burn the tube in for about 48 to 72 hours if you can. I did notice the CM-6 sounded much smoother and warmer the longer i burn the tube in.stike
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemesmin1 View Post
I would burn the tube in for about 48 to 72 hours if you can. I did notice the CM-6 sounded much smoother and warmer the longer i burn the tube in.stike
The burn in forms the electrolytic capacitors and improves the tubes performance. I routinely leave microphones on for weeks at a time.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Head

SO, can I sing into it as long as I leave it on when I'm done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post
The burn in forms the electrolytic capacitors and improves the tubes performance. I routinely leave microphones on for weeks at a time.

I'm itching to try it out...as far as leaving mics on for weeks at a time, I used to record at the Record Plant in NYC back in the day and the entire studio was left on 24/7...they said turning equipment on and off is what breaks things!

Last edited by Michael Lee; 7th January 2011 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: accuracy
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

I like this microphone a lot going by the samples and info.

Just one important question: does the PSU support 230V operation?

Thanks guys.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm itching to try it out...as far as leaving mics on for weeks at a time, I used to record at the Record Plant in NYC back in the day and the entire studio was left on 24/7...they said turning equipment on and off is what breaks things!
Yeah, try it out and leave it on for a bit after your done, or leave it one for a few days. I'm turning mine on right now to burn for 12.

I don't know about the leaving stuff on, I've heard that too for a lot of stuff over the years. But I also know that's also how studios burn down. Not to mention, I can't afford to leave everything turned on!

Another question to someone who might know:

Turning up the pre while burning? I assume (and maybe incorrectly) that it would change the load to/from the mic? Should I leave it up? down? does it matter?

Mitchell
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedog View Post
I like this microphone a lot going by the samples and info.

Just one important question: does the PSU support 230V operation?

Thanks guys.
It has the little red switch on the back set to 115, so I'll say yes. I just turned mine on or I'd flip it and make doube extra sure. But the switch is there for what would normally be the 230v power mode.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks, mhs2xs, there's no photo of the PSU itself nor info on E-bay. Generic PSU-s of this type do usually offer both voltages IIRC...
Someone please confirm!
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, mhs2xs, there's no photo of the PSU itself nor info on E-bay. Generic PSU-s of this type do usually offer both voltages IIRC...
Someone please confirm!
...Correct!...red voltage 115/230 switch on back of PSU...Stellar has already shipped to Europe already...no worries...
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Someone please confirm!

Attached Thumbnails
Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!-p1000499.jpg  
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
...Correct!...red voltage 110/230 switch on back of PSU...Stellar has already shipped to Europe already...no worries...
Good Morning. Working on my subkick and burning tubes. I remember talking to you about having the pre turned up while burning, do you think it makes a difference?
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
Good Morning. Working on my subkick and burning tubes. I remember talking to you about having the pre turned up while burning, do you think it makes a difference?
...yes, I do...when the mic is simply powered up by itself, it rarely gets very warm...but when I drive it with a preamp, it warms up nicely...I'm guessing either will achieve "burn in", but driving the PSU with a mic pre seems to ensure a more thorough process...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search