The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!
Old 6th January 2011
Dennis are you going to through a CV-12 in the mix as well?
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedog View Post
... I would love to have a good read on microphone modding history...
Read Stephen Paul's articles linked above if you haven't seen them. Then search out David Royer's published work. David Josephson has left some trails on the Internet as well - in particular, a very nice tutorial on capsule cleaning. There are many other sources including AES and BBC engineering papers. But there is no substitute for direct mentoring.

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to my late mentor and employer, David Blackmer (dbx Inc. and Earthworth mics founder) who wisely did not publish much - except for a very early article in "Recording Engineer / Producer" circa 1971 about the dbx noise reduction system. His stories of hacking into the microphones and wired transmission system of the Boston Symphony Orchestra as a student at Harvard are priceless.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
Simply because the cheerleading/crossposting/redundant threads appeared so fast and from just a few posters to raise an eyebrow from me, and those posts came right on the heels of a falling out of sorts between said posters and Mr. Joly. To me, anyway, it appeared that the CM-6 was being used as a lever of sorts against Mr. Joly.
Thanks for posting your opinion.

Me, being one of the posters (NOT one of the ones with a falling out) was interested in the CM-6 as soon as I read what kidvybes had to say and after reading the specs.

Have you read the 2003A thread by any chance? When the whole deal with the 2003A kicked off, I was interested in that mic too. There was some sniping back and forth there, but nothing like these threads. kidvybes did a shootout, Joly did a shootout, it was great. As MJ has posted himself, 10 mics on eBay (16 now) doesn't worry him, so I'm not sure how it's a lever against him per se....

Back on topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Parker View Post
I'm just gonna say how great this Mic sounds. I have had it for a few days now, and it has sounded great on everything I've thrown at it. Mostly though, I'm a singer, and most importantly this mic sounds nice on my voice. (I think) haha

I'll post a clip of me singing with the mic really soon (I don't know how to export my stinkin' audio out of Sonar...) ugh...

But this mic sounds good! I OWN one! heh
ME TWO! Glad you like it and I hope you enjoy it. I know I do. I'm getting some NOS tubes for mine to keep around and try when I get tired of the stocks.

At least in Sonar Prod 4 and XL it's this way:
Select the track(s)

Go to the far left hand pull down
File
Export Audio
Export (selected tracks) as a WAV or MP3.

I always export it to a 48/24 wav and then listen to it in audacity, just because, and then export it out of there to an MP3.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
There are only a handful of "original" mics in existence. All the other mics are just copies and mods off the original designs (ie: "MODS") :

crystal, ribbon, dynamic, condenser, pressure zone, and a few others.

There is very little (if any) original/creative stuff going on these days that is hitting the market. Just a bunch of copying - changes, tweaks, "mods" and "refinement". It's pretty much the general consensus that MOST of the great mics/designs are all 30-50+ years old. (Hence all the recreations that abound) Expensive German labor and corporate buyouts have prohibited great new designs or innovation from that sector while cheap Chinese labor and startup companies copying what came before them have flooded the market with new options on the other end of the scale.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to replace or swap out components. All you really need to know is where to source the replacement parts and which ones to swap out. You can copy someone else, or you can study, learn and design, or you can guess and experiment. Whether said replacements are as good (just different), better or worse than the original design depends on your application, your budget, and mostly on who's doing the replacement. There are scarce few designers that REALLY understand and know how to make microphones from the ground up. We all know who they are.

THEY are the master imitators. Everyone else is just an average imitator. If they disagree with me, then I'd love to see their innovative new microphone design. The most innovative thing I've seen recently is AEA's new supercardiod KU4, and it's not even original. (Copy of a classic lesser known RCA mic of old.)

So really, everything out there for sale today is "pre-modded" if you want to call it that. It's all semantics. Call em what you like. To me, "pre-modded" is nothing more than manufacturers saying "maybe we should build a better product - the market looks like it's shifting upscale a bit. Who should we copy?". End of story.

If they are copying from the guys modding cheap mics or copying from the german masters, they are still just copying. Its all shifting bottom lines vs. perceived value in upscale components. I don't see why all the hoopla. The market is just moving a tad bit upscale. $350 may become the norm instead of 200. Is that good or bad? Depends on your perspective and pocketbook I guess.
The whole point to me is the fact that, it wasn't that long ago, mics like these weren't around. Any that were out there, were still out of my price range. After the 57's and D112's and the 421's, it was a drastic jump to the next level. Anything that was intermediate had the quality of todays $80 mics and were $400-500 bucks (at least the ones I was looking at). I'm not saying I scoured the earth for them, it's just what I was seeing in my local pro audio emporiums.

As always, thanks for your insight. I'm waiting for the array of little magic chips that float in mid-air and transmit 3D sound at 1048kHz/128bit to a 1k file in my DAW computer rig that is the size of a credit card.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Read Stephen Paul's articles linked above if you haven't seen them. Then search out David Royer's published work. David Josephson has left some trails on the Internet as well - in particular, a very nice tutorial on capsule cleaning. There are many other sources as well including AES and BBC engineering papers as well. But there is no substitute for direct mentoring.

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to my late mentor and employer, David Blackmer (dbx Inc. and Earthworth mics founder) who wisely did not publish much - except for a very early article in "Recording Engineer / Producer" circa 1971 about the dbx noise reduction system. His stories of hacking into the microphones and wired transmission system of the Boston Symphony Orchestra as a student at Harvard are priceless.
Thank you, Mr. Joly, will check them out!

Happy New Year!

SD
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappy View Post
The only problem with this is when they start pre-modding these pre-modded mics at the factory. What do we call them then? Second generation pre-mods?

Yep- simple enough.

Just wait until MJ unveils his line of pre-modded Chinese mics. Then we'll really see the tangle when he offers his mods on his pre-mods, and then JJ mods those mods.

The MJ double JJ pre-mod mod.
Now that's funny!heh
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
To me, yes, absolutely. But, as some of the posts indicate, others were apparently misunderstanding your definition.

Cheers!
Mitchell
I don't misunderstand it at all. It's just semantics to me to describe a mic that is higher up the food chain than the bottom basement $200 chinese LDC. Nothing more, nothing less. It seems to be a good mic, but could just as easily been a lemon. (They are out there too...)

Bottom line, these "pre-modded" mics are nothing more than mics that are FACTORY STOCK with ideas implemented from other manufacturers and/or from current mic modders. It's laughable to me, they are stock microphones. But "pre-modded" carries a lot more hype, no??? heh heh Hey, if you guys get some satisfaction out of calling them pre modded, then go for it. I'm good. thumbsup

And to Illicov - I wasn't talking about anything other than MICROPHONES. Not outboard, recording technology, etc. Only microphones. Yes, there are incredibly creative people working on mics. But where is the innovation. Where are the new designs? Where is a trandsucer I can plug into my brain (and No, I'm not joking....it's coming.) Show me where the new ground is being broken. I have not seen a new type of microphone in my professional life. I suppose the pressure zone mics would be the closest to that, but I could be wrong, they may have just been reintroduced 25 years ago and copied from earlier designs.

I mean, come on, we put a man on the moon. Where's the new transducer technology? Nope, we're still just copying and refining, and shuffling our feet.

Oh wait, unless you count USB mics. hehheh
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
? I don't think I said you did misunderstand, I was actually thinking of several other posters and not you when I wrote that in my response to kidvybes. If you took that way, sorry.

Mitchell

Cool. There is so much under the covers inuendo going on that sometimes it's hard to tell what's what. I wish people would just be respectful and say what they mean. All good here. I hope you're diggin the mics. Did you get a chance to try one down relatively low and out in front of your drum set?
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool. There is so much under the covers inuendo going on that sometimes it's hard to tell what's what. I wish people would just be respectful and say what they mean. All good here. I hope you're diggin the mics. Did you get a chance to try one down relatively low and out in front of your drum set?
Thanks, yes I am. I'm not one to be disrespectful of some people up here because of their background and knowledge. I try to be direct so there's no grey in what I'm saying, but you know how that goes. I agree, there should be respect levied from both directions.

Cheers!
Mitchell

Ooops. Sorry, no sir, I did not. I got sidetracked doing the tranny mod in my R144 and messing with it and my remaining stock one. Now today, I get told that I'm going to have to travel some for work. So, who knows when I'll get to it. Hopefully someone else can give that a shot and post some clips....I also got the stuff in for my DIY subkick. Don't know if I'll finish that before I have to go out of town...I hate uncertain times.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Nut

SINGING Into the CM-6

So this is a clip of me singing the song My Street with the CM-6. Not the best vocal day haha (or week really) and this song is hard, but i wanted people to see the low and high notes.

Anywho... yeah it has a little reverb I was messing around with. (nothing else. i promise it didn't really change much of the sound though) ... I'm sorry... but i couldn't figure out how to export the raw (no reverb) version from sonar... :(
Hopefully this'll still give you some idea of what it is like. Don't make fun of my voice I'm only 16 and i have a cold haha

Hope this helps SOMEHOW,
Dirk
Attached Files

DirkSingingMyStreet.wma (1.69 MB, 274 views)

Old 6th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks, yes I am. I'm not one to be disrespectful of some people up here because of their background and knowledge. I try to be direct so there's no grey in what I'm saying, but you know how that goes. I agree, there should be respect levied from both directions.

Cheers!
Mitchell

Ooops. Sorry, no sir, I did not. I got sidetracked doing the tranny mod in my R144 and messing with it and my remaining stock one. Now today, I get told that I'm going to have to travel some for work. So, who knows when I'll get to it. Hopefully someone else can give that a shot and post some clips....I also got the stuff in for my DIY subkick. Don't know if I'll finish that before I have to go out of town...I hate uncertain times.
It's all good. Hey, I'm willing to bet some serious money that you'll like the R144 out front better than the CM6 based on your clips and what the drums and room sounded like. That's one of my favorite applications for ribbons, and I use my MODDED heh 205 there all the time. Safe journy's,,,, thumbsupthumbsup
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedog View Post
While I deeply respect all of the mic modders and their sympathisants and their efforts in audio world, - inspite all the arguments that have lead to the closing of another Stellar CM-6 thread - I'd like this one to actually go on with sound samples and first hand/ear user comments so I can firmly decide whether or not I should buy it, or buy it then mod it/ have it modded, or choose an altogether different LDC.

Thanks guys, but most of all Kidvybes for pointing to this seemingly/likely great product.

SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
Dennis are you going to through a CV-12 in the mix as well?
...once Peter catches up on his orders, I will be expecting a couple of his C12 prototypes for auditioning...he has different versions and requested our impressions...we already have an Avantone CV-12 (that's been upgraded) in the studio now...should be interesting...

Quote:
So this is a clip of me singing the song My Street with the CM-6.
Dirk...a dry (untreated) vocal track would help us to better judge your recording...but you've got a great voice!...very nice range and power...impressive!...
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Nut

OH and my setup...

and that was from Cm-6 to yamaha audiogram6 (aka crap) haha
just so everyone knows.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So this is a clip of me singing the song My Street with the CM-6. Not the best vocal day haha (or week really) and this song is hard, but i wanted people to see the low and high notes.

Anywho... yeah it has a little reverb I was messing around with. (nothing else. i promise it didn't really change much of the sound though) ... I'm sorry... but i couldn't figure out how to export the raw (no reverb) version from sonar... :(
Hopefully this'll still give you some idea of what it is like. Don't make fun of my voice I'm only 16 and i have a cold haha

Hope this helps SOMEHOW,
Dirk
Sounds good dude.

Just disable the effect on the channel (should be a little green box or something next to the effect name on the track) before you export and then re-enable it when you're done. I think it turns yellow or black when it's disabled.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's all good. Hey, I'm willing to bet some serious money that you'll like the R144 out front better than the CM6 based on your clips and what the drums and room sounded like. That's one of my favorite applications for ribbons, and I use my MODDED heh 205 there all the time. Safe journy's,,,, thumbsupthumbsup
I did try it with the R144 briefly. Wasn't real keen on the freq's that got boosted with the 2913 tranny. It does however sound most awesome on my sons guitar cab in M/S with a much hated, maligned and cursed C1000S with the presence cap on! The stock 144 sounds muffled to me now, but not terrible, and I'm struggling with whether to mod it or not.

My CM-6's are patiently waiting in a Blumlein formation for my wife to step in front of them and sing a Heart song. She tried the other night, but struggled. The mics sounded good and the track sounded exactly like someone that hadn't sang in 20 years. So the CM-6's reproduced that in spectacular fashion, in a pretty deep sounding 3D image no doubt. The post was shot down immediately. Even she made the comment that the mics weren't helping her out any...heh Every giggle and snort was captured.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
She tried the other night, but struggled. The mics sounded good and the track sounded exactly like someone that hadn't sang in 20 years. So the CM-6's reproduced that in spectacular fashion, in a pretty deep sounding 3D image no doubt. The post was shot down immediately. Even she made the comment that the mics weren't helping her out any...heh Every giggle and snort was captured.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Dude, you are a brave man. A VERY brave man. heh

MS for voc, eh??? Interesting. I'm not a big fan of M/S, but I'll look forward to hearing your wife sing!!!
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:

Hope this helps SOMEHOW,
Dirk

Dirk,
great voice you've got there

looks like the CM-6 is my next purchase...sounds quite good through my speakers
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManBand View Post
im trying to decide between this mic and the avantone cv12

I have the Avantone CV12 it's an ok sounding mic from 1-10 i would rate the CV-12 @ a 4 out of 10 in sound quality and performance. I had my CV-12 Moded by JJ Audio, Now it is without question a 9 out of 10 if not better. But the CM-6 Sound great i would say a 8 out of 10 with the original tube but a 9 out of 10 with a NOS tube.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Hope this helps SOMEHOW,
Dirk

Dirk you soound great. Strong voice and range Keep it up kid. Please post the untreated vocals ASAP if you can. We would love to hear how your strong voice hold up on the CM-6. Thanks
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Dirk you might want to look into a GAP-PRE73 to run the CM-6 into you should be very happy with the results.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemesmin1 View Post
Dirk you might want to look into a GAP-PRE73 with that Mic or a SM7B you should be very happy with the results.
Ha!!!!

stikestikeThe Holy Triumvirate.stikestike

CM-6, Gap Pre73 and an SM7B. Good to go there. thumbsup
Old 6th January 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks to Kidvybes...

I just wanted to thank Kidvybes very much for starting this thread and letting us know about his enthusiasm for that CM-6 mic. I completely understand that he has no stake in anyone buying it, and I think it's great if someone finds a product they think is wonderful and a good value, and shares it with everyone else.

I'm new to Gearslutz, and very much an amateur at recording. I've played the piano most of my life and guitar for 10 years or more, but entirely self taught (except for 8-10 mths of piano lessons when I was 8 or 9). About 16 yrs ago I wrote a song to impress a girl, and started recording at home with a cheap cassette 4 track just to do that one song. Over the years I've recorded about 20-25 cover songs - mostly on a Roland VS-880, the last 3-4 getting somewhat sophisticated and closer to pro-level (though still a long way off), a couple with 25-30 tracks. All performing, recording and mixing done by myself, alone and with no feedback from anyone with any audio knowledge. I didn't record for the last couple years, but now have a Macbook Pro and just got a Duet and Logic. I want to get back into recording and hopefully make songs which really approach a professional-level sound. I don't make any money from music and don't ever plan to - I just really enjoy it as a hobby (and romantic way to woo women, if I could record or eventually write songs for them, lol). I need to be conservative with my gear purchases, and investigate them thoroughly first. Buying a mic for me now is like a studio purchasing it's main console - it's a huge investment for me, and one which I'll be stuck with for many years. I know VERY little about mic technology, so I feel overwhelmed and intimidated with all these specs and parts. I can only go on recommendations, reviews, reputations, etc. I also have no idea what style mic would suit me best. Hard to choose - I assume the best U47 or U67 clone I can find will be my safest, best bet. Any thoughts?

I have a CAD Equitek E100, which I've used for all my vocals. Also have AT 4041 for acoust. guitars, and Beta 57a for percussion (though no drums). I've never been too happy with my vocal sounds (though it could just be my voice!)- didn't think t sounded very warm or polished. Maybe it's just my lack of skill with EQ and other effects. But I want to finally get a really good mic, and perhaps preamp (if the Duet isn't sufficient). Considering a GA Pre73 after all your great reviews. I don't have a ton of $ to spend, but might be one of those people who has more money than skill (hopefully not, at least for long). I need every advantage I can get to make good recordings, though I know my skill is what matters most (and my performance, since I do it all). So I'm strongly considering either that CM-6, or more likely - a full JJ Audio mod of it. I'd probably like to just jump in full bore and get the very best mic I can afford for now, so I don't mind spending $500-1000 for a fully modded one. Also considering the AA CM-47 tube. Not sure if I should go the U47 or U87 style and route, or perhaps something like a C12, a ribbon, SM7b, etc. Seems like U47 style is the safest best, yes? I might try recording some tests at my local G. Center with my Macbook and Duet. I don't plan to buy any other mics after this (for a while, at least), and don't want to mess around with evaluating it and having it modded again later.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome, and I really appreciate all the great advice and information you guys have posted. AND THANKS AGAIN VERY MUCH to Kidvybes - you've been VERY HELPFUL.

And just one last thing - not to beat a dead horse or revive a bad subject, but this comment I read - 'In my humble opinion, it is laughable that you include JJ Audio in a list of microphone "geniuses". But then again, your youth and a shortsighted view of the world can't be faulted for what they are.' I really didn't think sounded very nice. There's nothing humble about telling someone it's laughable if they boast about their own company, regardless of what you truly think of their company's skills. As I said - I'm new to GS, an amateur musician and home recordist. Most of you guys are way above my league in terms of gear and tech. knowledge, and your recording skills. So I don't want to start a fight or offend anyone, but I've been surprised at some of the animosity and comments I've read (I'm sure you know which ones), and thought it would all be much more professional (though most posts are, indeed). But thanks again to all, and Kidvybes. All of you guys and this forum are a WONDERFUL and invaluable resource to an amateur like me, and I suspect to yourselves as well. And BTW - that Zooey that posts sometimes, is that Zooey Deschanel the actress and singer?

Adam

And Dirk - great voice! I thought you sounded like someone who could be a lead singer in a big-time current rock band. You definitely should be. The reverb sounded a little weird (a room patch?), but to my untrained ears - a first class, professional sounding voice. Seems like others agree.

Last edited by amargulies; 6th January 2011 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: addition...
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

Files moved to an appropriate thread.

Thanks

Peace
Illumination

Last edited by illacov; 6th January 2011 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: .....
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Guru

Well, I wish they weren't mp3's because that puts something into the equation that I could be commenting on instead of the capsule or mic, but, that aside.

I think either one could work fine. It just depends what the vocalist / track needs. It's not like one sucked and the other was the voice of God.

Both are decent options IMO.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

Capsule discussion moved to an appropriate thread.

Peace
Illumination
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
MP3s are used so that people have ready and immediate access to the files while they remain on Gearslutz viewing threads. Its done to provide a convenient way to hear the files without leaving the browser (and open an external application) since the media player is coded right into the website.

People do have to accept the fact that they are MP3s, but professional mastering engineers and mix engineers email their clients mp3s all the time to show what their latest revision sounds like. Its understood that the wavs will be a bit clearer for the most part.

You can always PM me your email address and we can email you wav files.
Ha! mp3 justification. Love it. Only on GS.

Thanks but I don't need the WAV files. I just commented because you asked for comments. I don't currently plan on getting the mic (got too many already heh) so no need.

As for WAV files vs. mp3's.... Well, I always just host my own wave files on my site. A simple click brings up a second window, allowing people to have multiple steams of 24bit WAV's open for comparison, while staying on the GS page they were on. Simple. Then there is no whining or complaining, only listening.

You know what the funny thing is? At least on my web server, the WAV's actually play back faster and smoother than mid level mp3's. Go figure....
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude, you are a brave man. A VERY brave man. heh

MS for voc, eh??? Interesting. I'm not a big fan of M/S, but I'll look forward to hearing your wife sing!!!
No sir. Running M/S on the guitar cab with the modded R144 as the side mic, C1000S as mid.

The CM-6'S are in Blumlein for vocals. Just thought I'd try it and it actually sounded pretty cool. When she's practiced up, I'll get her to do one take in Blumlein and one in just Cardioid for a comparison. The cool thing about my wife is she knows when something sounds bad, even if it's her. She sang for one of my bands 20 odd years ago and got to where she was pretty good. She also knows I'm not gonna say it sounds good when it doesn't. Honesty is a good thing.

Was it you who posted about setting your pattern to one click towards Fig8 (or 1 click towards omni) off of Cardioid to fatten up the sound when using one of your tube mics?

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Was it you who posted about setting your pattern to one click towards Fig8 (or 1 click towards omni) off of Cardioid to fatten up the sound when using one of your tube mics?

Cheers!
Mitchell
Nope. But certainly any pattern position will sound somewhat different, depending on the polarization and your room. I still say you're a brave man recording and posting your wife's vocal on the internet. heh heh Good luck!
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
No sir. Running M/S on the guitar cab with the modded R144 as the side mic, C1000S as mid.

The CM-6'S are in Blumlein for vocals. Just thought I'd try it and it actually sounded pretty cool. When she's practiced up, I'll get her to do one take in Blumlein and one in just Cardioid for a comparison. The cool thing about my wife is she knows when something sounds bad, even if it's her. She sang for one of my bands 20 odd years ago and got to where she was pretty good. She also knows I'm not gonna say it sounds good when it doesn't. Honesty is a good thing.

Cheers!
Mitchell

That is an old trick that works well. Try one or two clicks. Try it also towards omni to reduce proximity. That is what is nice about the 9 pattern supply you can dial in your "sound."

Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope. But certainly any pattern position will sound somewhat different, depending on the polarization and your room. I still say you're a brave man recording and posting your wife's vocal on the internet. heh heh Good luck!
LOL...I hear ya. It'll all be up to her. I told her I wouldn't do it unless we both felt it sounded at least decent. So she's really the brave one if she lets me post for all the Slutz to hear....I'd be the only one to see any jackarse comments about her voice, if there were any. I mean, she's not a pro and that would be stated, so I think most everybody would take it for what it is. Another low end clip from Mitchell.

Have a good day sir,
Mitchell
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search