The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stellar cm-6 : best budget tube mic!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappy View Post
Well, I've asked Stellar twice now if they (Peter) would allow a 3-day satisfaction return period.

No answer both times.

Oh well...
Dennis, can you help out here? Email is something that Peter needs to work on. Don't know if we're getting filtered either electronically or just not being read. A couple of mine didn't get answered, but the ones that really counted did, or else I would be thinking the same as slaphappy.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
Dennis, can you help out here? Email is something that Peter needs to work on. Don't know if we're getting filtered either electronically or just not being read. A couple of mine didn't get answered, but the ones that really counted did, or else I would be thinking the same as slaphappy.
...yeah, I'm aware of the email lag...he's been very busy with the holidays and I think the current email situation is relative to the holiday madness...prior to the holidays I found him much more responsive to my correspondence...I will pass it along...he's been getting quite a few inquiries from outside the US for the CM-6, so he's been busy quoting shipping for those requests too...
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...yeah, I'm aware of the email lag...he's been very busy with the holidays and I think the current email situation is relative to the holiday madness...prior to the holidays I found him much more responsive to my correspondence...I will pass it along...he's been getting quite a few inquiries from outside the US for the CM-6, so he's been busy quoting shipping for those requests too...
I hear ya, and that's what I attributed it to. He seems to get back with you quicker though. Must be the swagger...Thanks man.

On another note, I have them set up in Blumlein and ready to go, but can't find a specimen to sample. My daughter bailed on me to go to the movies. I may have to boot the wife out into the jam room when she gets back and see if she'll sing Barracuda or something. Everybody likes to sing around here until I put a mic in front of em....
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Everybody likes to sing around here until I put a mic in front of em....
...lol...been there done that!...heh
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
...lol...been there done that!...heh
PM'd that address to slaphappy and he's gonna try it as well.

I see he's down to 2 mics left.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Well, I've asked Stellar twice now if they (Peter) would allow a 3-day satisfaction return period.
If you pay with Paypal through ebay, you have 45 days to return ANY item you purchase, as long as you return it with tracking info.
Credit cards give you a bit more usually, sometimes 60 days.
It doesn't really matter what the seller's stated policy is.
Some sellers on ebay put a return time limit on their listings to scare people, and actually that's against ebay's policies. Also, some sellers post "no returns at all", and that's also false and untrue.
You have 45 days, no matter what.
Of course, I'm sure he'd prefer for you to keep it.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

"I see he's down to 2 mics left."

Make that 1!

I have a number of voice over folk in the studio, should be interesting to here how it compares to my regular mics (AT4050 and Heil PR-40).
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

This is from the ebay listing.

Quote:
Item must be returned within 3 days after the buyer receives it.
Refund will be given as: Exchange
Return policy details:
Returns will only be accepted if the item does not meet published specifications. Contact the shipping vendor and us immediiately if the item was damaged during shipment. We will assist on a case by case basis.

NONE of this is true. Paypal and ebay have you covered for 45 days, no matter what.

It's a bizarre glitch in ebay's listings system. They want sellers to choose their own "returns policy", but they are completely unenforceable if you pay by Paypal or a credit card.
No one is exactly sure why ebay asks sellers to do it.

But don't worry, from the reports and clips so far, the mic will sound amazing. And at that price, it's a STEAL!
You won't be returning it.

Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV676 View Post
I have a number of voice over folk in the studio, should be interesting to here how it compares to my regular mics (AT4050 and Heil PR-40).
...a couple of tips if you haven't been working much with a tube mic...Peter at Stellar will burn your mic in for at least 24-36 hours prior to shipping, but it will be advantageous if you continue the process for a total of at least 72 hours altogether...

...and be sure to warm up the CM-6 for at least 20-30 minutes before tracking...while a tube mic will work as soon as you power it on, this routine will give you the best performance from the mic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vault View Post
But don't worry, from the reports and clips so far, the mic will sound amazing. And at that price, it's a STEAL!
You won't be returning it.
...my thoughts exactly...
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

Wink I got the last one

That's right! I just got the last one!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

...looks like the first Stellar CM-6 auction is sold out...Peter will be listing one more auction shortly, and that will be it for this first introductory run of CM-6s...more are on order with the factory, and the next "pre-modded" Stellar tube mic (based on the Apex 460/C12 style) prototypes are being evaluated...
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
...looks like the first Stellar CM-6 auction is sold out...Peter will be listing one more auction shortly, and that will be it for this first introductory run of CM-6s...more are on order with the factory, and the next "pre-modded" Stellar tube mic (based on the Apex 460/C12 style) prototypes are being evaluated...
Check your PM!

VERY GOOD NEWS

Peace
Illumination
Old 28th December 2010

Hmmm...I guess I'll never know what I'm missing.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've been trying to find out some more spec on this mic such as Self Noise and SPL but haven't heard anything back.
Does anyone on here know these specs?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV676 View Post
"I see he's down to 2 mics left."

Make that 1!

Welcome to the club. Let us know how you like it. I own some 4050's and, though I didn't compare them directly, I remember the 4050 being a little thin on my voice. Did you listen to the pattern comparison I did? Just wondering if it was helpful.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Parker View Post
That's right! I just got the last one!
Coolnessheh
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I've been trying to find out some more spec on this mic such as Self Noise and SPL but haven't heard anything back.
Does anyone on here know these specs?
I wanted to know that myself. I don't expect others to do what I did and take a chance, even with kidvybes saying it would be cool, I was apprehensive. But I was so arse-whipped trying to find a tube mic that I wouldn't have to get modded right out of the gate that I just went for it. So far, they're holding up to it. I'm going to burn em some more today since I'm home.

They're most sensitive and I didn't notice much if any noise. To even get them to work as room mics, I had to space them 20' apart, 7' up and 8' or so out from my kit. Gain on the DMP3 was halfway up on the lo setting (so about 21dB) and I can't remember what the slider on my interface was at, it wasn't much. I would be surprised if max SPL was more than 120dB or so. That's just me guessing though.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Check your PM!

VERY GOOD NEWS

Peace
Illumination
COME ON MAN! DON'T KEEP US IN THE DARK!
YOU'VE BEEN TALKING TO CRAZY EDDIE I HOPE.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappy View Post
Hmmm...I guess I'll never know what I'm missing.
...here's 6 more chances to find out!...

Stellar CM-6 EF86/EF806 Tube Condensor Microphone - eBay (item 130469379569 end time Jan-27-11 00:54:50 PST)

Quote:
COME ON MAN! DON'T KEEP US IN THE DARK!
YOU'VE BEEN TALKING TO CRAZY EDDIE I HOPE.
...yes, upgrade options for the CM-6 are being addressed (for those who may be interested)...can't say much now, but the options are quite impressive...details to follow...
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

...OK...here's another quick vocal snippet...this time it's a female vocalist with a very broad dynamic range...once again, this is a raw, untreated file...recorded about 1 to 2 feet from the CM-6...the second file is the same vocal with just a touch of treatment...this is vocalist Jesse Kussack...
Attached Files

JesseCM6.mp3 (626.6 KB, 1379 views)

JesseCM6lighttreatment.mp3 (684.8 KB, 1146 views)

Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
...OK...here's another quick vocal snippet...this time it's a female vocalist with a very broad dynamic range...once again, this is a raw, untreated file...recorded about 1 to 2 feet from the CM-6...the second file is the same vocal with just a touch of treatment...this is vocalist Jesse Kussack...
What tube are you using, the Valvo still? Sounds awesome dude...
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
What tube are you using, the Valvo still? Sounds awesome dude...
...yes, still the Valvo E80F...and Jesse can be tough to track...she's got mad dynamic range...this is a girl who sings at live shows without a mic sometimes...she's got her own "God-given" PA...Musical Blessings!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
...yes, still the Valvo E80F...and Jesse can be tough to track...she's got mad dynamic range...this is a girl who sings at live shows without a mic sometimes...she's got her own "God-given" PA...Musical Blessings!
Yeah, I let my wife listen and pointed out the 1 to 2 feet back. Yeah, Jesse can wail no doubt. I'll bet she could blow your ear out if you got too close.

We messed around with Blumlein last night but she hasn't sang in a long time and was struggling a bit. I'm gonna try backing her off another couple of inches and see if it smooths out on the top end a little. It was a little edgy, but not harsh at all. Still only have about 10 hours of burn on em. Which reminds me, I'm gonna hook em up right now and burn some more.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks so much for the heads up, KidVybes

I literally stumbled on a link to this while looking up Apex 460 mods on Google. Based on what you posted, and especially Dave Thomas's endorsement, I just bought one on Ebay...for $315, there was magically a 10% off coupon in my mailbox when I logged on!

Now the question is: what do I do with the Apex 460 I just got from the FedEx guy yesterday? I bought it to have it sent out for modding ($349). I tried it last night and was surprised that it was actually pretty usable right out of the case. Should I just put a new/better tube in it and have it for a different sound?

If so, what tubes would be recommended? And how easy is it to get into the Apex to do the replacement?

I just joined the forum although I've lurked for a long time. I'm a singer (lucky enough to have been produced by Jack Douglas and Jack Richardson among others) so mics are definitely my thing ;-) I'm blessed to have a vintage U-67 but that's way too precious to use just doing songwriter vocals at home, so I'm digging all this Chinese clones/modding that's going on.

Thanks again Kid for the tip!

Michael Lee Smith
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post
I literally stumbled on a link to this while looking up Apex 460 mods on Google. Based on what you posted, and especially Dave Thomas's endorsement, I just bought one on Ebay...for $315, there was magically a 10% off coupon in my mailbox when I logged on!

Now the question is: what do I do with the Apex 460 I just got from the FedEx guy yesterday? I bought it to have it sent out for modding ($349). I tried it last night and was surprised that it was actually pretty usable right out of the case. Should I just put a new/better tube in it and have it for a different sound?

If so, what tubes would be recommended? And how easy is it to get into the Apex to do the replacement?

I just joined the forum although I've lurked for a long time. I'm a singer (lucky enough to have been produced by Jack Douglas and Jack Richardson among others) so mics are definitely my thing ;-) I'm blessed to have a vintage U-67 but that's way too precious to use just doing songwriter vocals at home, so I'm digging all this Chinese clones/modding that's going on.

Thanks again Kid for the tip!

Michael Lee Smith
...wow...the CM-6 is a bargain at $350...you really scored a deal with that coupon!...

...as far as swapping out tubes go, it's a pretty simple process in either mic...while the CM-6 benefits from a NOS EF86 upgrade (or the E80F type tube which I'm currently using in my mic), the Apex 460 generally sounds better with an NOS GE 6072 tube (or you can also try a 6201/12AT7WA as another option)...since mics like the 460 are usually stocked with a cheap Chinese made 12AX7, replacing the tube with a better quality NOS tube (with a lower gain rating like the 12AT7 or 12AY7/6072) will usually smooth out the mic's response, taming any high-end harshness...

...with the mic unplugged, simply unscrew the base of the mic and slide off the body sleeve to reveal the tube/socket assembly...be carefull not to handle the circuit or any of the exposed components...sometimes there's a bracket supporting the tube in position, that has to be removed...gently rock the stock tube side to side as you pull it out of the socket...it sometimes helps to wipe the new tube with a tissue to remove any oil from your fingers which can heat up and damage the tube, once you set it in the socket...you should burn in the new tube for 48-72 hours, before you judge any sonic improvements...

...and of course, there's a number of mods that can also be done to the 460 (already implemented on the CM-6) if you chose to do so...search the forum for "Apex 460 mod", as there's quite a bit of info to be read thru...good luck with your "tube rolling"!...
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

...second auction listing is selling thru much quicker than the first...more than half the quantity is gone only after a few days...
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

box

Quote:
that sounded slightly boxy to me, but i'm sure it has nothing to do with the mike
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarta2 View Post
that sounded slightly boxy to me, but i'm sure it has nothing to do with the mike
...well, this clip was recorded in my home (bedroom) studio, which has only minor acoustic treatment...Jesse's dynamic range is so powerful that it brought the "room" more into play than most other vocalists I track at home...I believe that's what you're hearing...more importantly, the mic handled her power without any overload issues...
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

everything consideret, what finally matters, is the music created
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

[Edit:] I won't erase the following message, since it would make the ones that follow difficult to understand, and since other people may stumble on the same problem I did, but let's state from the get-go that I was mistaken.

The samples did catch my interest, so I had a look at the listing on eBay. At the end of the item's description, we can read:

Quote:
Thanks for looking and reading. Please ask all questions before you bid or purchase this microphone. All sales are final.
Since I did have a question, I clicked on eBay's "Ask a question" link, which sends you to a FAQ. If you don't find your answer in the FAQ (I didn't), you can then choose the "I want to contact the seller" option. Up to this point, there was nothing unusual: I've followed this procedure often enough with other eBay sellers in the past. But here, for the first time, I got this result:

Quote:
We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing.
So the seller asks that you contact him if you've got any question, but actually configured his eBay profile so that he cannot be contacted by a potential customer (cannot be contacted anymore, since Kid managed to do it in the past). I personally find this a little disturbing.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search